Super cheap finger food ideas please .

Page 1 / 2
winnie231, Jun 26, 10:39pm
I've got lots of lovely things I can make when $$ aren't an issue but what are your low budget ideas for finger food for a house warming party.
And by low budget I mean LOW .

wheelz, Jun 26, 10:42pm
chips and dip then!

wheelz, Jun 26, 10:43pm
or a bread dip made in a cob loaf. Sliced french stick, oiled and garlic rubbed.

elliehen, Jun 26, 11:23pm
+ Famous (or infamous) Dunedin toasted cheese rolls
+ Richard Till's mother's mashed potato pinwheel pastries

elliehen, Jun 26, 11:27pm
Richard Till, of TV Kiwi Kitchen fame, has a cookbook out titled 'Kitchen Sink'. In it he has a recipe his mother used to make called pinwheels - puff pastry sheets spread with variations on mashed potato, rolled and chilled in the fridge before slicing into 1/2 cm widths and baking.

Here are fisher's variations on mashed potato:
fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce.
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley.

.suitable for the pinwheels.

kirmag, Jun 26, 11:31pm
Chips n dip, sausage rolls, cherios.

davidt4, Jun 26, 11:47pm
Home made dolmades (rice-stuffed vine leaves).A lot of work but very cheap, and vegetarian.

elliehen, Jun 27, 1:30am
No leaves on the vines down in winnie's wintry Nelson, but some good vino in the making.

modeez, Jun 27, 1:46am
home made pizza bites, home made sushi - tinned tuna, capsicum, cucumber etc, chicken wraps (couple pieces roasted) lettuce tomato cheese red onion, mayo, Tinned Salmon, lettuce and mayo wrapped in wheatmeal bread cut off crust, A couple dollars of mussels half shelled, steamed add sweet chilli sauce, or baked under grill with yum yum mayo, or plain jane with a squeeze of lemon,Could do mini sweetcorn fritters, and/ or mussel fritters, mini bacon/ham and egg pies or quiche.

winnie231, Jun 27, 10:43pm
Thanks for your ideas .
I've got some chickpeas soaking to make hummus with & I'll buy some more today to make mini falafel.
I'm also thinking breadcases would be good as I can make a white sauce, divide it & add sweetcorn to one half & smoked fish to the other.
I'll do some more browsing through the threads here to find some more budget dips .
Pinwheels or mini pizzas sound good too.

kaddiew, Jun 27, 10:53pm
Make tiny scones, halve and top with "good old"mashed hard boiled egg + pinch curry powder.

duckmoon, Jun 28, 12:43am
Do you have ingredients in the cupboard .

Mini scones, mini pikilets

duckmoon, Jun 28, 12:43am
Bring a plate

karenz, Jun 28, 1:25am
Make your own crispy potato wedges using Agria potatoes, make a salsa dip.Also guacomole (if you can find cheapish avocadoes at this time of year) and toasted pita bread.Chicken nibbles can be bought fairly cheaply at the moment too.

winnie231, Jun 28, 1:54am
I've been mentioning that one to my guests .

winnie231, Jun 28, 1:56am
I'm making this as it's one of my fav recipes .

Mint Pea Dip
3 cups frozen green peas
zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (approx. ½ lemon)
1 large clove garlic
¼ cup packed mint leaves
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. sea salt

Cook the peas for 2-3 minutes then plunge them into an ice bath or very cold water to stop the cooking process. Or simply defrost & use without cooking.
Put the garlic in a food processor and pulse to mince. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until pureed.
Serve with raw veges or pita crisps.
This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days if you don't eat it all at once!

duckmoon, Jun 28, 1:56am
Club sandwiches

ruby19, Jun 28, 8:23pm
Onion bahjees are easy and cheap, mini corn fritters. I usually spice mine up abit with mexican flavours. Serve with either sour cream with a bit of chilli sauce mixed in or guacamole.

bambi58, Jun 29, 6:30am
Toast triangles with mashed sardineonion.
Mouse traps - toast topped with vegemite or marmite (if you're lucky!), a little finely chopped onion mixed with grated cheese, thin slicedd tomatoe, salt & pepper. Put under grill untill cheese starts bubbleing.
Tiny savoury scones with onion or spring onion & a little curry powder.

duckmoon, Jun 29, 6:47am
Bread cases. Or does that cry out 1980s

otori, Jun 29, 6:54am
blend a can of baked beans with 250g cottage cheese and at least a tablespoon of cajun mix, add a second can of drained baked beans and mix. Bake in a hot oven for 20mins topped with cheese. Serve with corn chips, carrots and celery or just one of those. This always gets cleaned up at my place :)

elliehen, Jun 29, 12:15pm
Thart's a good one to remember for the next hungry horde.

ma51, Jun 30, 5:23am
elliehen I made some of these today and was very impressed thank you!

ma51, Jun 30, 5:24am
Oh regarding post #5

elliehen, Jun 30, 6:18am
That's great!Richard Till is the son of the late Maurice Till, celebrated collaborative pianist (and soloist) and Richard said that his mother used to make these for the many supper parties for musicians that followed their concerts.