Baked overnight french toast

ash60, Dec 22, 11:08pm
Does anyone have a recipe, I prefer savory rather than sweet. Thought it would make life easier on Xmas morning.

245sam, Dec 22, 11:18pm
ash60, have a look at:-

http://southernfood.about.com/od/frenchtoastrecipes/r/blbb680.htm

Sorry, it's a sweet, rather than a savoury one, but hope that helps and maybe you could use the method and modify the ingredients to make it a savoury one.:-))

juliewn, Dec 22, 11:51pm
I haven't heard of baking French Toast overnight - the recipe sounds similar to a bread and butter pudding??

Hi Shirley - hope all is well for you there.. have a lovely Christmas and best wishes for the coming year.. warm regards.. Julie

kaydee16, Dec 23, 12:09am
I've made this - called bread & butter pudding but might be a nice for what you want.Instead of soaking the bread you could just put everything together and cover in fridge overnight before baking in the morning.

450g olive bread 3cm cubed
1.5 cups milk
200g part-sundried tomatoes
250g button mushrooms
small diced onion
40g parmesan
60g cheddar
half cup cream
basil

Saute tomatoes, mushrooms and onion together.Soak bread in milk 15 mins. layer half inbaking dish. Layer tomato mix &basil and 20g parmesan and them remainder of bread. Pour over cream & remainder of cheese. Bake in moderate oven 40 mins.

245sam, Dec 23, 12:15am
Hi Julie, thanks for the Christmas and New Year wishes - my best wishes to you and your family for a great Christmas and a happy, healthy and successful 2011.
We are both well but feeling somewhat gutted as we are notice daily changes in our house (and that's no exaggeration - each day we notice more cracking and deterioration in what has been our home for almost 26 years).We had EQC here on Tuesday and are over their cap of $100,000 so we have contacted our insurance broker and early in the New Year we can expect to see the insurance co.'s assessors, etc. - with the amount of floor, roof and exterior wall damage the EQC assessor very quickly moved from considering repairs to, from EQC's point of view, it being a rebuild situation so now we wait for the insurance process to take effect.We have been assured that the house is safe to live in but after yet another shake last night, we do wonder and whilst a new home would be nice, the daunting task of shifting without it being our choice and all the uncertainty is sure taking the joy out of Christmas - our daughter's and SIL's arrival late tomorrow should be a boost though although for her it will no doubt be sad that possibly the only home she remembers faces demolition.

Take care and all the best Julie......Shirley

eastie3, Dec 23, 1:00am
Hi Shirley,I am so sorry to read of your situation with the house and all of the uncertainty for you and your husband.In spite of it all I wish you all best for Christmas and hope that all works out as you want it to next year.You are always so helpful on this board,and I for one appreciate it very much.

ash60, Dec 23, 4:10am
Thanks for suggestions will try the 245sam link.

245sam, Dec 23, 7:44am
eastie3 thanks for your concern, your kind words and your good wishes for Christmas and 2011 - my best wishes to you and yours for a Happy Christmas and a happy, healthy and successful new year.
For us, we now just have to follow the process through and hope that it all works out ok but basically every time I've paid the insurance premiums for the house and contents I've had a grumble re the $$$ but I can assure you that we certainly do feel more comfortable right now knowing that we have very comprehensive cover that should pretty much cover all the steps that we are going to need to go through.

All the best and thanks again.....Shirley:-))

juliewn, Dec 8, 10:43am
Ohh Shirley..I've wondered how you are there .. I haven't seen posts from you here and have been thinking of you.. it must be truly heartbreaking to see your treasured home have all this happen.. and the ongoing quakes are scary enough without further damage to your home..

My thoughts are with you Shirley.. I do hope you have a lovely time with your Family there.. and that everything is sorted soon and a way forward is begun..

Take care.. and I'm sending heartfelt hugs..

Julie