Queen Elizabeth's Drop Scones

craig04, Jun 4, 12:39am
Found this recipe on the net - it was one that the Queen made for US President Eisenhower when he visited, and she posted him the recipe. The lady who blogged this one just changed the measurements to more modern ones.

I made them this morning and they are really delicious - light and fluffy and way nicer than pikelets IMO. We ate them with butter and jam and also some of my mum's passionfruit butter (YUM)

Drop Scones (Scotch Pancakes)

• 3 cups (400 g) all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda*
• 3 teaspoons cream of tartar*
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup of superfine sugar, or a heaping 1/4 cup white, granulated sugar
• 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of whole milk (and maybe a little more if needed)
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted

METHOD
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl.
2.In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Then whisk in most of the milk.
3.Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the milk egg mixture. Whisk until smooth, adding more milk until you get the right consistency - thin enough to spread on the pan, but not so thin as to run. Fold in the melted butter.
4.Heat a griddle or large cast iron pan on medium to medium low heat. Coat the pan with a little butter, spreading it with a folded over paper towel. Drop large spoonfuls of batter on the griddle to form pancakes. When bubbles start to appear on the surface (after 2 to 3 minutes), use a metal spatula to flip the pancakes over. Cook for another minute, until lightly browned. Remove to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm while you cook the rest of the drop scones.
Serve with butter, jam, or golden syrup

usualsuspect, Jun 4, 12:59pm
did the Queen actually make them or did her chef make them!

wheelz, Jun 5, 1:33am
how is that recipe different from pikelets! I have a recipe for pike lets that is exactly the same.maybe its just what the english call them!

elliehen, Jun 5, 11:50am
Looks like a pikelet to me ;)