Butter Chicken

Page 2 / 8
holdenss, Apr 16, 5:43am
Oops thats what happens when I read on the Run lol! Sorry Bout that uli, your recipe sounds Awesome, It wouldnt of sounded out of place If your'd mentioned skinning the chicken! thats how scatch it sounds! not much cream though? but thats my preference mmmm cream!
All seriousness though It does sound great, Illhave to try It then . . If its better. . ill sell ItHehe

And If you guys want your curry thicker: flour 1 part mixed with milk or crean 2 parts, i. e 50gm flour/100ml milk, then stir into cooking mixure slowly stirring till preferred thickness.

knowsley, Apr 16, 6:30am
Hey Uli, having tried many, many different BC recipes, I think the biggest advancement in the taste of mine came with the addition of dried Fenugreek (Methi) leaves, ground up until close to a powder. Makes a lovely difference in taste, and gets it closer to that restaurant flavour.

justdelite, Apr 16, 6:37am
Wow you guys are amazing! x

uli, Apr 16, 6:41am
Go an cook it - I am sure you wouldn't buy any sauces from sandra after that LOL :)

uli, Apr 16, 6:42am
Yeah - fenugreek is nice - but haven't used it in Butter chicken yet ...

andrea1978, Apr 17, 12:00am
MMM I don't even like butter chicken and I wanna try this recipe! :D

Oh and what is garlic PULP and ginger PULP? Can i just chop it/grate it?

jubblieme, Apr 17, 12:12am
The best butter chicken is the chicken tonight one. You cook your chicken then add the chicken tonight sauce simmer for a little bit add 400-500ml of cream and aprox 4 tablespoons of brown sugar mix til sugar and cream combined mmmmmm yummo!

uli, Apr 17, 1:39am
Yep you can - I just mash it up to a pulp - but any way of making it small will work LOL :)

samsnan, Apr 17, 5:07am
Someone please tell me who would have all of those things just sitting in your pantry to make ulis butter chicken. Perhaps if you were going to make it every week it might be ok, but to have to go and buy all that stuff, sorry I would not be bothered.

kirinesha, Apr 17, 5:09am
We have all of that plus much more.

samsnan, Apr 17, 5:19am
kirinesha you probably use alot of those kind of spices each day so yes it would be worth it but to get all that for just 2 people who probably only have indian food once every few months it would not be worth it. I love a good butter chicken but not every week. Each to their own I guess.

kirinesha, Apr 17, 5:26am
I guess that's why this is called the Recipes section, not the Sachets and Chicken Tonight section!

samsnan, Apr 17, 5:32am
Kiriinesha you made me smile how right you are. Must go and cook some tea for a husband who thinks dinner isnt really dinner unless its got meat and 3 veg although he does have Thai or indian if we go out for a meal. Hates pasta but will eat mac cheese so go figure.

kirinesha, Apr 17, 5:33am
Nice that he will eat Thai or Indian though Samsnan! You have a lovely night, I'm taking my husband out for dinner (but I'm making him walk the 3-4 ks to get there! ). I'm evil!

huntme33, Apr 17, 7:06am
The best best butter chicken closest to a restaurant ( I think) is the asian gourmet sachet in the purple packet from the supermarket. I won't do it any other way! Get 2 packets and double the cream, so it has heaps of sauce! dont use water like it says and use tomato puree instead of canned tomatoes. It's the best and my kids love it

uli, Apr 17, 8:12am
Hmmm - I have but then ... I like cooking ...
So let's have a look what is really 'exotic' there:
yoghurt - pretty normal I would think
ground almonds, chili powder, bay leaves, ground cloves, ground cinnamon - all very normal and common things in anybody's pantry?
Garam masala, green cardamom pods, ginger and garlic - might be a bit "exotic" to NZlanders who do not cook Indian food regularly ...
Tomatoes (tinned), salt, chicken, skinned, boned and cubed, butter,
oil, onions, fresh coriander, chopped, cream - should all be pretty normal fare in any household? ?

So all in all - I would think apart from Garam masala, green cardamom pods, ginger and maybe garlic - anything else should be readily available in your pantry?

