Dessert recipe needed-vegetable theme

femster, Jun 22, 12:00pm
Hi there
I have pudding club this weekend & need to whip up a dessert made from veggies . Any good ideas out there! Want to avoid carrot cake.

elliehen, Jun 22, 12:10pm
Zucchini chocolate cake!

elliehen, Jun 22, 12:16pm
Pumpkin Pie!

elliehen, Jun 22, 12:24pm
Rhubarb is a vegetable ;)

SOUR CREAM RHUBARB CAKE

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams butter or margarine

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a large ring tin Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature (not Lite or Spreadable)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

femster, Jun 22, 7:25pm
OMG! You guys are amazing! Thanks! All this overnight! Will let you know how it goes!

davidt4, Jun 22, 10:43pm
Chocolate Beetroot Cake (Nigel Slater)

250g beetroot
200g dark chocolate (at least 70 per cent cocoa solids)
4tbsp hot espresso
200g butter
135g plain flour
A heaped tsp of baking powder
3tsp good-quality cocoa powder
5 eggs
190g golden caster sugar
crème fraîche and poppy seeds, to serve

20cm loose-bottomed cake tin

Lightly butter your loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base with a disc of baking parchment. Set the oven at 180ºC
2. Cook the beetroot, whole and unpeeled, in boiling unsalted water. 25 - 40 min. Drain them, let them cool under running water, then peel them, slice off their stem and root, and blitz to a rough purée.
3. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl resting over a pot of simmering water. Don't stir. When the chocolate looks almost melted, pour the hot coffee over it and stir once. Cut the butter into small pieces, the smaller the better, and add to the melted chocolate. Dip the butter down under the surface of the chocolate with a spoon (as best you can) and leave to soften.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa, set aside.
5. Separate the eggs, putting the whites in a large mixing bowl. Stir the yolks together. Now, working quickly but gently, remove the bowl of chocolate from the heat and stir until the butter has melted into the chocolate. Leave for a few minutes, then stir in the egg yolks. Do this quickly, mixing firmly and evenly so the eggs blend into the mixture. Fold in the beetroot.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold in the sugar. Firmly but tenderly fold the beaten egg whites and sugar into the chocolate mixture; take care not to over mix. Lastly fold in the flour, baking powder and cocoa.
7. Transfer quickly to the prepared cake tin and put in the oven, turning the heat down immediately to 160°C or gas 3. Bake for 40 mins. The rim of the cake will feel spongy, the inner part should still wobble a little when gently shaken.
8. Leave to cool (it will sink a tad in the centre), loosen it around the edges with a palette knife after half an hour or so. It is not a good idea to remove the cake from its tin until it is completely cold. Serve in thick slices, with crème fraîche and poppy seeds.

geldof, Jun 22, 11:28pm
Tomato soup spice cake
http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-soup-spice-cake-261232 Avocadoice cream Indian Carrot Halva
http://www.indianfoodforever.com/desserts/gajjar-ka-halwa.ht
ml

Pumpkin and pecan cake
pumpkin date and pineapple cake
- both of which I have recipes for, if you would like them.

And also peanuts are legumes, so you could make 'reeces' peanut butter cups

rosiemoodle, Jun 22, 11:41pm
Carrot Cake

elliehen, Jun 23, 1:47am
You've never tried one!

"There is a great tradition of serving Pumpkin Pie on Thanksgiving Day in both the United States and Canada. It all began when the European settlers first came to the New World and were introduced to the pumpkin by the American Indians. As soon as the settlers realized the pumpkin's versatility they began using it in both sweet and savoury dishes. The English settlers first made a pumpkin pie by substituting fresh pumpkin for the thick pulp of other boiled and spiced fruits that were called for in their sweet pie recipes. Today the pumpkin pie has evolved into an open-faced single crust pie shell that is filled with a smooth custard-like filling made with pumpkin puree, eggs, cream or milk, sugar, and spices (mixture usually consisting of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves). It is considered a 'soft' pie because it is made with an unbaked crust and uncooked filling that is baked until the crust has browned and the filling has set. After letting the pie cool to room temperature, it is usually served with a dollop of softly whipped cream."

