Lamb Rumps

rog.e, Apr 13, 4:31am
How do I cook these to the best advantage?

I have four. Never had any before and can only think to dry roast them.

Thanks.
V

twindizzy, Apr 13, 4:32am
Rumps like steaks or mini-roasts?

margyr, Apr 13, 4:33am
i dont think you can beat a really nice lamb roast, but if you want to jazz it up abit use a sharp knife and make different length stab holes and put slivers of garlic in them, put in a roasting bag with some rosemary and roast.

rog.e, Apr 14, 7:44am
What on earth have I done wrong.

I have four rumps roasted for 35mins in a hot oven. The one on my plate is so tough and chewy.

Is there any way I can save them?

What have I done wrong?

beaker59, Apr 14, 9:16am
Ouch disaster EH! V not sure of reason but either too much cooking or not enough Chop them up and make a stew or curry for tomorrow night.

standard, Apr 14, 9:22am
Do you means the flaps? ? ?

rog.e, Apr 14, 9:29am
Good idea beaker. Need to do something. They are still a bit pink in the interior so ? whether I have inder or overcooked them. Damn it anyway!

Standard: Not the flaps nut round 'eye' of lamb meat is the only way I can describe them. About 10cm across and 6-7cm thick. Like mini roast.

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:34am
oh that bit. . its meant to be eaten pretty much raw... so if its a "bit pink" then its over done... that bits normally seared very quickly on all 4 sides then sliced thinly and served.

rog.e, Apr 14, 9:38am
So damn again.

I missed the boat by roasting them then.

I Googled LambRump and got New Zealand NMeat something-or-other board. They said roast 35 minutes!

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:42am
If the bit is what i think it is. . its eye fillet. . what u described sounds pretty much bang on. . its the little fillet under the large muscle (like a chicken tender loin) to much heat and they just go tense and never relax.

Lamb Rump is the big dark muscle over the bum of the sheep. . tough as dogs balls normally. . but a considerably larger muscle than u describe.

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:45am
Here you go!

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/downloads/Brochure_LambCuts. pdf

have a look

I think u had striploins or rib eye. . but def not rump

rog.e, Jan 31, 12:41am
lol - well I have done the in whatever they are.

Best take up beakers suggestion for tomorrows dinner.

V