2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons baking powder - does

tats63, May 22, 4:35am
this sound ok for a scone recipe!It's in the latest New World Real magazine.Seems like a lot of baking powder.

margyr, May 22, 4:37am
3 teaspoons perhaps!

tats63, May 22, 4:39am
Hi - it definitely says tablespoons.And in the other scone recipe same book it has 3 cups flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder.I don't have a great deal of taste but I'm sure they taste funny.Waiting for kids to come home and try them.

gennie, May 22, 4:43am
I put in 2t per cup of flour for the recipe that I use which I think is generous - that sounds a bit excessive.My scones are lovely and light with the ratio I use (I use buttermilk too as the wet ingredient - strongly recommend)

jia5, May 22, 4:49am
To that amount of flour I would put 3 raised teaspoons of baking powder.

tats63, May 22, 5:35am
Ok so I did accidentally leave out the sugar so maybe they will be ok next time.Thanks.

rainrain1, May 22, 5:48am
Do you feel like putting the recipe up here, i am curious now and would like to try it

tats63, May 22, 6:30am
Rich Blueberry Scones
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
100gm butter
2 tablespoons sugar, preferably caster
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup frozen blueberries tossed in a little flour
milk for glazing

Prehead oven to 220c.Line a baking tray with baking paper.Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl, rub in the butter to form fine breadcrumbs and stir in the sugar.Make a well in the centre.
Pour in the eggs and cream.Place in the blueberries and quickly stir with a knife to form a ball of dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured bench and knead lightly into a ball.Use your hands to press the dough into a 15cm round.Place the dough on the prepared tray.
Using a floured knife, cut into 8 wedges and pull the wedges apart to leave room for the scone to rise.Brush with milk.Bake for 15mins or until golden.

I actually substituted the blueberries for dates.

kiwiscrapper1, May 22, 7:07am
lol! I usually give things like this to hubby :-0)

rainrain1, May 22, 7:18am
Thanks for the recipe tats63, they sound gooood

duckmoon, May 22, 11:36am
It seems high

But I do a ratio of one cup of flour to four teaspoons of BP (which is the highest I have seen)

Their recipe has NINE teaspoons, that does seem high

245sam, May 22, 11:39am
duckmoon, I agree that 9 tsp (3 tbsp) is a lot of baking powder BUT it is only 1 tsp (or ½ tsp per cup flour) more than you use and IMO that extra baking powder is because of the blueberries.:-))

rainrain1, May 22, 9:54pm
I have just taken these out of the oven, and the quantities are correct. They are deliciousI used frozen blackcurrants

tats63, May 22, 10:56pm
Oh that's good to know thanks. perhaps it was because I left the sugar out that they were a bit funny.Today we have heated them and put butter and a bit of runny honey on them and they're great!

tats63, May 23, 1:49am
2nd attempt in the oven now.Whoever made up the saying 'whip up a batch of scones' must nead their head read.My bench is covered in flour, milk etc etc looks like a bomb has gone off haha.

rainrain1, May 23, 5:57am
how did they go, my crew have scoffed the lot already, well apart from 3 which we are having for dinner afters.Will become a favourite scone recipe for sure