Wedding cake ideas please

lililambchops, Jun 6, 10:09pm
I have been given the job of making my nieces wedding cake, she initially wanted carrot cake but now says I can choose whatever I like. So I am hoping that someone hs a really delicious and different cake I can make her. It is only for about 20 odd people, but wld still like to make a decent sized one, that I canice with fondant etc. Thanks.

mums.toys, Jun 6, 10:35pm
white choc mudcake with passionfruit pulp spread between the layers and white choc ganache between layers.

milk choc mud with and orange syrup painted over cake before using milk choc ganache

same as above but with mint syrup, or kiwifruit syrup.ideas are endless

mums.toys, Jun 6, 10:37pm
i made wedding cakes for years, i had a stock mudcake recipe that i used for almost everything (white choc recipe and milk choc recipe) i used to alter the flavour of the cakes by making a sugar syrup and adding my chosen flavour to that, then using a pastry brush i painted it reasonably thinkly over each layer

mums.toys, Jun 6, 10:39pm
and my secret to a moist cake is adding a spoon or two of custard powder

lililambchops, Jun 6, 10:52pm
Thanks for those ideas, but the bride doesn't like mud cake, bridezilla maybe, lol.

mums.toys, Jun 7, 12:01am
any type of plain cake can be flavoured using this method

kiwitrish, Jun 7, 12:47am
Would love to try your cake recipes.Pretty please.

lililambchops, Jun 7, 1:00am
Thanks mumstoys. How do you make the syrup, is it just sugar and water!

nunesy, Jun 7, 4:04am
Red Velvet cake is popular at the moment, and looks amazing when cut.There's heaps of recipes, just google.And if you bake it and want it more moist, you can poke holes in it with a skewer, and drizzle sugar syrup over it, then let it cool and ice as usual.Sugar syrup is one part sugar, one part water brought to boil and cooled.

chicco2, Jun 7, 4:17am
Great idea nunesy, Red Velvet is popular and looks great when cut.

lililambchops, Jun 7, 4:33am
Funny you say red velvet, I made one of those to try out this afternoon. I may have over cooked it cos it looks dry to me. Haven't tried it yet though.

cookessentials, Jun 7, 4:55am
Bear in mind just how difficult it is to cut and serve some of the mud type cakes.it can be a nightmare, especially in warmer weather or if it has chocolate shards on it. We had citrus madeira for ours which was beautiful.

lodgelocum, Jun 7, 5:15am
I made my step-daughters wedding cake, bottom cake was a fruit cake and top layer a chocolate cake, got figurines (sp) made of herself, her partner and their little toddler, sitting on top of the cake, it looked so cool.

macwood2, Jun 7, 5:20am
Cookessentials, did you make the citrus madeira yourself!If yes, would you please post the recipe!Thx

katalin2, Jun 7, 9:39am
Few years ago I made daughter's wedding cakes- 3 tiers- choc mud, lemon sour cream, and hummingbird( carrot, coconut and pineapple) all 3 tiers worked really well and were very popular. Recently I made 3 tiers of choc mud cake for one of her friend's wedding- they were so impressed with daughter's choc mud cake they wanted 3 tiers of it!

bambi58, Jun 7, 11:34am
I did my nieces Wedding cake a couple of years ago. Two tiers, traditional fruit (although it's my secret recipe), Iced with almond and royal icing, (from the supermarket) decorated with silk flowers, in their colours. It looked great, and the whole bottom tier was eaten on the day - the bride didn't even get a piece! The top tier was frozen for their 1st anniversary, she told me it was really beautiful.

cookessentials, Jun 7, 11:14pm
No, we had ours made by Cake Couture in Glen Eden. I do have a nice Madeira cake recipe though and you could add extra citrus zest to it.