Silicone smell?

rose52, May 31, 11:17am
Hi all you bakeware experts!
I was baking choc chip biscuits tonight and for one batch I put them on a silicone baking mat inside of a roasting dish (the flat hasn't got any biscuit trays). The biscuits came out with the slight silicone smell. Is this normal! Do I want to be eating these!!
Thanks for all your advice!

beaker59, May 31, 9:30pm
I would take the mat back if its new. Probably not dangerous as such but it shouldn't do that.

cookessentials, May 31, 9:30pm
No, it's not normal. Silicone should not taint the food. Where did you get them!

elliehen, May 31, 11:42pm
Silicone baking ware has been around for a while now so there could now be some nasty knock-off products.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 1:03am
Always buy good quality silicone bakeware and tools.

rose52, Jun 1, 8:36am
Thanks for your advice! It was a Briscoes job from my poor student days (so probably was the cheap one!). I definitely wont be using that one again! I think I also might chuck the batch I cooked on it, even though now (after being in a container overnight) I can't smell anything from them.
Cookessentials - I think you have the right idea, I might have to make a trip up to your store to invest in some proper bakeware! :)

rose52, Jun 1, 8:38am

elliehen, Jun 1, 8:45am
Baking paper does a great job and can often be wiped with a paper towel and reused.