With lasagne is there a correct or better way to

white_elephant, Sep 4, 2:06am
layer the layers. The one I made yesterday was pretty good, 2 cheese sauce layers plus cheese sauce on top & 2 pasta tom sauce layers but I never know the order of things so its abit hit and miss.

margyr, Sep 4, 2:10am
dont know if my way is correct or not but i put mince, lasagne, cheese sauce, another layer of mince etc and finish with a layer of cheese sauce and grated cheese. sometimes on the lasagne I lay leaves of silverbeet and then pour the cheese sauce over that. as long as it tastes good i dont think there is any right or wrong way.

uli, Sep 4, 2:18am
The lasagna I have eaten in Italy did not have a special cheese sauce. You simply use ricotta cheese, parmesan and mozzarella cheese in addition to your meat sauce.

Have a look here - this is a pretty authentic recipe.

http://www.my-italy-piedmont-marche-and-more.com/lasagna.html

cookessentials, Sep 4, 2:26am
Usually a layer of the ragu ( meat sauce) first,then lasagne sheet and then bechamel sauce. Make sure you end up with a pasta layer and bechamel on the top, then sprinkle with cheese.

white_elephant, Sep 4, 2:35am
Thankyou, the one I made was vegetarian, the filling was a layer of roast pumpkin, muchroom and onions, and silverbeet.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 2:51am
sounds delicious

white_elephant, Sep 4, 4:53am
To be honest it tasted better than it looked which was why I was questioning my layering (sp) technique.

motorbo, Sep 4, 6:18am
i used to make my own pasta, and roast a pile of vege to then mash up for a vege layer but i also had mince in mine

davidt4, Sep 4, 7:12am
The Italian way of using ricotta rather than bechamel is delicious, and less trouble because you don't need to make the bechamel sauce.Give it a try!

lythande1, Sep 4, 7:42am
Yeah thats what I do, not cheese sauce.......

cookessentials, Sep 4, 7:46am
bechamel is not a cheese sauce!

uli, Sep 4, 9:03am
yeah we know that cooks - bechamel is not cheese sauce.

However poster #1 writes: "...2 cheese sauce layers plus cheese sauce on top ..."

cookessentials, Sep 4, 9:13am
was I talking to you ?

uli, Sep 4, 9:24am
God knows to whom you talk ... but never mind!

However I did find a lovely "Lasagne" - which is vegetarian - vegan even - the recipe seems a bit involved - but I am sure it will taste fantastic!

http://therawchef.blogs.com/russell_james/2007/01/lasagne_recipe.html#more

white_elephant, Sep 4, 6:02pm
The above lasagne looks beautiful uli but way beyond me, I couldn't get into anything that involved since I dislike cooking & food shopping so much. Love eating though.
I have noticed abit of tension on here between some traders, shouldn't that be left to the opinion or the parenting messageboards?

kob, Sep 4, 6:14pm
i think each to there own, you answered you own question by saying how great it tasted, what ever you did stick to it, I normally do mince ,pasta, spinich, cheese sauce, mince pasta,spinich (uncooked) cheese sauce paprika S&P works for me everytime, make a huge one and freeze in glad bags once cut up

margyr, Sep 4, 7:25pm
white_elephant, when you make your lasagne before cutting it up let it rest for about 10-15 mins and this well help it set and keep its shape, not sure what you mean when you say it tasted better than it looked but if it did not stay in a nice slice like you get in cafes, they make them the day before and slice when cold then heat each slice. and as for the tension, it always amazes me how some people can find something to snipe about in the most innocent of threads;)

white_elephant, Sep 4, 7:52pm
Yes, thanks for that, I didn't let it rest and will do that next time, my layers didn't look seperate enough if you get what I mean, slightly runny as well.

margyr, Sep 4, 8:15pm
next time make your layers abit thicker, did you cook the mushroom and silverbeet first? When i put silverbeet in mine I just cut the white stalk out and lay the leaves raw on my lasagne, perhaps also on each layer of your cheese sauce put some grated cheese as well. I use uncooked lasagne peices or uncooked sheets these absorb extra liquid while cooking.

white_elephant, Sep 4, 9:21pm
Thanks margyr, I cooked the muchrooms, onion and a little garlic in olive oil first, this was the most successful layer, the silverbeet I steamed first. The lasagne sheets I used were bought from the cooler cabinet area of the supermarket, not frozen. I'm making this dish once a week until I get it perfect, the family really like it.

margyr, Sep 4, 10:04pm
mmm, those mushrooms sound yum, to save some time try the leaves uncooked. hopefully even when you have it perfected you will keep making it a good way to get all those vege into the family. I do a vege casserole and my husband who is strickly a meat and potato man loves it. I do layers of potato, onion, carrot, kumera, pumpkin, silverbeet and just put sliced cheese and nobs of butter between the layers, then pour some milk in till about 1/2 full, bake at 150 till veges are tender. grease the dish first and I rub crushed garlic into this.

white_elephant, Sep 5, 6:33pm
That sounds a good way of eating lots of veges margyr but how does it work with the milk, does the milk sort of set into a sauce or what?

margyr, Feb 28, 9:46am
the vege seem to soak up the milk, and i suppose some evaporates. it like the lasagne does need to stand for awhile before serving and sometimes there is abit of liquid left but I use an egg slice to serve and this stays in the dish. It is nice the next day as well.