Beef Bolar Roast?

vomo2, Jun 9, 2:58am
x1
Whats the best way to cook a Beef Bolar roast!

beaker59, Jun 9, 3:07am
Covered roasting dish 150degrees fanbake for 3 hours, a bit longer if its really big. I usually add a bit of fat from previous roast and half a dozen fresh bay leaves.

Slow cooker works well too.

raewyn64, Jun 9, 4:23am
I do mine in the crock pot - just the meat and some soy sauce and a packet of beef instant soup mix. No water and leave it for 8 hours. I turn it a couple of times and then use the juice to make gravy.
it is the most moist yummy meat - it just falls apart :)

pickles7, Jun 9, 4:41am
Me too.
Slow cooker,
Beef Pot Roast , rolled , boneless cuts.

Turn the slow cooker on high, add 2 Tbsp oil.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil
Fry
1 cut up onion
1 chopped carrot,
any other little bits and bobs you have,
stalks of broccoli, cauli, celery etc. maybe 1 cup all up
Put that into the bottom of the slow cooker
Sear the meat all over
Put the meat on top of the veg's
Add 1 cup of water to the frying pan to clean off all the drippings, add to the slow cooker
Sprinkle over
1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ]
Add salt and pepper, remember it is easier to add more, than to take salt out of a dish.
Turn the cooker onto Auto, close the lid and don't open it again until you can smell a delicious smell. lol.
I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size of the meat, the cut of your meat, your slow cooker, so many variables.
Write down your times etc for future reference.
Cook from 4 to 6 hours. Even more if required
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F, 71deg C.
It will be medium, juicy, tender.

raebea, Jun 11, 9:37am
x1
My mother used to stuff our meat, used to call it pocket steak.Cut a deep slit in the side -like a pocket-but don't go right throughthe sides- & make up a sage & onion stuffing ,pack it into the pocket. I suppose any favourite stuffing that can be cooked would be ok, but i always loved the sage & onion the best, the flavour goes through the meat just lovely.Enjoy.

raebea, Jun 11, 9:38am
x1
oops you may need to tie string arround the roast to keep it all together.

sunshine78, Jun 11, 9:42am
usually do my in the oven and regret it every time.tough and annoying.Tred it in the crock pot tonight (threw it in at 2pm with some water, soy sauce and packet of gravy mix) and it was delicious!

tigerlilly16, Jun 11, 10:48am
I don't own a crock pot. ;) I did a bolar roast last week following the 'low and slow' principal from a recipe online which said to cook at 130 C for 50 minutes per 500g (for rare) then rest for 1/2 an hour. It came out not rare (not pink) but was still very tender - if you want it rare I suggest cook for 40 mins per 500g at 130 C and rest for 1/2 hour - this is what I will be doing next time.

fisher, Jun 11, 3:28pm
"1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ] "

maggi oxtail soup is perfect for this.

lulu-belle1, Jun 11, 7:11pm
This is what I do, comes out very tender. I put some water in the bottom of the roasting dish, you can make a terrific gravy with it. And we always have Yorkies!

lythande1, Jun 11, 7:32pm
Pot roast, and you can use a pot, don't need slow cookers.

melford, Jun 13, 12:37am
x1
I followed these instructions yesterday and the meat was as tough as old boots. Maybe it was the meat purchased yesterday from New World.

mica3, Jun 13, 1:33am
I do mine in a slow cooker too.
Bang in the bolar roast and sprinlke with packet maggi onion soup NO liquid and cook on low for 6-8 hours
Yummy moist meat with a tasty gravy.
Pity I cant eat it anymore as gluten intolerant

melford, Jun 13, 10:54am
The lady at New World said it wasn't cooked long enough. Should have been 10 hours or more (only a 1.5 kg bolar roast) Does this sound right!

andrew499, Jun 13, 8:45pm
The last bolar roast I cooked was done in the pressure cooker.I browned the meat all over, took it out and added a cupof hotwater to the cooker, placed a trivet in the pot, added tthe seasoned beef, and cooked at highpressure for 8 minutes per 500 grams.Turned out delicious.

eljayv, Jun 13, 9:03pm
I may try this as I usually use a slow cooker but that means the decision has to be made early in the morning so cooking it in pressure cooker means as long as it is defrosted I can have it cooked in a shorter time.Nice to have the option.

pickles7, Jun 13, 9:27pm
Did you use a meat thermometer, I have not have a fail yet. I have had one rolled beef that was not as nice as it should have been, but still not an, old boot. lol.

purpleparrot45, Jun 17, 11:27pm
I swear by an Alison Holst recipe - 1.5-2kg topside or bolar roast.
Make a paste with 1tsp dry mustard, 1tsp dark soya sauce and 1tsp cooking oil (I never measure- as long as it's equal quantities) Brush paste over meat and dry roast fat side up in pan uncovered at 160 C for about 1.5 hours or meat thermo registers from 50C for rare to 60C for medium.
Makes beautiful gravy too!

herself, Jun 19, 12:19am
Pot roast done on the stove top is beautiful but you do have to be in the house when cooking it.I use the slow cooker when I want a great pot roast dinner but I have to be at work all day.

manddtrott, Jun 19, 3:25am
I did a bolar roast the other day.Browned it on top of the stove then put it in the oven with a packet of mushroom soup mix, bacon, an onion, few mixed herbs and a lot of red wine.Covered and cooked it on 150 for about 5 hours.Great to just put in the oven and forget.Couldn't use the knife to cut it as it was too tender.Just shredded it with a fork.Then the next night we had it in hot beef rolls Oh it was good!