1/4-1/2 pumpkin
3 large potatoes
1 large onion
2-3 garlic cloves crushed
Bacon hock (optional)
all into a 5L stock pot
top up withwater (3/4 full pot)
boil until all veges tender
mash or stick blend to desired consistency (add more water if needed)
enjoy

cgvl, Jun 21, 6:03am
mine is soup mix, chicken stock, carrots, parsnip, celery, a clove of garlic, onions, pumpkin and potato, sometimes I add swede and tomates as well.
Chop onions, celery and garlic and either chop or grate the rest of the vegies. put it all into a large pot, add a handful or all the soup mix depends on size of pot and number of people you are cooking for. Cover with chicken stock, or water. You can add bacon bones/hock, chicken, lamb or beef if desired. I also add about 1tsp curry powder to the pot and pepper. I do add salt but if using bacon leave it to near the end otherwise could end up too salty.
As a rule of thumb I allow one extra piece of vegie per person ie all of the above then one extra piece.
I know its not precise but I cook for between 2 and 20 people so dont really go by a standard recipe.
Oh if you grate the vegies it thickens nicely and dont need to mash or blend. Its great for getting fussy eaters to have vegies they say they dont like.

vinee, Jun 21, 6:29am
I don't use the Kings brand as it has a powdered "flavourings".
NW has an Alison Holst one in the bins with all the barley and split peas etc, plus bits of dried vege for flavour and there are other brands too, with out the seasoning (which can be too salty if adding bacon).
then it's as above - lots of fresh vege and I add herbs and a can of chopped tomatoes for a sort of minestone feel.

fifie, Jun 21, 8:29pm
My fav veg soup. Beef bones browned in hot frying pan, theninto a large pot with 2 bayleaves,few peppercorns, any clean vegtable peelings, if u haven't got peelings use a carrot,onion,potato etc cut in half, few celery leaves,cover with water Lid on simmer till meat is coming off bone. Remove bones set aside, strain liquid,discard peelings take any meat off bones keep, discard bones. Sit stock in fridge overnight, next day skim off any fat put stock into pot with carrots,onions,potatos,celery, whatever veg you want to use bring to the boil, throw in agood handful of soup mix, lid on and simmer.Near the end of cooking season with salt/pepper, taste, sometimes i add a small teaspoon vegemite or marmite, Shred your meat you kept and add this.Can make with chicken, bacon hock,beef, whatever you like, the veg peelings and browning of beef bones gives stock a xtra boost of flavour, usually grate the vegs to helps thicken it up. Make a large pot and freeze whats left.

kesley, Jun 22, 2:19am
My recipe, which I've spent a good three winters perfecting (slightly impressive - I'm only 21!) can be found on my website:
http://misscookie.co.nz/!post=1410
It's great because it uses mainly water (only a teaspoon of powdered chicken stock) and relies on a bacon hock - boiling bacon works a treat, too - to give it massive flavour. It's also incredibly cheap to make (I'm a student, so I eat heaps of it) and makes 6L at a time (read: 12 large servings) for around $10. It's entirely from scratch and all measurements are given . apart from peeling the bacon hock, it's the easiest recipe in the world.
Do try it! And hey, leave me a comment to tell me what you think!

melford, Jun 23, 6:59am
Very nice thanks for sharing. I used a ham hock. One point though we found the teaspoon of chilli made it very hot. I will halve that next time. Thanks for sharing, it was nice to find a recipe that doesn't use pkt soup mixes as a base

rthomas80, Jun 23, 7:13am
the way my nanas do it and it is so yummy is grate all vegies potatoes,carrots any vegies you like chopped celery add kings soup mix and beef shin on bone and it is yummy as

rthomas80, Jun 23, 7:13am
and just uses water

paix1, Jun 23, 7:21am
.mine pretty much as most of those above, but its never ever the same each time as I just chuck in whatever veges are cheap at the supermarket and/or are getting a bit wilted in the fridge lol. Add whatever spices I have to hand, plus the soup mix (I don't like the NW Alison Holst one). And I don't like bacon hocks either - I use ordinary old soup bones or shin meat.

arabelle, Jun 23, 7:23am
Brown things like onions first it adds to the flavour, then I add the harder veges first, and sort of roast them in the pot, with either the chicken or bacon bones. add the water, saltand vegemite or what ever flavourings. then the rest of the veges, either diced if you are having it chunky, or grated.remove meat off the bone, when its done a slow cook, and either blend if you want it smoooth or as is.

