Glen's (sultana) cutting cake - anyone used milk

ravenraye, Jun 1, 2:14am
. instead of water with the custard powder !Was wondering why water was used.Thought milk might make it richer.

Am about to make this cake for the first time, so fingers crossed !
Pleased to note the dryness comments, will try to avoid that !

ange164, Jun 1, 3:37am
milk softens in bread making, So it should just make it a little softer. I doubt the difference will be hugely noticeable though.

ravenraye, Jun 1, 5:11am
Thanks Ange much appreciated.

momma1, Jun 1, 9:00pm
oh interesting, not sure of the exact recipe but if its called a 'cutting cake' and has custard powder. alison holst has a cutting cake using cornflour, several essences and is lovely. wonder if glens been poaching! ps the cutting cake recipe from alison was in a 1970's book.

pam.delilah, Jun 1, 9:22pm
recipe , please, ravenraye

ravenraye, Jun 1, 11:14pm
GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir into floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

Edited by elliehen at 12:18 pm, Thu 25 Aug

elliehen (3720 )12:11 pm, Thu 25 Aug

check in the search box too, as there have been a few threads relating to this cake. Cheers !

ravenraye, Jun 1, 11:17pm
P.S. I went to buy some essences but found most of them are 45% alcohol. Already had vanilla, so bought caramel, and will add some lemon rind and a small quantity of passionfruit spread (homemade).Also one person found the lemon essence was too strong.

molly37, Jun 2, 3:57am
i made this cake 2 weeks ago. Crumbly and dry. Would never bake again. Boiled one all the way.

ravenraye, Jun 2, 5:52am
Thanks Molly. Neighbour today too recommended the boiled one. I like the idea of the custard in the other one so might cut and paste bits of both !

grandma, Sep 11, 3:41am
Reloading this recipe - I made it yesterday and would thoroughly recommend it.It truly is a good cutting cake and we are enjoying it very much.Thanks for sharing it elliehen.

grandma, Sep 11, 3:44am
I should had mentioned that I followed your tips on the essences, the tin preparation you used and the baking time elliehen.(Mine took 1 1/4 hours to bake.)

elliehen, Sep 11, 8:49am
grandma, I must confess that since posting that I have been using another recipe - a Jo Seagar one which I really like.It's similar to a boiled cake recipe but the butter and sugar are creamed and there are 5 eggs and some alcohol!

FARMHOUSE SULTANA CAKE - JO SEAGAR

Put 500g sultanas in a pot, cover with water, bring to the boil, simmer 5 minutes then drain.

Place in bowl and pour over 1/4 cup brandy or whisky (I used Stone's Ginger Wine) and leave to cool.

Cream 250g butter and 1 cup sugar
Add 5 eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition
Sift 2 & 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt

Add sultana mix and 1 tsp vanilla extract to egg mix (also 1 tsp almond extract, optional)
Add sifted flour and fold into egg mix

Pour into greased and lined 20 cm square tin
Bake 160*C for one hour (or longer, but test with a skewer at one hour)

This one is now the favourite!