Cleaning question - stain in toilet bowl.

baalamb, Mar 7, 8:35pm
Sorry I know this isnt actually a 'recipe' topic, but someone always seems to be able to answer an problem in here.

We have a 'spare' toilet in our garage, which doesn't get used often. Because of that I wasn't aware that we had a bit of an issue with it trickling constantly (now fixed). Problem is that it left a huge wide rust looking stain down the back of the bowl which I can get rid of. I have tried all the thick cleaners, but they still slide downwards too fast to be of any use. Before we fixed it, I emptied a whole bottle of bleach into the cistern, hoping that as it was the trickling that caused it, trickling bleach might clean it, but it didn't. Good old elbow grease and various cleaning products haven't made any difference to it. Anyone got any suggestions/ thoughts/ cures! I've heard of mixing baking soda! with something to make a paste - is this what I'd need to do! and if so what do I use!
T i a.

nfh1, Mar 7, 8:43pm
They used to say Coke Cola was good for cleaning toilets.

dezzie, Mar 7, 8:45pm
The 30 second (just spray and walk away) company have a lime rust and calcium spray that is available at most big hardware shops.
http://30seconds.net.nz/products/calcium-rust-and-lime-remover/#gallery

darlingmole, Mar 7, 10:40pm
You could always try "Bam"~!!

threecheers, Mar 7, 10:47pm
oxalic acid from the chemist

kinna54, Mar 8, 1:30am
try sugar soap, if possible try to empty the bowl of water and leave whatever product you use to soak on.
There is a Bam product that is for drains etc that is like a thick gel, which does remove rust, but wear gloves if using it, as it contains a lot of caustic.
Sounds silly: but have alsoheard that oven cleaner does remove rust stains.

baalamb, Mar 8, 3:12am
Ok, thanks for these suggestions - one of the main problems is that where the stain is, the porcelain is almost vertical, so whatever I put on runs straight off - hence why I wondered about a paste type substance!

kinna54, Mar 8, 4:04am
Another thought if you want to try it: make a thick, gluey paste out of baking soda and white vinegar.might work.

jd426, Mar 8, 4:21am
You need to rinse it with a very strong acid. Vinegar might work if you can keep it in contact for long enough. Battery acid would work but rinse it off as soon as stain has gone.
Formic acid definitely works, and it takes just a second to work, but I don't know if you can buy it from pharmacy.

gecko100, Mar 8, 4:25am
Toothpaste and lots of scrubbing will get it looking white again!

bowla3, Mar 8, 8:34am
Don't use Coke Zero! Tried it and it made it worse.

nfh1, Mar 8, 9:04am
Never tried it, there used to be all sorts of things said about Coke dissolving stains, teeth etc.

kuaka, Mar 8, 9:58am
If you have fixed the problem with the cistern leaking, then as long as the upright part of the bowl is dry - and if it isn't, then you haven't fixed the leaking problem properly - then the thicker products should cling on long enough to start doing the job.You may have to apply the product several times if the stain is really bad.I find Harpic pretty good (forget it's correct name - something like "white and bright") it's in a white container and is quite thick and gluey, stays on well.

baalamb, Mar 8, 7:22pm
Ok, thanks everyone! I knew this was the place to ask! Before rushing out to buy any of the products, I tried the baking soda and vinegar paste, and almost immediately saw some of the stain 'lift' (up until now, that hasnt happened!) Attacked it with the scourer - and one rustless toilet bowl!

Kuaka, you were right, there was still a small amount of water leaking, which I hadnt noticed - so thats the next thing to get onto now!

Thanks again for all the help!

eljayv, Mar 8, 8:19pm
Had a similar problem was hard water causing it and I found at the hardware store Mitre 10 a scouring stick which claimed "cleans where cleansers and chemicals fail" and it sure did and was inexpensive to buy.Came in pack of two, one of which I have incase I need it again.It is similar to but not pumice

dilligaf_dah, Mar 9, 11:36pm
I used steradent toothpast (for false teeth) and it worked wonders.Left it on for 1/2 hour then scrubed it off came off easy.

doree36, Mar 9, 11:59pm
Try a product called CLR ( NOT CRC. )had a large calcium build up from a dripping tap in the bathroom - worked fantastically - tried it in the toilet - worked there too
Most of the Hardware shops ( mitre 10 etc) should have it
good luck

jude343, Mar 10, 3:48am
when we were poor, and had the problem, emptied bowl & got ex to sand off with finishing paper.

zizzy41, Mar 11, 4:12am
I moved into a house with a really badly stained toilet bowl,. Googled it and found the best thing was to use baking soda and vinegar and get stuck in with a pumice stone. Worked beautifully

claudds, Mar 11, 4:43am
ihopeyouusedrubberglovesandeyeprotection.

gojojo2, Mar 11, 8:17am
Good old vinegar and baking soda always makes a crazy 'eruption' Excellent for any stubborn stains especially in those hard to reach places. Go on, I challenge you to pour some down your sinks tonight. It works! And is fun

very_hotpants, Mar 11, 8:19am
The baking soda one or the whitening!
What about ajax!

beaker59, Mar 12, 2:03am
We had issues with our two toilets one had a crack in the base and was terribly stained and just ugly the other was fairly new and great bowl but the sistern jambed and leaked and was a general pain. So I bought a whole new unit for 140 dollars and then replaced the bowl on one and the cistern on the other Now both toilets perform really well and look sparkling clean :)

It was a very easy job too and only took a couple of hours, huge brownie points with the missus ;)

pom-pom, Mar 12, 3:11am
This was the only thing that worked when we moved to our place. Loos came up looking brand new!