Coronation chicken

suzanna, May 30, 11:11pm
I have been asked to make Coronation chicken for a party on Sat so thought I would start a new thread asking for any favourite cc recipes please. I made it ages ago and remember making a curry sauce- onions, garlic, curry powder, apricot jam then sieving it and adding it to mayo. Anyone else making it this weekend!

lurtz, May 30, 11:36pm
There are many modernvariations, however, below is a link to Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume's original recipe, made by pupils at the Cordon Blue Cooking School, for theQueen's coronation.There is also an authenticrecipe in NZ Listener for the week beginning June 2 (current week).I have made it a few times over the years, and the last time, I substituted poached chicken breast and thighs instead of a whole chicken. Good luck! I am making it this weekend too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9282749/Rosemary-Humes-coronation-chicken.html

suzanna, May 31, 12:01am
Thanks lurtz. I too will use chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. I will poach them tomorrow and chill so they slice nicely. I'm going to add green grapes and cover the top in slivered almonds as suggested by a friend just for a bit of difference. Enjoy yours too Lurtz.

lurtz, May 31, 12:58am
I hope you enjoy yours too suzanna.It's fun celebrating occasions - whether or not we fully embrace the significance.I try to add surprise occasions to the calendar- especially in winter - to spice up life a little.

shop-a-holic, May 31, 1:09am
+100

I too, have decided to do this as a surprise for Sunday night.We'll be hosting UK dinner guests. They think we're having Eng Roast Beef with all trimmings.

I may be a asking a blonde question here, but is this dish served hot or cold!I noticed the prep can be done in advance. Or shall I serve the sauce with hot roast chicken!

lurtz, May 31, 1:36am
Not a blond question shop-a-holic. It was servedas a cold platter originally,however, it can be served hot also.I have made a hot variation withMango Chutney instead of the apricots - which was very nice.I will make the original and cold recipe this weekend, because it is more manageable for me to prepare this ahead of time. It's quite creamy and rich, and reminiscent of the 50's, but a bit of fun for a change:-)

shop-a-holic, May 31, 2:02am
OMG. Just researched that Coronation Chicken is based on the original Jubilee Chicken served for George V in 1935. Jubilee chicken was also served for QEII's concert guests for her Diamond in 2002, along with Champers in hampers; smoked salmon wraps and strawberries and cream.
Back to 1952; Coronation Chicken was served after Tomato Soup and cold Trout. A choice of Cornets de Jambon Lucullus was offered if guests didnt want chicken.
I need to find Trout. LOL

This will be fun! Thanks so much, lurtz :-)