I have excess garlic, can I keep it?

lulu.., Jul 11, 5:46am
Can i keep garlic by separating it into cloves,peeling it cover with olive oil, then storing in fridge! Does it sort of preserve or just go soft and deteriorate! Maybe can I freeze it more sucsessfully!

herself, Jul 11, 6:14am
I suggest you take a look at this sitehttp://www.garlicpassion.com/garlic-infused-olive-oil-dont-do-it-yourself/ and perhaps google "botulism".and then "safe storage of garlic"

kay141, Jul 11, 8:01am
I have extra too and was going to try to freeze it in cloves. Not sure whether to skin it or not. Haven't had time to "google" it.

lulu.., Jul 11, 8:07am
After reading above link olive oil is 'no go' sooooo looks like freezing is the only option. Do I peel it!

kay141, Jul 11, 8:26am
i just googled it. A suggestion I liked was to break it into cloves and put it unskinned into a freezer bag. Take them out as required and they were suitable for cooking. The skin seemed to help prevent freezer burn and they are easier to peel frozen. It is now on my to-do list.

natalie9, Jul 11, 8:29am
Could stick it all in food processor or similar then freeze on tray in teaspoon size portions. Then put in bag/bottle to use as needed.

cat_sandcastle, Jul 11, 9:53am
Google fermented garlic, i have mine in a jar in the fridge.

taurus2005, Jul 12, 9:27am
Just put the whole bulbs in a bag and throw in the freezer.Break off cloves as you need.

fifie, Jul 12, 9:49am
i leave bulbs whole skin on throw them in a bag you buy onions in, it then hangs in the pantry for winter usually till around the next harvest, break of cloves that i need when using and never have a problem. Secret is hang and dry well at harvest and they keep well, still damp they will go mouldy.

beaker59, Jul 13, 4:19am
What my parents did all thier lives, Dad even grew it semi-commercially at one stage and hung sacks in the apple shed for months then took a sack into town once a week and drove around the greengrocers. It was his drinking money :)