Feijoa Chutney?

pickles7, Mar 26, 6:51pm
I saw feijoas are in the supermarkets now. Time to bump up a few good recipe's.

davidt4, Mar 26, 8:23pm
This is the best feijoa chutney I've eaten, made by Alexa.She has a new book coming out later this year which is devoted to preserves.

http://www.ladiesaplate.co.nz/recipes/jams-and-preserves/roasted-feijoa-chutney.html

mjhdeal, Mar 27, 12:07am
I made that recipe once; it tasted great, but dunno about the 2-3 hour cooking time. I thought it looked the right colour and consistency after one hour, but (being new to preserves) dutifully followed the recipe, and cooked it for two hours. The consistency was like tar!

Like I say, great taste, but think the cooking time should be amended!

davidt4, Mar 27, 12:18am
Maybe your oven was running hot.I know that Alexa's oven is properly calibrated and that she tests her recipes over and over again.

mjhdeal, Mar 27, 12:27am
Come to think of it, I halved the recipe, so guess that could have changed something in the chutney's space-time continuum too.

davidt4, Mar 27, 12:36am
That'll be it.Same surface area but half the volume, therefore twice the evaporation.

sarah1955, Mar 30, 9:45pm
I have a recipe for the above and it does nor say to peel the feijoas , just trim ends and slice.Anyone know if this is right or will the skins just cook down nicely over the two hours! Thanks:)

winnie231, Mar 30, 9:48pm
I have made feijoa chutney like this and it was delicious :)
The skin cooked down just fine & the chutney was lovely & fragrant which I think the skins contributed to.

sarah1955, Mar 30, 9:53pm
great.Thanks:)

winnie231, Mar 30, 10:07pm
Just in case any one is interested now that we are reaching feijoa season - these are recipes that have been shared here in the past .
FEIJOA CHUTNEY
- Top & tail 1Kg feijoas but leave the shins on, 750g diced onions, 2 cups white sugar, 4 cups cider vinegar, 1tbsp each: curry powder, ground ginger, 1 tsp each: cayenne pepper, whole cloves. Combine the feijoas & onions in large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well while bringing to the boil. Simmer until thick, approx 1 1/2 hrs. Spoon into hot sterilized jars. Seal when cold. Makes approx 5 cups. posted by kennymac

Feijoa Chutney
8 large feijoas,1 good sized apple,1 tablespoon pickling spice,1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt,1 large onion,1 and 1/4 cups vinegar,1 and 1/2 cups sugar,1 and 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper.Chop fruit and onion put altogether in large saucepan boil 1 hour and bottle,lovely served with any cold meats,on crackers with cheese or however you desire. posted by flo16

Feijoa Chutney
1 kg Feijoas, 500grams onions, 300grams raisins, 500grams (or packet) pitted dates, 500 grams brown sugar, 1tblsp ground ginger, 1 tblsn curry powder, teapsoon ground cloves, 1/2 tea spoon cayenne pepper, 4 teaspoons salt, 3 cups malt vinegar, 1 cup white vinegar. Chop up feijoas (leave skin on) onions, dates combine with rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour, stirring so it does not stick. ENJOY posted by marlin9

sarah1955, Mar 30, 11:41pm
Also some recipes say to seal when cold.hot or cold , which is best! thanks:)

cgvl, Mar 30, 11:48pm
I seal all my jams, pickles, chutneys and other preserves hot, that way as they cool the seal sets, you can hear the seal pop, and this means they are airtight should not go mouldy.
My feijoa recipe says to peel the skins but leave some peel on. hard to describe but I peel them so they are striped.

sarah1955, Mar 31, 12:21am
thanks. Did not peel them and they are cooking down nicely. An hour from now will be all done.I will seal while hot .

masina6, Mar 31, 12:37am
Can you post your feijoa receipe please !.

cgvl, Mar 31, 3:22am
eek masina its in the old imperial measurements:
4lb (1.8kg) feijoa's
2lb (900g) onions
3lb (1.5kg) sugar
2Tbsp salt
1lb (454g) raisins
1oz (28g) garlic
1tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp ground cloves
2½ pints (1.5lt) vinegar.
Top and tail feijoa's. Peel leaving a strip of skin between each peel.
Chop or mince onions and garlic
Put all ingredients into a preserving pan or large pot and bring to boil.
Once boiling turn to a simmer/slow boil for 2 hours.
Bottle and seal.

masina6, Mar 31, 5:02am
Thank you, im going to try this : )