Lamb legs $7.99/kg

norse_westie, Jun 8, 5:36am
At the Mad Butcher. I don't buy meat from there often, but was drawn in by the huge sign. Sure enough, frozen good sized lamb legs $7.99 per kg, bringing the price down from $40-odd to $19 or $20. I popped four into my freezer.

geldof, Jun 8, 5:42am
I just looked on their web site and there's no mention of this special.Is it just for your store!

norse_westie, Jun 8, 5:45am
No idea actually. Its the Glen Eden one. I will take a look at the Massey and Henderson ones tomorrow because at that price its worth stocking up.

geldof, Jun 8, 6:24am
Lol.Thought it might be.A friend on facebook was skitingabout getting some.
Might go for a drive past ours just in case.

It's a brilliant price.

sarahb5, Jun 8, 6:26am
$20.97 a leg at Countdown this weekend too - minimum size 2kg - slightly more expensive than Mad Butcher but we don't have one of those

beaker59, Jun 8, 6:30am
Its that price at our local Mad butcher on the shore too.

kinna54, Jun 8, 6:36am
Man that is a good deal. Is itjust your area.norse_westie! .I justlooked on their website and nothing showing.Will breeze past the Palmy branch tomorrow.
Cheapest I have seen here is countdown $9.99 kg.

kuaka, Jun 8, 8:55am
A couple of weekends ago New World had them at $7.99 and fresh, not frozen.Countdown have them advertised at $9.99 kg this week - don't know if it's fresh, frozen or vacuum packed.Maybe all we need to do to bring the prices down to a realistic level, is to boycott the products for a while.

shop-a-holic, Jun 8, 11:11am
NW this week have them at $10.99 per kg. Fresh.

norse_westie, Jun 8, 8:56pm
I'm fine with them being frozen - never had anything less than perfect either way. If already frozen they go straight in my freezer. I did buy a couple of fresh also (not the same price though) for Sunday's dinner.

raewyn64, Jun 9, 12:22am
I got one today from Countdown for $20.00. So am going to roast it tomorrow - what is the best way to get it really yummy!

norse_westie, Jun 9, 12:29am
It seems most of the Mad Butchers have this sale. I just got another four for the freezer.

For anyone out West (Auckland): Thai Heng Grow fruit/veg, grocery and butcher has fantastic prices on produce, but their butchery is outstanding in quality and price. I buy almost all of my meat there now and have never had anything but beautiful quality. It is next to Warehouse Stationery in that weird little plaza on Lincoln rd with The Warehouse, Spotlight etc all there.

sarahb5, Jun 9, 12:42am
If I have the time I like to do mine long and slow with lots of fresh rosemary and garlic poked into the skin.I turn the oven up really high to warm up and then down to about 160 when I put the lamb in - this recipe is also delicious although I used rosemary instead of oregano or thyme when I did it

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/slowcooked-greek-lamb-20111019-1m4cc.html

sarahb5, Jun 9, 12:43am
Just bought the biggest one I could find at Countdown here - just under 3kg - so that should be enough for our mid winter Christmas dinner in a few weeks' time.

raewyn64, Jun 9, 1:21am
thanks sarahb5. The recipe you listed has the roast sitting above some water in the roasting dish. do you do that! What difference does it make!

sarahb5, Jun 9, 1:27am
Yes I did - kept the meat nice and moist.I then used it as the basis for my gravy.

family007, Jun 9, 1:27am
Countdown lamb looks good, hope the special lasts till next week when I have some more money!
Mad Butcher are excellent for Mutton which I prefer. Everytime I've been there and theres been none in the freezer, I've asked and they've done a good size leg for me. Always around $34.99 for a big leg which lasts us all week. Roast one night and the rest in sandwiches for a week! Just cook slowly at about 140 degrees with a little water, garlic and rosemary for about 4 hours in a covered roasting dish.

raewyn64, Jun 9, 1:40am
thanks sarahb5 that is a good tip to know :)

lythande1, Jun 9, 2:45am
Mad Butcher had Pork roasts for $3.99 too, and chicken thighs for $3.49.

charlieb2, Jun 9, 5:10am
Bought a countdown one for $9.99per kilo this arvo. its in the oven!