Beef Olives - where am i going wrong??

tex-pj, Apr 12, 6:53am
They always seem to be tough. I only cook them an hour, can it be the meat? ?

unknowndisorder, Apr 12, 11:16am
Are you cooking them in a sauce? What sort of temperature for an hour?
Looking on the net, if you're frying them, an hour would kill them, but in a sauce, it seems about right (I only ever remember mum frying them, but she fried everything she could). Probably why I'm not a fan of them, maybe I'll have to give them a go myself ;)

sooseque, Apr 12, 9:25pm
I've made the following for years and it always comes out tender

Schnitzel - as many as required, I cut in half if too long
600 ml beef stock (enough for about 8 schnitzels)
seasoned flour
oil

Make a stuffing just as you would for stuffing a chicken (bread, onion, mixed herbs, egg, s & p, parsley) place stuffing on piece of schnitzel at one end, roll up and secure with a toothpick, roll in seasoned flour and brown lightly in oil in frypan, remove and place in warmed casserole dish. Sprinkle 3 tblsp seasoned flour in the pan, brown well and then gradually add the stock, stirring, bring to the boil, season to taste and pour over the olives. Cover casserole and cook in moderate oven about 1. 5 hours. Turn olives half way through cooking time if they are not covered by gravy.

sticky232, Apr 13, 1:35am
Hi i brown mine a little first then put in slow cooker covered in 2or3 packets of gravy made up lovely

demon6princess, Apr 13, 1:52am
WOW! i use snitzel, make a stuffing, wrap snitzel round the stuffing and bake for about ten mins! no sauce. I normally make wedges to go with them and a salad and just biff the olives in when the wedges are nearly done :)

unknowndisorder, Apr 13, 2:22am
Demon6princess, that's more what I was thinking - my thought was 1 hour was a hell of a long time, so thought I'd look around and see if there was some other way of cooking them ;)

abbey_magick, Apr 14, 4:24am
What would you serve as sides?

vintagekitty, Apr 14, 4:25am
Creamy potato mash and coleslaw is what we have here

buzzy110, Apr 14, 4:29am
You could also 'tenderise' the schnitzel by beating with an appropriate tool prior to using. I used to use an empty milk bottle, but had to buy a tenderising hammer when milk bottles went the way of the dodo.

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:51am
beef olives done by my Mum were always done as a casserole

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:53am
Beef Schnitzel sold in our supermarkets is a pretty tough cut (especially when the butcher cuts one end paper thin and the other 1. 5cm thick! ) its one of those meats u either have to flash fry and eat pink or slow cook until its soft.

cheapmike, Jan 31, 4:50pm
We do as cookessentials Mum and basically casserole in a gravy. My Nana and Mum would do them as food for rugby and parties and they would be really tender if kept in the gravy for an extended time.