Easy, tasty lasagne recipe please

twinkle8, Mar 10, 6:48pm
I have only ever made this x2 both years ago, the first time it was too rich (fatty),I used lasagne sheets and the 2nd time with a different recipe it was bland. Is there a 'quick' yet tasty version?

alig65, Mar 10, 7:34pm
Alison Holst's "Lazy Lasagne" you cannot go wrong!! I am sure the recipie will be floating around here somewhere!

trading_gibsons, Mar 10, 7:42pm
Use lots of tomatoes, tomato paste & puree to give it richness & just cheese not cheese sauce & you will find it is a lot tastier.

twinkle8, Mar 10, 8:04pm
Much appreciated, have found some recipes thx have a good day

karenz, Mar 10, 8:31pm
Instead of a cheese sauce use cottage cheese, I also add a layer of spinach on top of the cottage cheese, either thaw the frozen stuff of lightly steam or microwave fresh, I use Mozzarella (or Edam if watching the budget) as the topping but always sprinkle Parmesan over that.A layer of ham is also nice but I find it doesn't reheat as well once it has been refrigerated.

ant_sonja, Mar 10, 8:53pm
This is my basic recipe - I change it every now and then depending on what's in my fridge - adding different vegetables..

Lasagna with béchamel sauce

1kg mince (half beef/pork)
500gr mushrooms - sliced
2 onions – chopped
4 garlic cloves – finely chopped
5 tins of chopped Tomato (or equivalent fresh)
Salt/black Pepper/Oregano/Thyme/Basil (dried) Celery Salt and sugar.
Balsamic vinegar – approx. ¼ cup
Olive oil

Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and add the onion and mince – fry until golden brown and deglaze with balsamic vinegar. Add garlic & mushrooms and a tsp each of Salt, celery salt & pepper. Stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes then add the tomatoes, a TBSP of sugar as well as a tsp of each of the herbs.
Simmer sauce, stirring every now and then for at least 45min or until nice and rich. The longer you cook this the better. Add veggie stock if you find it needs to be more 'liquid' or another tin of tomatoes. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Béchamel sauce:

½ onion – finely chopped
10 pepper corns – just slightly cracked to release the flavor
3 bay leaves - fresh if available - otherwise dried is fine.
300ml Milk & 300ml vegetable stock (you can leave the stock out if not available and use 600ml milk instead – the amounts for the liquids are approx.)
1 big TBSP butter
2 TBSP’s of flour
Nutmeg

Melt butter in a medium sized pot over low – med heat.
Add onion & sauté for a few minutes ensuring the onion doesn’t take on any colour. Add in the flour and stir well for 1-2 minutes. Add the peppercorns.
Combine the milk with the stock and heat it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Slowly start adding it to your sauce – a whisk works well but don’t worry if there are a couple of lumps as the sauce will be strained at the end. Keep adding the liquid slowly all the while stirring – the sauce will start to thicken. Now add the bay leaves and still stirring well let the sauce come to a slow simmer for a minute or two. You want to end up with a nice thick sauce. Turn off heat and leave to cool slightly before straining through a fine sieve, removing the peppercorns, bay leaves onions and any lumps. Season with freshly ground nutmeg to taste.

Pasta sheets (Fresh)
Basic pasta recipe is: one egg per cup of flour, pinch of salt.
Knead until you have a smooth, firm dough – chill for a min of 1/2hr then roll out into thin sheets. Use a rolling pin if you don’t have a pasta machine.
For this recipe, I usually use 5-6 eggs & 550 – 600gr of flour

If buying pre-made sheets – look at the packet instructions as to the quantity you will need – at a guess 3-4 packets of the dried sheets. (you may have left overs but better than running out :-))

You will also need a large ovenproof dish (rectangular) as well 3 cups of grated cheese – a combination of cheddar/mozzarella & Parmesan is yum!

Layer the lasagna in the oven dish starting with a little of the Tomato/meat sauce, then pasta, a thin layer of béchamel, then tomato/pasta and so on until you run out; finishing with the last tlayer of pasta topped with béchamel sauce & finally the cheese.

Cook in a moderate oven (180) for 40-45minutes or until the top is golden brown. If you used dried pasta – use a skewer to test if its cooked through.

Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before slicing into portions and enjoy! A mixed salad with Italian dressing is the perfect accompaniment ☺

sarahj1, Mar 10, 8:56pm
I have always made the "traditional' Lasagna with bechamel sauce etc.but got this one from our school cookbook and have found it a great easy alternative. (I leave out the mixed veg as I don't like them)

1 onion, finely chopped
1 kg beef mince
4 tsp garlic, crushed
1 ½ tins pasta sauce
1 cup beef stock (or water)
300gms fresh lasagne sheets
Mixed vegetables (optional)
250gms lite cream cheese
250gms cottage cheese, garlic and chives
4-6 tsp parmesan cheese, grated

In a large pot, brown the mince.Add the onion and crushed garlic.Add pasta sauce, beef stock and mixed vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cut lasagne sheets to fit into a 8 cup lasagne dish. Place one layer of lasagne, then mince, and repeat until you have 3 layers of mince and pasta, ending with a layer of pasta.
Mix cottage cheese and cream cheese together.
Spread the mixture on top of the final layer of lasagne.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the top.

