So how do you make Semolina pudding.

cookiebarrel, Jul 28, 2:34am
just plain, the way our mum's made it.Tapioca pudding I can do, but realised that I haven't made semolina.Looked up the Edmonds book and it didn't have it and there is no 'how to make' on the packet.Have a craving for semolina and apricots.

firemansgirl, Jul 28, 2:42am
600ml, 1 pint milk
45gm, 2-3 oz semolina
25gm, 1oz caster sugar
15g,or a knob of butter
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (to taste)

Well grease an ovenproof dish
Put milk into pan and heat until lukewarm
Sprinkle in the semolina
Cook slowly, stirring all the time until it comes to the boil and thickens
Add sugar and butter
Remove from the heat and pour into the ovenproof dish
Grate (or sprinkle ready ground) nutmeg over the top
Put into a moderate oven (160C) for 30 minutes

biggles45, Jul 28, 2:42am
600ml milk
45gsemolina
25g caster sugar
15g butter
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Grease an ovenproof dish. Put milk into a pan and heat until lukewarm, sprinkle in the semolina. Cook slowly, stirring until it comes to the boil and thickens. Stir in sugar and butter. Remove from the heat and pour into the ovenproof dish.Sprinkle ground nutmeg over the top. Bake in oven at 160 for 30 mins.
I add a couple of handfuls of sultanas with the sugar/butter.

cookiebarrel, Jul 28, 3:09am
Thanks guys.For some reason I thought you made it on the stove top.
Guess what pudding tonight will be ;-)

harrislucinda, Jul 28, 5:10am
yescanbemadeon thetopofstove
butwatchitdoes.ntcatchonthebottomofpan
haveonlowheat

biggles45, Jul 28, 5:36am
It is made on the top, and you could eat it then, but puttting in oven helps it to thicken more, fruit to soften more and forms a skin - we used to fight over the skin as kids!

kiwitel, Jul 28, 5:55am
When I was a child my mum always made me a semolina pudding and at the end whipped up 1 or a couple of eggs- white or yolk or both ! and stirred the fluffy egg mixture through. I just loved it but she cannot remember how she made it. I bought semolina and now can make it but not sure about the egg. Does anyone know! I used to love it. Wonder if it will be as good as I rememeber.

harrislucinda, Jul 28, 9:51pm
yescanbeatin thewholeeggasin ricepudding

davidt4, Jul 28, 10:41pm
Try this recipe, using semolina instead of sago.The semolina probably won't take as long to cook, and it won't become transparent.

Sago Custard Pudding

50g sago

1/4c sugar

2 eggs, separated 

1 tsp vanilla
 extract
600ml milk or coconut milk

Simmer the sago and milk for 20 mins (it will expand and go transparent but you don't want it soft and soggy)

Take a small amount of sago out of the pot and put into another bowl, pour the beaten egg yolks into the bowl with the small amount of sago in it, then add the whole lot back to the main pot -don't pour the eggs straight into the pot or you will get scrambled eggs.
Bring back to the boil and add the sugar and vanilla.
Remove from the heat and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites. The mixture at this point will become very light and fluffy and double in size.

kiwitel, Jul 28, 11:02pm
That sounds right. Thank you so much david4. Will be making that tonight!

cgvl, Jul 29, 12:01am
Semolina custard (taken from the back of an old semolina packet)
1960's version
600mls milk
3Tbsps Semolina (if using the 15ml Tbsp you will possibly want 4Tbsp )
1tsp van essence (approx)
1Tbsp sugar

Make a thin paste with the semolina, sugar and a little of the milk.
In a saucepan bring rest of milk and van essence to boil.
Stir in the semolina paste and continue to stir until thickened.
Pour into individual serving dishes if desired. Left to get cold it will set.

My version uses the same ingredient measurements but I put it all into the pot together and stir until it comes to boil and then turn element off and continue to stir until thick.

terraalba, Jul 29, 12:13am
I used to make this one for my kids too. They did indeed enjoy it but I wouldn't make it now. Full of wheat carbs.

nzrose7, Jul 29, 12:46am
Same as rice pudding, etiher in the oven at the same time as a roast, or stew, or on the stove top in a saucepan.Add a beaten egg to make it richer.

ayglepaygle, Jul 29, 4:06am
I cook it the same way as cgvl, put all into the pot together - easy.

janzvanz, Jul 30, 3:54am
Yum!I used to make it too, but sometimes I used to make what we called Ice Cream Pudding.Make the semolina as above, but add 2 beaten egg yolks to the milk and cook slowly as usual.Stir in some lemon Zest, then beat the egg whites till fluffy and fold through.We all used to love it.

artemis, Jul 30, 4:06am
I was taught this by an Indian friend. In a saucepan, toast semiolina and a few broken cashew pieces gently in butter until light golden. Add milk and sugar and a small handful of currants. Cook gently till thickened. Add ground seeds from 2 or 3 (or to taste) cardamon pods. Nice with a slice or two of tinned mangoes or peaches.If you use about the same proportions of milk and semolina as above, the other ingredients are to taste.

cookiebarrel, Jul 31, 2:22am
Thanks to you all, much appreciated.