Best yeast to use in a breadmaker

sarahb5, Jul 13, 11:17pm
I just got a breadmaker yesterday and made my first loaf of sweetened bread for breakfast using Tasti active dried yeast.It was a bit out of date but I warmed the milk I was adding to the mix and sprinkled the yeast on it to make sure it still frothed up a bit, which it did, but is this the best yeast to use!There aren't many instructions with my breadmaker but the bread was OK but wonder if it could be better with different yeast.

bill241, Jul 14, 2:48am
I use Edmonds 'Surebake' yeast, its dried yeast with bread improvers. I've tried Tasti Breadmaker yeast and it was alright but not as good as Edmonds. I've never used active dried yeast in the breadmaker. My Panasonic breadmaker suggested to use the Edmonds Surebake.

raewyn64, Jul 14, 2:59am
I use teh Edmonds one with the red lid - not sure which one it is - I just make sure it has a red lid on it :)

family007, Jul 14, 3:33am
Just tried a recipe using the red surebake. I have a Tefal breadmaker and the recipe I got from here. Bread is friggin beautiful with cheese all over the top of it!
3 cup flour, 2 Tblespn oil, 2 teaspoon each of sugar and yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cup warm water. Use Settings: 1, light loaf, 1kg loaf .
As my Tefal uses Aussie measurements you may need to add about 1/2 c more flour, just check when its kneading!

sarahb5, Jul 14, 4:09am
I got the Surebake - will give it a go for tomorrow's lunch

raewyn64, Jul 14, 5:32am
I made one with spelt flour today. Pretty similar to family007 recipe. 1.5 cups warm water; 4 cups flour; 1 tsp salt; 2 tsp sugar; 1 tbs oil; 3 tsp yeast.
Cooked it as a light crust. It came up too high - to the very top of the machine but it is just lovely otherwise.

sarahb5, Jul 14, 6:01am
I can't eat spelt - well I can but it doesn't agree with me

family007, Jul 14, 6:47am
x1
Had the bread with our meal tonight, so yummy and fluffy. All gone now.buggar! Will stick with that recipe!

sarahb5, Jul 15, 2:31am
Made the French bread recipe from my instruction booklet for lunch using the Surebake yeast and it was yummy - crust was nice and crunchy and the inside light and fluffy.A definite success, great with our French onion soup and, like yours family007, all gone now.

springtime, Jul 15, 7:33am
My friend says go to a bakery and ask to buy the yeast they use.It's way better, she swears and her bread baking is divine!

sarahb5, Jul 15, 9:18am
The Surebake was a big improvement on the Tasti active dried yeast I used the first time and you couldn't taste the yeast either like you could with the Tasti stuff

korbo, Jul 15, 9:43am
has anyone got a good RYE bread recipe for the breadmaker.
similar to Ploughmans rye loaf.thanks

nauru, Jul 16, 2:12am
I didn't like the Tasti yeast either, it was on special so I thought I would try it.Back to using Surebake again. I use the French bread recipe all the time now, usually using the dough setting, then shape and bake in the oven.

luvmykicks, Jul 16, 10:18am
I go to Gilmours and buy large packs of a freeze dried one. I use a fair amount of yeast so not much waste. At 2.99 a pack I'll never buy any other yeast again. Down the bread type things aisle in a red and white pack.

sarahb5, Jul 16, 8:31pm
No Gilmours here but if I get addicted to breadmaking then I will send my daughter to Moore Wilsons before she comes home next time and see what they have.

grandma, Jul 16, 9:59pm
French bread for us too!

nauru, Jul 17, 2:23am
Is that one like a flaked yeast in 500g packs! Do you use a bread improver with it!

racheee, Aug 13, 10:35pm
I got the Tasti yeast yesterday as it was cheaper and errr blimin loaf was about half the size it should be and flat!Serves me right for being cheap!

nauru, Aug 14, 12:29am
Lol, I know what you mean, it got me too.