Yeast

cheese-mike, Mar 27, 9:02am
I bought a bread maker finally :)
Trying to work it out (3rd loaf in less than 2 days)
1st was a hard brick
2nd sank (probably too much liquid)
3rd used bread mix and it worked quite well :)

But someone was telling me that you should not keep your yeast in the fridge?
Advice?
On the packet it says to keep it in the fridge, should I keep it in the pantry?

wron, Mar 27, 10:07am
Ftridge. Make sure the yeast is for breadmakers, not the active sort. I had a bad run with Edmonds and use Tasty. Edmonds didn't want to know - detailed in an old thread - do a search.

skippie1, Mar 27, 10:17am
Yeast should be in the fridge, I prefer to useSure bake yeast for the breadmaker.
Fresh yeast for handmade bread, although I have used that in the breadmaker too.

kinna54, Mar 27, 10:26am
What brand have you got? Mine is a Breville andI use their French loaf bread recipe, it is light but crusty. I use Edmonds sure bake yeast *red cap* keep it in the fridge. *Check the use by date *.
Also check that your recipes aren't in overseas measurements eg. my Breville was Australian so had to get an NZ adaption.(only realised that after having a lot of failure and a moan to the manufacturer and they sent the NZ supplement.) It does make a big difference! Also in cooler weather use warm water. If you want my recipe bump back.

cheese-mike, Mar 27, 9:52pm
I got a george foreman one :)

Thanks for the advice, I will continue to keep my yeast in the fridge

lilyfield, Mar 27, 10:20pm
I keep my yeast in freezer and use it ice cold. keeps forever that way- I buy wholesale quantities. never a failure

janny3, Mar 27, 10:47pm
Keeping the yeasts in the fridge helps.Otherwise the satchets work well in the bread machine.

fifie, Mar 27, 10:58pm
Someone tell me please i sent the other half shopping for yeast and he come home with a jar of edmondsall purpose active yeast. Can i use this in the breadmaker?Always use edmonds red top normally. Thanks.

kinna54, Mar 28, 1:05am
If your brand is George Forman the recipes may well need to be adjusted for NZ meaures. Sunbeam's recommendation to change international measures:
For a 750g loaf *4 tsps surebake yeast, and add 1 TBSP* flour extra.
Attaching a recipe which works well for me

French Bread 750g loaf
1 cup plus 2 TBSPS tepid water
3 cups high grade flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsps sugar
4 tsps Edmonds sure bake red cap yeast
Set crust to medium, cooking time 3 1/2 hrs. * this is because the rising times and baking times need longer with this recipe.* most basic settings are 2hrs 45 mins, so if you can find a similar setting to the French time on your machine go with that. Breadmaking is a lot of trial and error, but once you get a good recipe stick with it. good luck and enjoy.

camper18, Mar 29, 1:43am
Calling kinna54. Made your bread recipe this morning, set on French Loaf, with great success (at last) but did notice there was no oil or butter in your loaf.Is this correct???. I added 1 tbs oil to be on the safe side and it was superb, just like my loaves were in my old original Cascade breadmaker and which I have never been able to replicate in any of my susequent machines. Thanks a million.

kinna54, Mar 29, 5:30am
My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it! Yep just double checked there is no oil or butter, but if that works for you to add a bit of oil then go for it.
Thatis a recipe from the NZ Breville supplement.
I also have an awesome spiced date and sultana loaf that I will post later.

kinna54, Mar 29, 5:55am
Here is the spice loaf. It does have a lot of ingredients, but it makes a big loaf and is yummy, especially for easter. We love it toasted as well.

Spiced loaf with dates and sultanas: 750gm loaf

1 cup plus 2 TBSPS tepid water
3 cups high grade flour
11/2 tsps all spice
11/2 tsps cinnamon
11/2 tsps salt
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP skim milk powder
1 TBSP light oil
3 tsps sure bake yeast *red cap*
3/4 cup mixed chopped dates and sultanas. (I just prefer straight sultanas)
Select basic, crust medium, or if you don't like it too crusty it can also be cooked on sweet setting, the rising time on sweet setting is longer, and the baking temp is lower which gives a softer outer crust.
*Note when adding the sultanas add in slowly in batches,about 20 mins into the kneading cycle.

bunny51, Mar 29, 9:11am
I have used it in the breadmaker but first I have mixed it with the water and sugar called for i the recipe then waited till it is frothy (about 10 minutes) then put the mixture in the breadpan added the rest of the ingredients and continued as normal.

fifie, Mar 29, 7:53pm
Thanks Bunny, will give it a try my hands won't knead bread now like they used to so breadmaker is answer to home made bread for me these days.

camper18, Mar 30, 2:48am
Hi again Kinna54 Have made your SPice Loaf today, simply superb , my husband is ecstatic as he loves spicy loaves & buns.Just used sultanas (no dates ).Thank you so much for saving my breadmaker from the dump.

janny3, Mar 30, 9:10am