Compressed Yeast. Can you still buy

clair4, Mar 24, 1:10am
this?I would like to make some doughnuts and the recipe calls for 1/4 oz compressed yeast.

retired, Mar 24, 1:14am
Used to be able to buy it from the supermarket bakery. I have not bought it for many years, use the dry.

clair4, Mar 24, 1:16am
Not sure how much to use to replace the 1/4 oz.I think I would have to use the one with the yellow lid as the red is for bread.Would this be right?thanks for your help.

cookessentials, Mar 24, 1:30am
Yes, I buy mine from Moore Wilson at around $4 for a large block. A customer of mine who makes alot of European pastries told me to cut into pices, wrap well and freeze...the trick is to then thaw it in the fridge overnight for use the next day and it's perfect.

lilyfield, Mar 24, 1:31am
no -you can use the bread yeast. 3 teesp.

clair4, Mar 24, 2:34am
I only need 1/4 oz compressed, so I think 3 teaspoons would be too much.Any other suggestions?

alby100, Mar 24, 2:59am
check your edmonds cook book - i found a good break down in mine just recently about Active Yeast/Surebake/Caked Yeast... and the various measures to swap...

skippie1, Mar 24, 7:16am
Check your local bakery as I buy compressed yeast at our local baker. 150 grams for $1.50.

janny3, Mar 24, 8:20am
The deli stores should have compressed yeast blocks too.

weezil, Mar 24, 10:19pm
Moore Wilson...where are they please.

clair4, Mar 25, 1:10am
this!I would like to make some doughnuts and the recipe calls for 1/4 oz compressed yeast.

clair4, Mar 25, 1:16am
Not sure how much to use to replace the 1/4 oz.I think I would have to use the one with the yellow lid as the red is for bread.Would this be right!thanks for your help.

sarahj1, Mar 25, 1:22am
Apparently if you ask nicely at your local supermarket bakery they will sell you a bit - my father-in-law does it all the time. Moore Wilson are in Wgtn

cookessentials, Mar 25, 1:30am
Yes, I buy mine from Moore Wilson at around $4 for a large block. A customer of mine who makes alot of European pastries told me to cut into pices, wrap well and freeze.the trick is to then thaw it in the fridge overnight for use the next day and it's perfect.

clair4, Mar 25, 2:34am
I only need 1/4 oz compressed, so I think 3 teaspoons would be too much.Any other suggestions!

alby100, Mar 25, 2:59am
check your edmonds cook book - i found a good break down in mine just recently about Active Yeast/Surebake/Caked Yeast. and the various measures to swap.

weezil, Mar 25, 10:19pm
Moore Wilson.where are they please.

happiclown, Apr 7, 6:24am
any woolworths bakery has it
$1 per 100g.

if I couold get it cheaper I would :)

shaun16, Apr 7, 6:29am
using dried yeast you use a 3rd of the amount of fresh (100g fresh compressed yeast = 33g dried yeast)

shaun16, Apr 7, 6:29am
and yes most bakeries sell it if you ask them