Stock, powder or real?

Page 2 / 2
mitsi110, Jul 10, 12:11am
how do you make your stock!

sossie1, Jul 10, 12:12am
Both, it depends on what is in the freezer, when we have a roast so i can use the carcass-not fussed either way.

davidt4, Jul 10, 12:33am
I buy two boiling fowls (they are sometimes labelled "roasting fowl"), thaw overnight, simmervery gently in water in a preserving pan, uncovered,for about 6 hours or until they fall apart.Strain through a colander to remove most of the debris and leave to settle for an hour or so until the fat rises to the top.Skim off the fat and pour the stock through a fine sieve.Pour into containers (I use500 ml plastic yoghurt pots and plastic honey jars), cool completely and freeze.You need to leave free space in the pots of at least 1 cm as the stock expands when it freezes.

I sometimes simmer them in a big slow-cooker overnight - about 12 hours.

(edited to add) If you can be bothered, the flesh from the legs and thighs is perfectly edible and is a good addition to a chicken and vege soup or a chicken salad.The breast meat will be too dry.

terraalba, Jul 10, 1:55am
I do that too but I was wondering if you had any tips for improving the flavour please!

miri_s, Jul 10, 2:05am
My technique is a little different from davidst4.

I brown stock bones or poultry carcasses in a roasting pan.

Then transfer these to a big pot of cold water on the stove top, deglazing the roasting pan and reincorporating this liquid with the stock bones (or you can just continue to use the roasting pan filled with water, in the oven).

At this point Iinclude selection of vegetables (carrots, celery, onions - they don't need to be chopped up much). Often I'll add some bacon pieces, especially with chicken stock.

I'll include a selection of herbs/flavouring appropriate for what I plan to do with the stock (eg. Euro or Asian flavours).Also a few whole peppercorns boost the flavour.

Then simmer in the pot or roasting pan for several hours, until the liquid has taken a gelatinous sheen and and meat is falling off the bones.

Strain liquid, and place in fridge when cool (once chilled the fat turns solid on the surface and so is much easier to remove).

-------I think the browning is a vital aspect of the process, as it creates a lot of flavour, however it will affect the colour of your stock.------

A good stock will jellify when chilled.

miri_s, Jul 10, 2:12am
Just to clarify that by flavouring I mean additions of star anise, fennel seed, ginger root etc.Rather than anything artificial.

gerry64, Jul 10, 2:34am
thank you david - will use my crockpot and then use the meat

davidt4, Jul 10, 2:47am
I prefer to leave the stock without added flavourings, as I never know what I will be using it for - European flavourings would clash with Asian dishes and vice-versa.

Browning the chicken gives flavours that work well with European food but not with Asian.

miri_s, Jul 10, 4:14am
I wasn't trying to go one better than you.I'd agree with the points you've just raised.

To be quite honest, I never make Asian soups, so the classic brown stock method suits me well, as I enjoy the caramelised richness it gives a soup or sauce.The process of browning also reduces the potential for the stock to go cloudy.