french toast

roys351, Apr 11, 11:40am
how do you make it

cheapmike, Apr 11, 12:04pm
two eggs, splash of milk, pepper and salt and stirred/mixed until frothy. soak twoslices of bread in it and fry in butter until golden brown. I love it with tomato sauce but have been told I am weird. Yum.

korbo, Apr 11, 6:46pm
mmm, thats what i am having for breakfast, thanks for the idea.

poppy62, Apr 11, 6:49pm
Its really nice if you make it with different types of bread ie; fruit bread, croissants ... . I like mine with extra butter and salt and pepper! My kids love good old maple syrup.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 7:22pm
traditional french toast does differ from the first recipe . The first recipe is very tasty and I do do this one - I call it "egg bread" and it is quite savoury. Traditional French toast always has cinnamon. I sometimes make a mix of cinnamon and caster sugar to sprinkle over rather than maple syrup.

6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups cream, half-and-half, or milk
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
6 slices (1-inch-thick) bread, preferably day old
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)

Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak until soaked through, about 10 minutes more. Preheat oven to 125 degrees C. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread. Wipe skillet, and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread. Keep in oven until ready to serve. Serve warm with pure maple syrup, if desired

cookessentials, Apr 11, 7:30pm
To get a nice rich French toast, use something like brioche or sourdough bread.
Here is some interesting info on French toast
http://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/French_toast
I love it done with the cinnamon and sugar with bacon on the side.

stormbaby, Jan 23, 1:00pm
We make the same as post 2, but serve on warm plates with a mix of sugar and cinamon on top. Yum. Oh, and always fry in butter.