How do I make a veg lasagne with roast vegs?

white_elephant, Apr 10, 4:48am
Sorry you'll have to make it pretty basic because I'm not much of a cook.

white_elephant, Apr 11, 7:48pm
Pretty please :)

hezwez, Apr 11, 8:38pm
Roast Vegetable Lasagne (from google)
Baked Vegetables
1 kilo pumpkin, yams or kumara (or combo)
4 T olive oil
Salt
Pepper

1) If using pumpkin, peel it. Otherwise scrub your vegetables.
2) Chop veggies into 1 ½ - 2 cm slices (lengthways).
3) Place in large roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Shake the veggies around until coated with oil and seasonings.
4) Bake in a moderate oven until roast vegetables are tender.

Tomato Spinach Sauce
2 x 400 g/ml canned chopped tomatoes (organic are best)
500 g silverbeet (Chard) or spinach (stems removed, chopped and washed)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
3 T olive oil
½ tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh - finely chopped)
1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 T fresh - finely chopped)
1 tsp dried basil (or 1 T fresh - finely chopped)
½ c water
¼ cup red or white wine (optional)
½ cup olives (de-stoned and roughly chopped) (optional)
2 T capers (roughly chopped)
1 T soy sauce
salt to taste
1) If you are using silverbeet/chard rather than spinach, remove the white stems. The spinach stems are fine. Wash the greens, drain and the roughly chop.
2) Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent. Add herbs and fry a further minute or two.
3) Add all remaining ingredients. Simmer with lid on until greens are tender. Place aside.

Creamy Tofu Sauce
295 g (about 10 ounces) block of Tofu
2 T pale or red miso
2 T tahini
1 c water
1) Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor.

To assemble the lasagne:
For the lasagne sheets use either gluten free lasagne sheets, (or standard - whatever your preferences), or rice paper sheets (from an Asian food store). You will probably need a standard packet size of lasagne, or about 10 sheets of rice paper. Amounts vary depending on the size of your dish and how many layers you do.
Use a large dish. Have a look at all your layer ingredients and ‘guestimate’ a dish size based on that. You could also make a couple of smaller ones.
1) Start with a layer of your chosen ‘lasagne’. Add several ladles of tomato sauce and smear it over lasagne. If using rice paper, use two sheets at a time. It tends to curl up when you add moisture, so hold it down until the sauce is spread on.
2) Add a layer of roast vegetables.
3) Repeat layering until veggies and tomato sauce are used up. It is important that each layer of lasagne has enough moisture on it to cook. I pressed down the layers with my fingers, when I’d almost finished, to make sure the juice was soaking all around.
4) Finish with a layer of ‘lasagne’ sheets.
5) Pour Tofu sauce on top.
6) Bake in a moderate oven (180 º C or 350 º F) until it bubbles around the edges and the top turns golden. It takes about 20-30 minutes). You can also grill the lasagne for 5 minutes to get a nice golden colour on top.
I should add, I've never tested this! But it's suitable for wheat and dairy free if rice paper is used instead instead of standard lasagne.

redriding1, Apr 12, 3:37am
WOW... was that simple enough for ya... LOL

hezwez, Apr 12, 3:53am
Actual it looks fussy, but the individual components are simple, then all it takes it assembly.

white_elephant, Apr 12, 5:03am
Thankyou so much hezwez, I didn't think to google it. . I've never used tofu or tahini before. I wonder if a cheese sauce would do instead?

ruby19, Apr 12, 5:10am
Roast pumpkin Lasagne, goodfood uk
750g Crown Prince pumpkin or butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
500g spinach , washed (or use frozen)
1 tbsp butter , plus extra for greasing
whole nutmeg , for grating
6 fresh lasagne sheets
100g Parmesan , freshly grated

1 medium onion , finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 celery stick , finely chopped
2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
400g can cherry tomatoes
2 tsp light muscovado sugar

