The FEIJOA thread - YAY its feijoa season!

Page 22 / 23
fishheadsoup, Mar 22, 12:20am
has anyone made feijoa juice!

juliewn, Mar 22, 12:34am
No. I'm guessing it would be delicious though. This is the link to the TrademeCooks website - for feijoa recipes. each of the threads listed in it will have feijoa recipes. http://trademecooks.11.forumer.com/search.php!mode=results&sid=a5a54090aa3017191a8804bbd1784a2b .my feijoa's are getting bigger - a while from being ripe though. can't wait! Happy Easter Everyone.

dabo, Mar 23, 3:58am
rubs tummy I have just made this afternoon the feijoa cake - exactly as above and it's beautiful.I'm not normally a brilliant baker but this cake is lovely, moist and each slice cutting perfectly yummmmyy

toadfish, Mar 23, 5:21am
Our firm favourite Toadies Fejoa Loaf

Bring to the boil & then simmer for 5mins the followingr.

1 cup chopped Fejoas. (I scoop out the flesh and press into a measuring cup and then when full chop up),
1 cup Water,
1 cup sugar (I have used ¾ Cup and turned out OK),
50grams butter.

Let cool then add:

2 cups flour,
1 tsp Baking Powder,
1 teaspoon of Baking soda ,
1 egg.

Mix well.

This makes 1 loaf.

Bake at 170 degrees for 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean.

I always make 2 loaves at a time, it freezes well and for lunches you can cut a slice off a frozen loaf and by morning tea its defrosted fresh and yummy.

toadfish, Mar 23, 5:23am
I Have all the Fejoas in a bowl on the bench and when they get to soft to eat I scoop them out chop them up and freeze them in 1 cup lots, flat in snaplock bags. then whe I want to make a loaf I kust pop the fejoas in the saucepan and bring to the boil as per recipe. so quick, easy and delicious to make.

lovemydog, Mar 23, 5:32am
Their starting to fall. Can't wait to make fruit crumbles. We have about 30 fall off our tree every day

fhpottery, Mar 23, 6:01am
best fruit tree ever .You've got to try the wine. Home made it is perfect and quite delicious.
Nice stewed with apples in a simple pie (add sugar and a little cinnamon).
I have a very small section (coastal) and have planted about ten trees, as they provide coastal shelter and food. PS: They do not like their roots disturbed so don't dig around the base of a tree. Most types self fertile.
Water during dry spells.
A great tree, so their is no need for people to go hungry when there are so many plants that are easy to grow food with. Plant one now!

kennymac, Mar 23, 5:45pm
. FEIJOA LOAF - This is great as you can freeze the first part of the recipe till you need it then thaw and add your dry ingredients. (from last years feijoa thread) 10 - 15 feijoas peeled & cut, 60g butter, 1c sugar, 1c water or milk boil all together for 5 mins then mash and cool ( can freeze at this stage) then add 2teasp. baking powder, 1 egg, 2c flour, bake at 180* till cooked through and golden double the recipe for a big oven tray.

kennymac, Mar 23, 5:46pm
. FEIJOA MUFFINS - 2 cups self raising flour, 75gm butter, melted, 1 cup chopped feijoas, 2 eggs, finely grated rind of 1 orange, 1/4 cup orange juice, 3/4cup sugar. Melt butter-mix in feijoas. Add unbeaten eggs, orange juice and rind. Mix until combined. Add sugar and flour, put into muffin tins and sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 200C for 15-20 mins.

kennymac, Mar 23, 5:47pm
. FEIJOA CRUMBLE PIE - 400-500g peeled & sliced feijoas. PASTRY- 1C flour, 60g butter, 3-4 Tblsp cold water. Rub butter into flour till looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Add water gradually while mixing till it comes together and forms a smooth ball. Chill in fridge for 20 mins. TOPPING- 1/4C flour, 1/4C coconut, 1/4C rolled oats, 1/4C Brown sugar, 50g butter. Mix all dry ingredients together and rub in butter till crumbly. Pre-heat oven to 200*C. Roll out pastry to fit a 23cm flan tin. Place 1/2 of feijoas in pastry shell and sprinkle 1/4 of crumble mix over. Cover with remaining feijoas and then crumble mix. Bake for 20mins until pastry is golden. Reduce temperature to 180*C and bake another 15 mins.

hartbrake, Mar 23, 8:57pm
You are all so mean When I was very little I ate a whole paper shopping bag (remember those days!) of feijoa's skins and all. I loved them so much. Now I have an allergy and cant eat them! Its so not fair lol

poohbearfan3, Mar 24, 1:05am
if you're using feijoas in cooking (such as muffins etc), do you need to wait until the fruit falls to the ground to use them!so that they're sweet enough!

juliewn, Mar 24, 7:18am
Hi Hartbrake. sorry!. I hope there are lots of other delicious fruits you can enjoy.

juliewn, Mar 24, 7:20am
Hi Rab. yes the skins do soften when cooked. . however I've found that the skins cause a bitterness to anything they're left in, from bottled feijoa's to chutney's, pie's, muffins etc. I always peel them and find I get a nicer feijoa flavour than when the skins are left on.