http://www.joyofbaking.com/pumpkinpie.html

elliehen, Jun 23, 3:48am
Here's a NZ version.

femster, Jun 23, 8:02am
Oh god, which one to do before tomoro nite!

elliehen, Jun 23, 8:13am
Pumpkin Pie - it's seasonal :)

indy95, Jun 24, 12:38am
Pumpkin and pecan cake
pumpkin date and pineapple cake
- both of which I have recipes for, if you would like them.

[/quote]

Yes please, geldof, I would like both those recipes when you have the time to post them. Thank you in anticipation !

geldof, Jun 24, 1:12am
Indy95,Haven't got time to do them today, but will put them next to the computer and put them up tomorrow.

elliehen, Jun 24, 11:22am
femster, if you pop back, what did you decide to make, how was it received and what did others take!

duckmoon, Jun 24, 11:45am
Beetroot cake

Pumpkin pie

Zucchini cake

geldof, Jun 25, 2:52am
For Indy95
PUMPKIN AND PECAN CAKE
1 cup each finely grated pumpkin and brown sugar
1/2 cup each vegetable oil and sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp each baking powder and Soda Bic
1 1/2 cups each plain flour and whole pecans

Mix pumpkin, sugar, oil , sour cream and eggs until combined.Add Baking powder, Soda Bic, flour and half the pecans.Mix.
Spread inot a greased and lined 20cm square cake tin. Top with remaining pecans.
Bake 180 deg C for 45 min. rest in pan for 5 min, before turning onto a rack to cool.

PUMPKIN, DATE AND PINEAPPLE CAKE(small cake)
1/2 cup well drained crushed peinapple
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup SR flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups grated raw pumpkin
1/2 cup finely chopped dates
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Grease sides and line the base fo a baking tin with baking paper. (a ring tin works well as it provides plenty of surfaces for the cream cheese frosting, but alternatively use 20cm tin).
Set pineapple to drain while preparing rest of the ingreds. Sift the flours, sugar and Baking Soda together and add the rest of the ingreds, mixing to combine.
Bake 180 degC for 45 min.
When cool Ice with cream cheese icing.
40gm butter
100grms cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
squeeze lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar.
Soften butter and cream cheese, then beat together til light and fluffy.

kinna54, Jun 25, 3:09am
with mid winter xmas what about a carrot plum pudding:

I know you wanted to avoid carrot cake, but this is like a xmas pud.
google edmonds classic recipes.or search carrot plum pudding.

Would be yummy and heartwarming on a cold winter night, with a yummy custard and brandy sauce.

indy95, Jun 25, 4:37am
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post them, geldof. I'm sure they will taste as good as they sound.

elliehen, Jun 25, 4:59am
geldof's recipes inspired me to bump the dates thread :)

nunesy, Jun 25, 5:22am
I would've cheated and made normal dessert decorated with fondant veges hee hee.But some of the above recipes are very clever and a good way to get extra veges into you!

indy95, Jun 25, 5:24am
Smart thinking, nunesy ! What a good excuse to eat more cake !

indy95, Jun 25, 11:48pm
I have already posted this recipe in another thread but I think it's worth a second airing. It comes from Digby Law's" A Vegetable Cookbook " and is described as " a moist, rich cake which keeps very well ".

Spiced Potato Cake

Preheat oven to 180Cand grease and flour a 20 cm cake tin. I also put put baking paper in the base which I do with nearly all cakes now.

100 g butter
1 c castor sugar
1/2 c warm cooked sieved potato
50 g dark chocolate melted
2 eggs
3/4 c plain flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t each nutmeg and ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1/2 c chopped blanched almonds
1/4 c milk

Cream butter, sugar and potatoes. Beat in the melted chocolate then the eggs. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients with the almonds and milk.
Bake for 45-60 mins. Can be served plain or iced.