Vegetarians - A question please

toadfish, Jun 14, 9:49am
What would you throw in Macaroni cheese to make it more interesting.
or would you prefer it just simple.
I have to take dinner for 15 Teenagers and 5 Adults next week for before the school production, so i thought I would make a huge roasting tray of macaroni cheese. (suits my budget and the children love it)
I am famous for my Mac n Cheese but it uses bacon and there are 4 vegetarians so I need to leave that out.
The secret to my success is to cook the bacon and onions in butter add the flour and make the cheese sauce from there, with a dollop of wholegrain mustard and grated cheese. but I am worried if I leave out the bacon It will be missing something.Any ideas greatfully appreciated.
Also if you can come up with something better than Mac n Cheese for 20 thats easy on the budget that woud be great as well.- I need it for next week.
PS - I will be working during the day so need to make it the night before.
Thanks in advance JBx

timetogo, Jun 14, 10:38am
Use Bacon Bits, they have a flavour of bacon but are made of TVP and are vegetarian.I add them to cheesy stuffed potatoes and my kids think they are chopped up bacon.Your mac cheese sounds yummy.We add corn to our macaroni cheese to give it some texture.

waipawa, Jun 14, 10:54am
Sanitarium make a vegetarian "bacon" too. (Supermarkey chiller section.)
Just substitute that for the dead pig corpsebits.

frances1266, Jun 14, 11:24am
Halve cherry tomatoes or sliced tomatoes on top is nice.

beaker59, Jun 14, 11:46am
True a bit of basil is nice to get some depth, I would add a pinch or two of tumeric for the colour (always adds a nice yellow tone to the cheese sauce but not too much) and usually throw some fresh bayleaves into the butter and onion stage before adding the flour. The bacon is not that necesary really and a substitute is sort of not in the spirit if you know what I mean. The corn sounds nice. Sprinkle some feta crumbs across the tomao slices and basil leaves on top that would add a nice touch too.

toadfish, Jun 14, 5:34pm
Thanks everyone, I usually put sliced tomatoes topped with grated cheese and breadcrumbs on topwhich brown nicely - but I saw tomatoes yestederday for $10.99 Kgs at New World. unless i can get something cheaper. maybe not lol.

ferita, Jun 14, 5:56pm
I like adding capers to mine but not everyone likes capers.

You seriously dont need bacon and can make a really nice one without it. Just use salt and pepper to season and if you want that smokey bacon taste add some liquid smoke or smoked salt (salt that has been smoked in a smoker)

frances1266, Jun 14, 7:35pm
Toadfish, you can sometimes buy tins of cherry tomatoes for around $3.

toadfish, Jun 14, 7:58pm
I would never have thought to do that, arn't they a bit "mushie" I guess if they are baked they would dry out a bit.

roshu, Jun 14, 10:40pm
You could add:
Chopped semi-dried tomato, or
Fried and chopped vegetarian sausage, or
Chopped roasted red capsicum, or
peas

wazza_shellz, Jun 14, 11:17pm
I would add a tin of pineapple pieces and some chopped semi-dried tomatos with some onion.

charlieb2, Jun 14, 11:21pm
Dont put pineapple in it.! lol

Just do your usual tasty version minus the bacon, toadie.Macaroni cheese should NOT be messed with ! lol

duckmoon, Jun 14, 11:58pm
Or, make it up and put one quarter in a container, and then add separately fry some bacon and add tothe three quarters

karrie3, Jun 15, 8:54am
I've used small broccoli florets to give a bit of colour , if you think the teenagers will eat it! Tomaties and extra cheese on top done under the grill yum!

kaylin, Jun 15, 9:08am
pine nuts!Bit of crunch.

taurus2005, Jun 15, 8:47pm
A couple of handful of mixed veges, a chopped onion, a capsicum, few celery sticks chopped up - all mixed into the sauce.Makes it nice and colourful and does taste nice.

aphra1, Jun 15, 11:33pm
Please be sure that the cheese you use has "non animal rennet" stated on the pack.

ruby19, Jun 16, 8:44pm
I usually cook my onions until golden, approx 15 min, then make cheesesauce. I also usually make an alison holst recipe for curried mac n cheese, which you add curry powder, mustard powder, wostishire sauce (sp) & a little chilli sauce, I also add frozen peas &corn. Never any left no matter how large a dish I make.