Smoked kawhai?

sue62, May 22, 4:38am
I have been given some smoked kawhai. Do I eat it without further cooking! Do I need to heat it! Thanks

dezzie, May 22, 7:18am
You can eat it without further cooking yes, its lovely in big chunks with a salad with large hunks of tomato, it makes awesome fish pie as well.

beaker59, May 22, 7:25am
Kahawai ;-)

Great for smoked fish pie but also great in salads or even just warmed up and served with a white sauce or similar.

One of my favourite fish.

kuaka, May 22, 7:26am
I made a really yummy fish pie recently with smoked kahawai.I boiled and mashed some potatoes, put half in the bottom of a casserole dish.Made a white sauce, added a chopped hard boiled egg, some chopped parsley and finely chopped onion, and flaked the smoked fish into it.Poured it over the mashed potato, then put the rest of the mashed potato on top, and then sprinkled some grated tasty cheddar over it and baked for about 45 minutes.It was absolutely gorgeous.

fisher, May 22, 2:14pm
I make a white sauce and add heaps of fresh chopped parsley.then add small chunks of smoked kahawai into the mix and stir through.
mashed potato with fine diced raw onion mixed through at the mashing stage and a side dish of peas make the meal.
This cold fish dish is magic spread on toast in the morning.