Bottled salmon - I am finding the small agee

melford, Jan 31, 10:22pm
preserving jars hold too much salmon for just the two of us. Does anyone know if there are any other kind of smaller jars that would sealand would be okay to use please? Need them straight away so don't want to order online so they need to be purchased locally

fifie, Jan 31, 10:49pm
Yum Melford, love preserved salmon especially in tomato sauce. See the big red shed has some says they arein stores also, looks a bit smaller than the agee ones http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/homewares/kitchen-
dining/food-storage/Small-Preserving-Jar- might be worth a phone call to your nearest store to see if they are available in your area. . Good luck might be hard to find. .

melford, Jan 31, 11:22pm
Thanks for that. I did look at those and they are still too big. I was thinking along the lines of small coffee jars or some similar. Has anyone used any smaller jars for preserving salmon please ?

jesusisalive, Feb 1, 10:24am
I buy the tails (no bones! ) and freeze. Comes out beautiful, with no risk of botulism.

pickles7, Feb 2, 3:03am
You could use jam jars... I am sure they will take the 3 hours boiling. . I would sure try some , as they are so easy to come by. . Ask your chemist for advise. . Our chemist is great , I have never been refused an answer. .

buzzy110, Feb 2, 11:30pm
Take a gander at this thread on the same subject.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=124482

Personally, I wouldn't use second hand jam jars.

I am amazed that people even suggest using used jars that do not have Perfit type seals and screw on rings for preserving fish and meat.

Botulism is a very real risk. It is not a pleasant illness to get. You can spend up to 6 months in hospital on life support with a much reduced quality of life if you do recover, which is highly unlikely. Don't take the risk. Use proper bottling equipment and stay safe.

melford, Feb 3, 4:50am
thanks everyone, in the end I just used to pint preserving jars but you can buy small preserving seals that fit on the jam jars but I couldn't find the bands to go with them.

traceedwards, Feb 3, 4:52am
If you find the screwbands melford let me know

melford, Feb 3, 7:03am
will do

traceedwards, Feb 12, 8:36am

allspices, Feb 13, 12:01am
Do you mean the screwbands for the old Greggs/Nestles/Bushells type jars that are OK for preserving?

buzzy110, Feb 13, 4:36am
I have seen them at Milly's and my local Royal Oak P-n-S. They are made by Ball. They fit Mason Jars which are also sold by Milly's. However, asa keen haunter of antique, opportunity, charity and second hand shops I can tell you that I have also found a great quantity in these shops as well (each small addition adds up to a great pile) which I snap up. No-body preserves anymore so I can get a dozen for $2.

guest, Apr 8, 7:57am
I had the same problem but croft pac in chch had the perfect thing, small 200ml jars with screw on seal. I used these last summer and they were perfect

unsure_-_guest, Mar 29, 8:56pm
x1
Can anyone advise how long you can safely keep bottled salmon for? Reason being is that whilst clearing out cupboard and looking for my empty jars and screw lids I came across 1 jar of bottled salmon that my Mother did and the date on the seal is March 1997............ Preserving seal is still intact and dipped. Would it still be safe to eat....??????

louboutin_homme, Apr 13, 4:50pm
chaussure christian louboutin
louboutin homme http://pascherlouboutinchaussuress.webs.com/