Bake in an oven 180°C for 40 minutes.Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting into pieces and serve.

tarshlove, Mar 11, 12:13am
Lazy Lasagne Alison Holst

For 4-6 servings:
500g minced beef or lamb
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp each basil and oregano
1 425g can tomato purée
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 x 45g packet tomato soup mix
2 tsp instant beef stock powder or 1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups hot water
About 3 cups small lasagne shapes or long lasagne strips
1 cup grated tasty cheese

Topping
2 tsp cornflour
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup grated tasty cheese
paprika

Preheat the oven to 180degC.
Measure the first seven ingredients into a food processor or bowl. Add the hot water and process until well blended or mix with a fork and/or potato masher until everything is combined.

Spray or butter a 23cm square or 25x20cm rectangular ovenware dish or a suitable roasting pan or foil dish. Spread one third of the meat mixture evenly over the bottom, followed by a layer of half the lasagne noodles. Sprinkle over half of the grated cheese. Repeat this layer and cover with the remaining meat mixture (you may like to use more than a third of the meat mixture for the top layer).

Bake immediately, uncovered, for 50 minutes, or cover and microwave on High (100% power) for 30 minutes.

To make the topping, mix together the cornflour, egg, milk and cheese. Pour evenly over the cooked mixture, sprinkle with the paprika if using and bake, uncovered, at 150°C for about 10 minutes until the topping sets or microwave at 50% (Medium power) for 10 minutes.

Leave to stand 15-30 minutes before cutting into squares or rectangles. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Cut into serving-sized pieces and wrap in cling film for freezing. Reheat in a moderate oven or microwave.
Serve with a green salad and with warmed, crusty bread rolls, if you like.

tarshlove, Mar 11, 12:14am
the following recipe is very similar to Alison Holst's Lazy Lasagne recipe but this recipe came from the back of a Maggi soup packet many many years.

EASY LASAGNE
500g minced beef
1 x 32g packet onion soup mix
1 dssp beef stock powder
¾ tsp each of dried basil and dried oreganum
1 x 425g can tomato puree
1 cup water
150g small lasagne noodles, uncooked
¾ cup hot water
1 egg
1 tsp cornflour
½ cup milk
1 cup grated cheese

In a large bowl thoroughly mix the minced beef, soup mix, stock powder, basil and oreganum, tomato puree and water. Spread one-third of the mixture in a 23cm square baking dish and ½ of the lasagne noodles on top. Cover with another third of the meat mixture, then the remaining lasagne noodles. To the remaining meat mixture, add and mix in the ¾ cup hot water. Pour this mixture evenly over the lasagne.
Bake, uncovered, at 180°C for 50 minutes, then turn the oven off. Mix together, then spread over the hot lasagne the egg, cornflour, milk and grated cheese. Return the dish to the oven for a further 10 minutes to allow the topping to set.
Serves 6.
Either left whole or cut into serving-sized pieces this lasagne freezes well. :-))

posted by 245sam

kinna54, Mar 11, 5:16am
Yep you can't beat the alison Holst lazy lasagna. Tarshlove yours sounds awesome as well. Alison Holst lasagna and mac cheese kept my student son alive for 3yrs when he was cooking for himself, so must be easy lol.

twinkle8, Mar 11, 6:48pm
I have only ever made this x2 both years ago, the first time it was too rich (fatty),I used lasagne sheets and the 2nd time with a different recipe it was bland. Is there a 'quick' yet tasty version!

alig65, Mar 11, 7:34pm
Alison Holst's "Lazy Lasagne" you cannot go wrong! I am sure the recipie will be floating around here somewhere!

karenz, Mar 11, 8:31pm
Instead of a cheese sauce use cottage cheese, I also add a layer of spinach on top of the cottage cheese, either thaw the frozen stuff of lightly steam or microwave fresh, I use Mozzarella (or Edam if watching the budget) as the topping but always sprinkle Parmesan over that.A layer of ham is also nice but I find it doesn't reheat as well once it has been refrigerated.

ant_sonja, Mar 11, 8:53pm
This is my basic recipe - I change it every now and then depending on what's in my fridge - adding different vegetables.