juliewn, Mar 24, 7:21am
Guess what! Our tree has 14 feijoa's on it - the first season for fruit from it - the fruit are large and ever so tempting - I'm checking them almost every day! Can't wait till they're ready :-)

kennymac, Mar 24, 6:20pm
. FEIJOA AND DATE CHUTNEY - 12 feijoas peeled and chopped 2 onions, finely chopped 1 cup of dates, roughly chopped 1 cup wine vinegar 2 cups brown sugar 1 Tbsp salt 1 tsp ground coriander 3 star anise 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped half tsp chilli paste place all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 to 1 and a half hours or until thickened. Bottle and cover when cold.

morrello1, Mar 25, 6:56am
bump. bump.

tasmum, Mar 26, 1:51am
bumping . That time is upon us again.Can't stand eating them fresh myself but isn't it funny, as I will eat them in muffins, loaves, sauce etc.they just taste different and no "stink" either .Don't like the smell of them ! :)

fisher, Mar 26, 4:05am
Feijoas. . anyone want to send me some.please. Only just planted our trees at new house so have to wait for awhile before they produce.

juliewn, Mar 26, 9:52am
Bumping for Gardening Messageboard Feijoa fans. :-)

juliewn, Mar 26, 10:07am
This is a very popular cake recipe - posted by Smiley-Cherub a couple of years ago - and enjoyed by many since. The recipe includes a whole orange - skin included. substitute feijoa's to equal the size of an orange and make the recipe as shown. I would peel the feijoa's, as the skin can sometimes have a slightly bitter taste. Other fruit can be substitute - a pear, apple, lemon, banana, passionfruit, etc.etc. Add spices, coconut, cocoa, choccy chips, etc. etc. and make this easy cake in a variety of ways. The recipe!. next post.

juliewn, Mar 26, 10:11am
Magical Orange Cake: 1 whole orange, skin included, washed and processed to a pulp, 125gr melted butter, 1 cup sugar 2 med-lge eggs, 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour. YES, ITS AS EASY AS IT LOOKS! If you have a food processor, just throw everything in together and mix till all combined. Now, I don't have a FP so I did it the old-fashioned way (LOL) Mix together the melted butter and sugar, add egg then orange pulp. Stir to combine then fold in sifted SR flour. Pour into lined loaf tin and bake at 180C for approx 35-40 mins or ready when tested with skewer. I doubled this recipe - it made a lovely ring tin cake which I iced with orange icing and also a loaf which I left plain. Such an economical recipe! Couldn't believe how yummy such a simple recipe could be. Posted by Smiley-Cherub.

juliewn, Mar 26, 10:14am
You could make the cake using feijoa's or other fruit, and serve it with custard. or make it as a self-saucing pudding. mix as above and place it in a greased casserole type dish. Sprinkle over 1 cup white sugar and the rind of two oranges. Mix: 1 1/2 cups hot water with the juice from the two oranges, and pour that carefully over the sugar mix. Bake at 180°C for 30-40 minutes. For other variation's, substitute the orange for the equivalent amount of mandarin's, lemon's, banana, plum's (remove stones), any kind of berries, feijoa's, tamarillo's, kiwifruit, fresh or drained canned or preserved peaches, nectarine's, pineapple, plums, apricots, etc.etc.

ck, Jun 17, 9:09pm
Do you leave unwanted fruit under trees at end of season to rot or should they be removed?

zhwgh8tpc, Jul 13, 9:16pm
you are not able to find a job because arunod this town everyone knows everyone, and they know you are a trouble maker, and do not do as told. People are back to school so he goes on a job hunt since there should be plenty, he's able to find a job at a hotel where his classmatee28099s brother had worked until he was murdered for consorting with a white prostitute. Richard starts to become a thief because he is trying to afford money to head north. Richard rents a room from a nice lady who thinks Richard should marry her daughter and that he would be the perfect man for her. Richard is a little freaked out because he has just meet this women and he expects her to fall in love with her daughter. He quit now he takes a job in another optical shop, where he cleans and runs errands. Richard starts having one of his friends get him books from the library because black people are not aloud in their, Richard becomes a voracious reader. The books bring him an exciting new understanding of life, and he hungers to do some writing of his own. He cautiously hides his books from his coworkers, who notice that he has become distant and dreamy. Finally that winter, Richarde28099s mother and brother join him in Memphis. Alan gets a job, and the family anxiously saves money for the trip to Chicago. Shortly after their Aunt Maggie joins to live with them because he husband abandoned her. Richard and Maggie decide to go first and get a place for four, and then Alan and Ella will come when they get more money. Southern whites do not like it when black people move to the North because it implies that the blacks do not like the treatment they receive in the South. Richard waits just two days before to tell his boss that he is moving to the north, because he does not want to cause any friction. He says goodbye to all of his co-workers and you can tell they are jealous he is moving to a nice place now, they look up to him and want to move to a better area where they can enjoy their lives.So i hope you enjoyed my post and it helped you understand what the book was about. I loved this book and I truly do not like to read but this book I could not put down, it brought so many emotions to me when I was reading it, it made you think about how bad their lives were and how awful the whites were to the black. He did not have the greatest early life but he knew how to over come it, and what he had to do if he wanted to have the great life, with food and money and a job he enjoyed which is writing books, like the one he wrote about is childhood.