PEAS

texastwo, May 30, 9:22pm
I love my peas. A meal just doesnt seem the same without some. However I have to use frozen peas and lately I have been getting tired of them tasting sort of "waxey". Anybody got any interesting ways to cook peas apart from adding a few mint leaves! Also which is best boiling in a saucepan or cooking in a microwave!

kokopuff, May 30, 10:30pm
when i cook my peas i put them in a container and pour boiling water over them, they aren't fresh but they taste as though they are. My daughter and I are crazy for peas.

village.green, May 30, 11:03pm
My daughter eats them frozen as a snack so I have to buy 2kg at a time otherwise we run out.
I boil mine lightly in a pan of water. They are nice with lemon juice and olive oil or butter on them too and maybe a bit of salt and pepper.
I made some herb butter up recently, soft butter mashed with some fresh herbs, s&p, lemon zest and clove of garlic and keep in fridge or freezer in a sausage shape so you can just cut off a piece when you need. Nice on steak.

texastwo, May 30, 11:18pm
Will have to try that. Possibly I'm overcooking them.

whitehead., May 31, 12:12am
ive found that if i wash the peas in boiling water to defrost then add them to anything im cooking let it come back to the boil and then drain they are not over cooked . other than that i kill them every time

kinna54, May 31, 4:26am
Peas just don't taste the same as they used to.some brands are really hard and sweet.I usually microwave mine, for around 1 &1/2 mins, depending upon the quantity, then drain, dish and eat immediately:
I am also going to try the boiling water method: DH is the conossieur of peas, he would eat them with every meal.
Will post back his thoughts:

jessie981, May 31, 4:42am
Tin peas a must with beetroot, pie & spud.
When I use frozen peas, I add sugar instead of salt.

nunesy, May 31, 5:23am
I just pour boiling water over them, leave for a minute or two, and then they're great.I add a tiny bit of butter and a few capers - sounds weird but its really good.

charlieb2, May 31, 5:51am
I find baby peas are the best.The 'normal' ones never seem as nice to me

m41, May 31, 8:25am
Agree baby peas taste nicer than the big onesbring to simmer then turn off .

beaker59, May 31, 8:52am
A couple of shallots finely chopped(or an onion) saute'ed in butter with a 1/ tsp each of dry ground cumin tumeric corriander a clove of crushed garlic and a pinch or 5 of chilli flakes(to taste) then add a couple of cups of frozen peas stir until cooked well then mashwith your potato masher. great side dish to a curry as its very brightly coloured.

esther-anne, May 31, 8:59am
Baby peas-MUST be McCains, the only ones I get after trying alternatives.
In a dish with a knob of butter and freshly ground pepper, cover and into the microwave for 3 mins on high (sufficient in the dish for 4 helpings, adjust accordingly).They come out just with that slightly dimpled appearance which means they are cooked-and they are yum!

ruby19, May 31, 8:36pm
What about pea puree! To cook my frozen peas i just put into dush and microwave for about 2.5 min, and i use baby peas always.

fifie, May 31, 8:53pm
Always pour boiling water over the peas, lid on saucepan bring up to the boil and turn them off. When mint is available throw a sprig of that in the pot to. Drain and stir in knob butter S/P. Winter when no mint growing i buy minted peas which are nice and small and sweet. Watch some brands of frozen peas are terrible, harvested when to large therefore have a horrible woody taste.

texastwo, May 31, 8:57pm
Well its interesting that there seems to be diverse ways to cook these lovely little green balls.But fifie is right some are terrible. I must confess to being biased against anything McCain so tend not to buy them, have to try other brands of baby peas.

winnie231, May 31, 9:09pm
I cook them in the microwave with no added water.
Just the peas in a pyrex jug with some gladwrap loosely over the top. Zap on high for 2mins, stir & zap for another minute. Add a knob of butter & season with s&p - done :)
And I only buy Talley's frozen veg these days as they are the only ones guaranteed to be 100% NZ grown veg.

winnie231, May 31, 9:23pm
If you want to do something different with your peas - try the following recipe. It is seriously addictive!
Mint Pea Dip
3 cups frozen green peas
zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp. lemon juice (approx. ½ lemon)
1 large clove garlic
¼ cup packed mint leaves
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp. sea salt

Cook the peas for 2-3 minutes then plunge them into an ice bath or very cold water to stop the cooking process. Or simply defrost & use without cooking.
Put the garlic in a food processor and pulse to mince. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until pureed.
Serve with raw veges or pita crisps.
This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days if you don't eat it all at once!