When a recipe says to ''brown chicken'' in a .

snicketl, Aug 6, 4:33am
frying pan, does that mean, just brown the outside layer! How long would you do each side for to brown it! I've never followed a receipe with this instruction before, after that you put it together with the other ingredients into the oven. I'm always wary when cooking chicken, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

eastie3, Aug 6, 4:46am
Just fry it in a pan until it is nicely browned all over.It should take a five minutes or so each side,and then follow the recipe.Browning starts the cooking process and more importantly,it adds flavour.If you are doing chicken pieces (or any other meat for that matter) don't overcrowd the pan so that it stews rather than browns.Use a med-high heat.

fisher, Aug 7, 1:35am
na. it means ya have to get a BROWN chicken as opposed to a WHITE chicken. do you know that white chickens lay white eggs and brown chickens lay brown eggs:}}.

winnie231, Aug 7, 2:34am
Bahaha - fisher :D
Are you stuck at home & bored because of the rain! You should be out in the glasshouse instead of stirring here lol!
Snicketl - just follow easties instructions and you'll be fine.

cookessentials, Aug 7, 2:59am
Oooh, you tease!

vinee, Aug 7, 3:29am
"Browning meat" means to cook until brown on the outside which will seal in the juices and flavour.
It may or may not be cooked through depending on the rest of the recipe.
ieyou might brown the outside of the pieces and then put in the other ingredients and cook through together.

lx4000, Aug 7, 3:42am
talking of eggs . . . . . aracana (sp)hens lay green eggs!

samsnan, Aug 7, 3:51am
But then you need to cook the green eggs with ham.

indy95, Aug 7, 3:53am
Aha ! So that's where I've been going wrong all these years !

3jtrader, Aug 7, 6:13am
Would you believe that chocolate milkshakes come from those brown cows you see grazing out in the paddocks!

eastie3, Aug 7, 6:25am
Yep,it sounds good to me.

taurus2005, Aug 7, 6:31am
This thread reminds me of the time when as kids we decided to bake a cake, the recipe said cream butter and sugar - my friend said - "we havnt got any cream".