westydogs, Jun 23, 7:24am
Scottish Broth the old way, I learned from my granny who died at just over 100 and I am 65.Dried peas (halved in the packet at the supermarket).Soak overnight.Rinse then add bacon hock, fresh pumpkin, swede, carrots, (cut into reasonably large pieces), onion, leek (sliced) let simmer for 2 - 3 hours.Remove vegetables and mash then put back into the mix.Remove hock and cut the meat off, put back into the pot.Then flavour with salt and pepper to taste.I make a large pot of this and then put into the freezer for lunches.

kinna54, Jun 24, 2:28am
I make a similar recipe to yours westy dogs, only these days the kitchen whizz does my grating, dicing. I like to use split peas, barley, or a good plain soup mix.(always well rinsed first, then soaked):sorry I am not a fan of kings mix, it often has a salty stock coating which I find artificial tasting.
I always use a bacon hock, boil up then strip and remove the bone andany fat, then add the vege selection and soup mix. I always try to add kumara, potato, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot, celery, leeks or onions, depending upon the quantity of kumara and parsnip, I sometimes add swede or substitiute 1 or other of the kumara or parsnip, as swede tends to make a sweeter soup.

lythande1, Jun 24, 3:56am
Kings ham and pea soup mix
stock (homemade)
carrots cut finely
celery - inc leaves chopped in blender
grated pumpkin
grated Swede
onion cut finely
Bacon hock
tomatoes
top up withwater (3/4 full pot)
And don't mash, you don't need to

jt56, Jun 24, 4:20am
Just wondering. do you need to boil the bacon hock first and discard the water then put into the stock pot with veges etc! Or just put it all in together after soaking the dried peas and lentils etc. Thanks.

kinna54, Jun 24, 9:04am
No do NOT discard the water, that is where all your precious stock is.
I boil the hock first, leave it to stand and cool where any fat can settle to the top and be skimmed off. I then remove the hock from the water,and strip it, taking off any cooked fat. Return all the bacon pieces to the pot of stock, then add the pre-soaked soup mixand the veges.

jt56, Jun 24, 8:16pm
Thank you Kinna54. I was wondering because of the fat that would come out of the hock when boiled with everything together.

sarahb5, Jun 24, 10:03pm
My vegetable soup is vegetarian and doesn't contain any type of soup mix either - I just cook up a base (mirepoix!) of onion, carrot and celery then add whatever other vegetables I've got around (but not mushrooms) and cover with vegetable stock.I add potato to thicken it or sometimes lentils or rissoni.Every time is different and every time delicious.

aglarana, Jun 24, 10:17pm
Pork hock covered in water. Add one sliced onion, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tsp curry, salt, small amount of pepper. Bring to the boil then let it bubble low for an hour. Dice potato, carrot, pumpkin, whatever other vegies you like. Quarter a cabbage then slice and add it all to the pot. Sprinkle a cup of yellow split peas, split green peas, lentils(whichever you prefer). Bring back to the boil and then reduce heat again. Pull out the pork hock and strip all the meat and rind off it, then slice up the meat how you want and put it back in the pot. I dice up the rind because it's nice and soft and quite flavoursome. Check the seasoning. Another half hour and you're ready to serve.

aglarana, Jun 24, 10:18pm
For less meat you can sub the pork for a couple of shin bones.

punkinthefirst, Jun 25, 4:55am
If you are worried about fat from the bacon hock, just chill the soup overnight and lift the fat off the top. There isn't much fat, anyway.

rover79, Jun 25, 9:32am
Is it ok to use pork bones!

aglarana, Jun 25, 9:35am
Personally, I wouldn't because pork bones break up easily.
However! Pork bones are awesome for a boil up.
Halve or quarter the potatoes, make the carrots chunky and quarter the cabbage then halve it again. If you want a doughboy or kini-kini recipe I can give you those as well.

aglarana, Jun 25, 9:37am
~OR~
You could sieve the pork bones from the broth and pick out all the bones. Time consuming though. But the end result would be the same as the soup with pork hock recipe.

ferita, Jun 25, 9:53am
Thats how I make mine. Leek carrot celery, bouquet garni etc
no meat. Man I would be angry if someone offered me vege soup and it was made with meat.