The FEIJOA thread - YAY its feijoa season!

Page 2 / 23
evorotorua, Feb 7, 6:42pm
flowers are on the trees as we speak! !

valentino, Feb 13, 4:01am
Weekend coming up, , , , getting close to that season again.

susieq9, Feb 17, 9:31am
Have got... . little feijoas on the trees and growing.

em007, Feb 20, 8:38pm
Not long to go now YAY

uli, Feb 26, 7:55pm
three weeks to go for the early varieties.

jenna68, Mar 1, 5:37pm
zz... zz

jenna68, Mar 4, 5:52pm
Up it goes mmm

em007, Mar 9, 10:43pm
We got our first feijoa yesterday a bit earlier than last year.

jenna68, Mar 13, 8:22pm
up it goes . . .

em007, Mar 16, 10:14pm
For the feijoas! :)

em007, Mar 16, 10:28pm
redvixen'sMicrowave Feijoa Cake Here ya go - always nice to have something
different to chocolate cake. Ingredients: 2 cups fully packed sliced feijoas 2 eggs ½ tsp salt 1 cup sugar ¾ cup oil 1 tsp vanilla 1 ¼ cups flour, sifted 2 tsp mixed spice 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp baking soda Method: Mix eggs salt sugar oil and vanilla until combined. Add feijoas and sifted dry ingredients. Stir gently and pour into greased and lined ring pan. Cover with baking paper and cook for 8 minutes until skewer tests clean.

em007, Mar 19, 10:52pm
Just thought I would start a thread for all our favourite feijoa recipes and ways to preserve our fruit. Got 6 today I have eaten three soon they will be falling to the floor by the bucketful.

jag5, Mar 19, 11:28pm
Goodness... . . yours are early! ! ! ! Mine are only the size of walnuts at the moment. LOLStill got 8 bags in the freezer from last year. Chucked em in whole. Got pigs going to freezer soon, might feed them up LOL

kennymac, Mar 20, 2:05am
feijoa recipes I have a lot of recipes that I have saved from the last couple of years from here. I will post some of them over the next couple of days.

kennymac, Mar 20, 2:13am
x1
feijoa Cake FEIJOA CAKE - 1/2c milk, 2 eggs, 1 1/4 c sugar, 1 c mashed feijoas, 1 t vanilla essence, 75g butter, mix all well ( in a processor if available) add 2 c flour, 2 teasp. baking powder, 1/2teasp. salt, pour into cake tin and bake approx 40 mins @180*. Can ice with vanilla or lemon icing.

mcgom, Mar 20, 4:12am
x1
bump I have a bumper crop this year . the local kids are already starting to get tired of them.

I need easy recipes for relish, jam, or any other ways I can preserve them for friends and family.

kennymac, Mar 20, 5:07am
x1
... FEIJOA CHUTNEY - Top & tail 1Kg feijoas but leave the shins on, 750g diced onions, 2 cups white sugar, 4 cups cider vinegar, 1tbsp each: curry powder, ground ginger, 1 tsp each: cayenne pepper, whole cloves. Combine the feijoas & onions in large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well while bringing to the boil. Simmer until thick, approx 1 1/2 hrs. Spoon into hot sterilized jars. Seal when cold. Makes approx 5 cups.

kennymac, Mar 20, 6:26am
... FEIJOA AND ORANGE JAM - 1kg feijoas, 60ml water, 850g sugar, juice and finely grated zest of orange, juice of 1 lemon Peel and chop the fruit and put into a saucepan with the water. Simmer until the fruit is very soft. Add remaining ingredients. Boil and test regularly.

kennymac, Mar 20, 6:27am
... FEIJOA JAM - Top and tail feijoas, leave the peel on the sides and slice fruit. Weigh how much you have got and use the same amount of sugar and the juice of 2 to 3 lemons to help it set. I usually put the fruit on with the lemon juice and a bit of sugar on very low heat to get the juices out. Then I raise the heat while stirring to boil some of the liquid off before putting the rest of the sugar in. Very easy and always keeps well.

snapit, Mar 20, 8:48am
x1
use the above recipes and add some ginger or some crushed pineapple. Feijoas jam can be made using peeled or un-peeled fruit and they are different.

em007, Mar 20, 9:14pm
We do a fejoia Crumble basically the same recipe as apple crumble but using feijoa. Its delciously sweet with its own lovely taste and smells devine as it cooks. Huge dollop of ice cream or cream or both.

kennymac, Mar 21, 6:09pm
... FEIJOA DESSERT - 12 feijoas, 1/4 cup crushed pineapple (and the juice), 3 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 Tbsp rum (optional), vanilla ice cream to serve. Scoop the pulp out of the feijoas and put into a microwave-proof casserole dish, add pineapple and stir gently. Sprinkle the brown sugar on the top, and, if you're using rum, sprinkle that on as well. Stir gently (again). Cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, and then stir (again! ! ). Serve over scoops of ice cream. This is very simple and quick, and tastes delicious

kennymac, Mar 21, 6:11pm
... FEIJOA ICECREAM - 400gm feijoas, 300ml cream, 180gm sugar, 1 egg white. Process feijoas and sugar in food processor until syrup. Beat egg white until stiff. Whip cream and combine all together and freeze. Makes about 1 litre.

kennymac, Mar 21, 6:12pm
... FEIJOA CLAFOUTIS - 10 - 15 Feijoas, 90gr plain flour, 90gr caster sugar, 250ml milk, 60ml cream, 60gr melted butter, Icing sugar for dusting. Preheat oven to 180º & lightly grease a 1. 5 litre ovenproof dish with melted butter. Scoop out feijoa flesh and chop roughly. Spread in the dish. Sift flour, add sugar, milk, cream & butter, whisking until just combined. Do not overbeat. Pour batter over feijoas & bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Dust generously with icing sugar. Best served warm, with either custard or whipped cream.

jenna68, Mar 21, 7:53pm
pp... pp