Akai Breadmaker has anyone had success with this

rj5, Jul 24, 9:10pm
I brought this brand new on sunday, made my first loaf of bread with granulated yeast and when it came out was the size of a bun, so brought new breadmaker yeast tried again and was another small bun size loaf, im sure recipe book is not right, it has only 1 1/2 tsp of yeast in it whcih doesn't seem alot

biggles45, Jul 24, 9:20pm
I only use 2 tsp of dried yeast for 700gms flour making bread by hand, so yeast content seems reasonable. We gave up on breadmakers, have had several brands and results vary, one day a really good loaf - next day small heavy brick. Only thing I would suggest is get flour etc out before hand so it is room temp, warm breadmaker pan with warm water, make sure water that goes in the machine is hand hot - too hot will kill yeast, too cold and it won't work within the time the machine allows. I have even added water to yeast in a jug, waited for it to froth before adding to flour etc in machine which seems to help.

rj5, Jul 24, 10:38pm
thanks for that advice, I used cold water so that could be a problem straight away

jasandlis, Jul 25, 12:08am
Hi,
I have 2 of these, used almost daily, no problem at all.
Basic bread receipe i use is
3tsp yeast (red top)
3 c white flour
1 c wholemeal flour
1tsp salt
2tsp sugar
2T low salt marg
1 1/3 cups warm water

works everytime - normally bumps the lid!
Cheers.

rj5, Jul 25, 6:49am
jasandlis- do you put the liquids in the bottom first then dry ingredients! And is there no milk powder in it either!

jns, Jul 25, 7:57am
Yes, put the water in first then the flour next then everything else on top.This is the way I do it and usually works.Some recipes have milk powder, some dont.And with the yeast, go for the Surebake one with the red lid.It's great for breadmakers.

jasandlis, Jul 25, 9:47am
Hi rj5 - I put everything in the order I listed, seems to work lol. Don't bother with milk powder as we use within 24 hours (we dont buy any bread etc all home made), if I'm doing something that I think will be around longer like scrolls or twists I use 1c milk with 1/3c water, works the same as putting milk powder, really the milk just keeps the bread fresh longer.

nauru, Jul 25, 9:47am
Depends what the manufacturer recommends to add first for your breadmaker,dry or wet, they all differ. Mine is wet first, a previous machine was dry first.
As jns says, use Edmonds surebake yeast (red cap).I've tried a few types and go back to surbake. I always add 2 tablsp milk powder to my bread too, just my preference.If using wholemeal flour add 1 tablsp gluten flour for each cup.

jasandlis, Jul 25, 9:53am
rj5 - another quick variant for you.
do ingredients as above but add (in order)
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg (or mixed spice)
1 cup raisins/sultanas on the fruit beep.
use menu 5 sweet.
makes a great fruit loaf! if you swap out the raisins for a full fruit mix this works well as a hot cross bun dough.

*always make sure your water/milk is luke warm*
good luck.

rj5, Jul 27, 3:55am
Yay thanks to (jasandlis) I madea lovely loaf of bread, the only thing is that it has shrunk down in the middle, but its better than the first 2 times :)

kmr48, Nov 22, 4:05am
has anyone this brand of breadmaker & how have you found it for making bread!

joe50, Apr 28, 9:08pm
I have had this machine at least once a week for about 3 years and I'm very happy with it.
The manual included is wrong with the bread sizes and amounts.
Use 340 ml (340 g on scales) of water, and 570 g of flour (out of which about 130 g high grade, the rest wholemeal) for my wholemeal bread.
oil two tablespoons, salt a teaspoon, sugar two tablespoons, yeast a teaspoonful. Yeasts can differ, so try it and the adjust. Milk powder two Tsp.
I'm using sunflower seeds and poppy seeds additionally.