Correct me if I am wrong - as I am still not quite sure how the "average" kiwi cooks LOL :)

Have been told by kirinesha though there is no such thing as the "average kiwi housewife" ...

jamjars05, Apr 17, 8:19am
have a look here...
http://onceuponafeast. blogspot.com/2005/09/butter-chicken-ma
kkhani-murghi.html
(two parts, click the hyperlink for the other recipe)

this about the best authentic BC recipe there is. doesn't taste like the chicken in tomato soup that curry places seem to like to serve these days

uli, Apr 17, 8:28am
Do you realize that most "restaurants" will (of course) use a "packet mix" to cut costs ... so of course you will be "closest" to a restaurant "taste" if you use a packet mix LOL :)

Which of course says nothing about how the many different Original Indian versions would taste like :)

I am not joking - but many American friends were very disappointed with pizzas in Italy - as they tasted nothing like the American (deep dish) version LOL :)

uli, Apr 17, 8:30am
Ok here goes:

Butter Chicken – Makkhani Murghi Chicken

From Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cookery

Prep time: 10 minutes (sauce can be made the day before)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
Boneless, tandoori chicken cut up into 1-2” cubes (any cooked chicken will do in a pinch, but tandoori really does add the right flavor)
Sauce
4 tbsp tomato paste
Water to make 1 cup when mixed with tomato paste
1” fresh ginger, peeled and grated
10oz/300ml cream
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 fresh green chili, seeded & finely chopped
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground
4 oz/100g unsalted butter or ghee (Indian clarified butter)
Directions
1. 1. In a large measuring cup, add tomato paste and add enough water to make 1 cup, mixing as you go. Add everything except the chicken to blend the sauce well.

2. In a large sauté pan or skillet, melt the ghee/butter and add the sauce. Bring to a simmer and stir until butter is well incorporated in the sauce. Heat for one minute or so.

3. Add the chicken and stir until they chicken is heated through – just a few minutes. It’s ready to serve

uli, Apr 17, 8:31am
Pretty much the same ingredients?
Minus the yoghurt - funnily enough ...

karlacaldwell, Apr 18, 9:47am
LOL when my kids order this from our local restaurant the Owner always replies with "2 boring chickens"

holdenss, Apr 20, 3:24am
Hey uli do you have a Korma recipe? or is It pretty much the same but swap the cream for Coconut cream and add cashews? Also a good tear drop Naan Recipe would be nice?

uli, Apr 20, 8:52am
Yep could do - or try this:
Chicken and Pistachio Korma

4 onions, quartered
¾ cup pistachio kernels
4 green chillies
30ml oil
1 ½ tbs ginger
1 ½ tbs garlic
1 tbs coriander powder
1 tsp white pepper powder
1 kg diced chicken thigh fillets
salt to taste
¾ cup yogurt
½ cup cream
½ tsp garam masala powder (made from roasted cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom and black peppercorn)

Boil onions in one cup of water, drain, cool and puree.
Puree pistachios and green chilli, keeping a few nuts aside for garnish.
Heat the oil and add the onions and sauté for four minutes, do not brown.
Add ginger and garlic paste.
Fry for one minute and stir in coriander and pepper powders.
Add pistachio and green chilli paste and cook for about a minute.
Put in the chicken with the salt and mix well.
Add a little water (quarter of a cup) and cook gently until done.
Stir in the yogurt and cook for a further two minutes.
Add cream and garam masala.
Garnish with pistachio nuts and serve hot.

uli, Apr 20, 8:55am
2/3 cup warm milk/water
1 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter)
2 tbsp. yogurt
2 tsp. kalonji (also known as black onion seeds or nigella or black cumin seeds - those are optional, I made naan without them)

Whisk the warm milk/water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved.
Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee and the yogurt.
Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes.
Divide dough into 6 pieces.
Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil.
Brush the bread with a little of the remaining ghee and sprinkle with some of the kalonji.
Cook naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

fisher, Apr 20, 8:58am
Target next week tests out all the "come in a jar" butter chicken sauces next week... I will be riveted to my lazyboy :}}