Lasagna with béchamel sauce

1kg mince (half beef/pork)
500gr mushrooms - sliced
2 onions – chopped
4 garlic cloves – finely chopped
5 tins of chopped Tomato (or equivalent fresh)
Salt/black Pepper/Oregano/Thyme/Basil (dried) Celery Salt and sugar.
Balsamic vinegar – approx. ¼ cup
Olive oil

Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan and add the onion and mince – fry until golden brown and deglaze with balsamic vinegar. Add garlic & mushrooms and a tsp each of Salt, celery salt & pepper. Stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes then add the tomatoes, a TBSP of sugar as well as a tsp of each of the herbs.
Simmer sauce, stirring every now and then for at least 45min or until nice and rich. The longer you cook this the better. Add veggie stock if you find it needs to be more 'liquid' or another tin of tomatoes. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Béchamel sauce:

½ onion – finely chopped
10 pepper corns – just slightly cracked to release the flavor
3 bay leaves - fresh if available - otherwise dried is fine.
300ml Milk & 300ml vegetable stock (you can leave the stock out if not available and use 600ml milk instead – the amounts for the liquids are approx.)
1 big TBSP butter
2 TBSP’s of flour
Nutmeg

Melt butter in a medium sized pot over low – med heat.
Add onion & sauté for a few minutes ensuring the onion doesn’t take on any colour. Add in the flour and stir well for 1-2 minutes. Add the peppercorns.
Combine the milk with the stock and heat it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Slowly start adding it to your sauce – a whisk works well but don’t worry if there are a couple of lumps as the sauce will be strained at the end. Keep adding the liquid slowly all the while stirring – the sauce will start to thicken. Now add the bay leaves and still stirring well let the sauce come to a slow simmer for a minute or two. You want to end up with a nice thick sauce. Turn off heat and leave to cool slightly before straining through a fine sieve, removing the peppercorns, bay leaves onions and any lumps. Season with freshly ground nutmeg to taste.

Pasta sheets (Fresh)
Basic pasta recipe is: one egg per cup of flour, pinch of salt.
Knead until you have a smooth, firm dough – chill for a min of 1/2hr then roll out into thin sheets. Use a rolling pin if you don’t have a pasta machine.
For this recipe, I usually use 5-6 eggs & 550 – 600gr of flour

If buying pre-made sheets – look at the packet instructions as to the quantity you will need – at a guess 3-4 packets of the dried sheets. (you may have left overs but better than running out :-))

You will also need a large ovenproof dish (rectangular) as well 3 cups of grated cheese – a combination of cheddar/mozzarella & Parmesan is yum!

Layer the lasagna in the oven dish starting with a little of the Tomato/meat sauce, then pasta, a thin layer of béchamel, then tomato/pasta and so on until you run out; finishing with the last tlayer of pasta topped with béchamel sauce & finally the cheese.

Cook in a moderate oven (180) for 40-45minutes or until the top is golden brown. If you used dried pasta – use a skewer to test if its cooked through.

Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before slicing into portions and enjoy! A mixed salad with Italian dressing is the perfect accompaniment ☺

sarahj1, Mar 11, 8:56pm
I have always made the "traditional' Lasagna with bechamel sauce etc.but got this one from our school cookbook and have found it a great easy alternative. (I leave out the mixed veg as I don't like them)

1 onion, finely chopped
1 kg beef mince
4 tsp garlic, crushed
1 ½ tins pasta sauce
1 cup beef stock (or water)
300gms fresh lasagne sheets
Mixed vegetables (optional)
250gms lite cream cheese
250gms cottage cheese, garlic and chives
4-6 tsp parmesan cheese, grated

In a large pot, brown the mince.Add the onion and crushed garlic.Add pasta sauce, beef stock and mixed vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cut lasagne sheets to fit into a 8 cup lasagne dish. Place one layer of lasagne, then mince, and repeat until you have 3 layers of mince and pasta, ending with a layer of pasta.
Mix cottage cheese and cream cheese together.
Spread the mixture on top of the final layer of lasagne.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the top.

Bake in an oven 180°C for 40 minutes.Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting into pieces and serve.

tarshlove, Mar 12, 12:14am
the following recipe is very similar to Alison Holst's Lazy Lasagne recipe but this recipe came from the back of a Maggi soup packet many many years.

EASY LASAGNE
500g minced beef
1 x 32g packet onion soup mix
1 dssp beef stock powder
¾ tsp each of dried basil and dried oreganum
1 x 425g can tomato puree
1 cup water
150g small lasagne noodles, uncooked
¾ cup hot water
1 egg
1 tsp cornflour
½ cup milk
1 cup grated cheese

In a large bowl thoroughly mix the minced beef, soup mix, stock powder, basil and oreganum, tomato puree and water. Spread one-third of the mixture in a 23cm square baking dish and ½ of the lasagne noodles on top. Cover with another third of the meat mixture, then the remaining lasagne noodles. To the remaining meat mixture, add and mix in the ¾ cup hot water. Pour this mixture evenly over the lasagne.
Bake, uncovered, at 180°C for 50 minutes, then turn the oven off. Mix together, then spread over the hot lasagne the egg, cornflour, milk and grated cheese. Return the dish to the oven for a further 10 minutes to allow the topping to set.
Serves 6.
Either left whole or cut into serving-sized pieces this lasagne freezes well. :-))

posted by 245sam

kinna54, Mar 12, 5:16am
Yep you can't beat the alison Holst lazy lasagna. Tarshlove yours sounds awesome as well. Alison Holst lasagna and mac cheese kept my student son alive for 3yrs when he was cooking for himself, so must be easy lol.