I'm not a winter person, to me soup is the only

gennie, Jul 24, 11:10pm
good thing about it (bring on summer any day).So to make the most of soup season I have been having soup for lunch.Fortunately the local supermarket has had some great specials on the fresh-in-the-pouch type so it has been not at too great a cost (fav so far was the Moroccan chicken, chickpea with cumin and mint).However I need some inspiration to make some more varieties of soup myself.I make good Tomato soup, pumpkin soup and minestrone (secret is a couple of spoons of pesto added to the pot just before serving),But I want to expand my range.Please tell me your good soup recipes - the ones that are full of flavour and hearty on a winters day.

Thanks in advance.

crazycolt, Jul 24, 11:15pm
just did a beef bourguignon stoop

245sam, Jul 24, 11:16pm
gennie, we enjoy a variety of soups but I'm wondering.are you wanting crockpot/slow cooker or conventionally cooked recipes!Try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using Soup as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option - you'll find lots of earlier threads with a variety of flavours and cooking methods.:-))

indy95, Jul 24, 11:35pm
Gennie, I have bumped one of the soup threads for you. If you do a search as 245sam suggests you will find page after page devoted to every soup recipe you can possibly imagine. I'm also a devoted fan and I'm always looking for new recipes to add to my ever-growing collection.

iriegirl, Jul 25, 4:20am
My favourite is a gutsy chicken gumbo, if you want to turn it into a more substantial "meal" serve it over rice, and of course, on a really cold day with extra tabasco! Warming and filling!

kesley, Jul 25, 4:47am
My very favourites are spicy bacon bone and tomato (recipe here: http://misscookie.co.nz/!post=1410) and another one which is called Mexican beef, lime and tortilla. That one came from a Simon and Alison Holst book, and I'd be happy to give it to you if you like.
And recently, I've been making chicken ramen, which is awesome, especially once you fill it with noodles and egg and spinach and veges. And chicken, obviously. Again, always happy to share recipes!

luvmykicks, Jul 25, 4:49am
Here is the potato and leek soup my 5 year old makes for dinner most weeks at the moment. So so easy.

70g butter
1 onion, diced
1 clove crushed garlic
2 leeks, sliced
1 litre chicken stock
2 potatoes
Small tub sour cream

Soften and cook the onions, garlic and leeks in the butter until soft. Add stock and potatoes. Simmer for 25 mins. Take off heat and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool. When cooled add sour cream and food process/ stick blend.
Could also stick blend when hot, I just allow mine to cool so I don't warp my food processor.

So delicious. Never thought I would eat potato and leek soup!

xanthippe, Jul 25, 6:29am
pumpkin and chicken

Add chicken pieces, water a ( one cup for a thick soup more for a thinner one)a little soy sauce and a little crushed garlic to a pot and leave to simmer while you do something else.

While you are at it chuck the pumpkin in the microwave for 30 mins

One hour later
strain the chicken liquid and add the skinned and seeded pumpkin, puree with one of those stick blenders or a potato masher.

add the chunkily shredded chicken flesh. and grind some pepper to taste

DELISH

elliehen, Jul 25, 10:04am
MOROCCAN LENTIL SOUP

Cook in 2 Tablespoons oil gently till soft:
1 finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
2 finely diced stalks of celery
DO NOT BROWN

Add 1 tsp each of:
turmeric
cumin
ginger
half teaspoon cinnamon
and a good grind of black pepper

Add:
1 can of brown lentils in brine (undrained)
1 can chickpeas in brine (undrained)
1 can crushed tomatoes (can be flavoured with roast capsicum or garlic)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup dried red lentils
2 cups of water (can add a little more later if it looks too thick)

Simmer gently until veg and red lentils are cooked and celery is soft - about 20 mins

Salt to taste, although the brine with the pulses may be salty enough

Use stick blender to mush it, and add the juice of one lemon

Serve with a garnish of very thin slices of lemon :)

lythande1, Jul 25, 6:29pm
Bacon bone soup, which has loads of veges too.
Goulash, beef, potato, capsicum, stock, bay leaf, paprika, onion, make it as thick or thin as you like. No, it does NOT have tomato in it.

pygmyhippo, Jul 27, 2:44am
Google for Jamie Oliver's Cauliflower Cheese soup recipe, it's delicious.

matuq, Jul 27, 7:22pm
Do you "prepare" the pumpkin before you microwave!

stells3, Jul 27, 9:34pm
http://italian.food.com/recipe/minestrone-margaret-fultons-374623This is my all time favourite.It makes a huge amount and freezes really well.

microman33, Jul 27, 10:22pm
Iririgirl do you have a recipe for that soup.Thanks