500ml full-fat milk
6 peppercorns
½ onion
1 bay leaf
50g plain flour
50g butter

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Halve the pumpkin or squash, peel, deseed, then slice into 1cm slices. Toss with the oil in a roasting tin, season, then roast until tender and slightly charred at the edges. This can take up to 40 mins.
Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. In a pan, soften the onion in the oil for 5 mins, then add the celery and garlic and cook for 1 min more. Add the tomatoes and sugar, then leave to simmer, uncovered, for 30 mins. Stir from time to time. You should be left with a thick purée. Season to taste.
IF USING FRESH spinach Put the spinach in a saucepan with the water that still clings to it after washing, cover and put over a medium heat. Wilt the spinach for about 4 mins - you'll need to turn it over with tongs every so often to make sure it all comes in contact with the heat at the bottom of the pan. When completely wilted, leave until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the water out with your hands. Chop and put in a pan with the butter. IF USING FROZEN defrostand squeeze dry,
Then gently heat, tossing together so the spinach is coated in butter, then season with salt, pepper and a generous grating of nutmeg.
For the béchamel sauce, bring the milk to the boil in a pan with the peppercorns, onion and bay leaf. Set aside for 5 mins to infuse, then strain the milk into another pan. Add the flour and butter, then gently heat, whisking all the while, until you have a thick, smooth sauce.
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and assemble the lasagne. Butter a large gratin or baking dish, roughly 1. 4 litres in capacity. Put a layer of pumpkin in the bottom followed by a layer of tomato sauce. Lay lasagne sheets on top of this, cutting them to fit if necessary (you don't want any overlapping). Now add a layer of béchamel followed by a scattering of spinach and half the cheese. Top with more lasagne sheets, pumpkin, tomato sauce, more lasagne and a final layer of béchamel sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 40 mins, or until the lasagne is golden and bubbling.

I have made this using different roast veggies as well as the pumpkin.

hezwez, Apr 12, 5:33am
I'm sure it would be fine. I slather cheese on anything the men in my home eat, while preferring tofu myself. :-)

hezwez, Apr 12, 9:47am
Here's one contributed by catatonik in another thread.
Roast vege lasagne... easy and to die for! 1/4 Pumpkin, 3 med courgettes (halved lengthways), 2x red caps (quartered + deseeded), 1Tbsp olive oil, 2x 400g cans chopped/seasoned toms, Lasagne sheets, 200g ricotta cheese, salt+pepper, 1c Bechamel Sauce, 1/2c grated parmesan.
Heat oven to 200c. Cut Pumpkin small (1cm slices) & toss with courgette + caps in oil. Roast on tray 20mins. Set aside. Turn oven down to 180c. Bottom layer: 3rd toms - Lasagne sheets - Middle: 3rd toms, 1/2 veg, 1/2 ricotta - lasagne sheets - Top: 3rd toms, 1/2 veg, 1/2 ricotta - Lasagne sheets - Bechamel sauce - parmesan. Bake 30mins until golden. This is our new favourite - and we all love meat. . LOL! !
Quote catatonik

hezwez, Apr 12, 11:44am
P. S. Bechamel sauce is a white sauce given extra flavour by infusing the milk with carrot, onion, celery, black peppercorns, mace and bay leaf for 30 minutes.
http://www.bbc.co. uk/food/recipes/database/bechamelsauce_700
04. shtml

white_elephant, Apr 12, 7:01pm
Thanks again hezwez, that one does look easier, also thankyou ruby. Lots to try and think about!

white_elephant, Apr 14, 2:42am
Bumping up for someone else who wants one.

ruby19, Jan 29, 10:15pm
Hi white elephant, making lasagne is not hard, it really is just white/ cheese sauce, a tomato based sauce and choice of filling. You can always make the tomato sauce a day ahead, even roast the veggies a day ahead, it just looks a lot of steps in a recipe. Good luck.