Want to make rainbow cupcakes inspire me

mr-and-mrs, May 6, 3:47am
I found a thread on parenting with a photo of rainbow cupcakes.I would love to make these for my kids so can u please share ur tried and tested recipes as I prefer to try something someone else has used than to google and try a recipe that noones used before. TIA

r-mvz, May 6, 3:58am
Fairy Cakes

125g butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Oven 190 oC15-20mins

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour and baking powder into mixture an add milk. Mix thoroughly but do not beat.

From this recipe you can do your rainbow colours or add cocoa for chocolate etc.

bexy32, May 6, 10:06pm
I use this one quite often.very yummy, my kids love to help me make these :)
http://www.stayathomemum.net.au/recipes/baking/rainbow-cupcakes-recipe/

gennie, May 6, 11:09pm
I have made rainbow ring cakes before so cupcakes will similar.Make a reliable vanilla cake recipe and then weigh how much mixture you have (weigh the mixing bowl before you start and take it off total weight).Then divide the amount by 28.Then divide your mix by into 7 bowls (assuming you are doing the full rainbow).So 7/28 ths into the first bowl, 6/28 ths into the second bowl etc (if you are confused by the maths just divide total weight by 28.What ever the answer is muliply by 7 to get the weight of mix in the first bowl, then the answer multipied by 6 to get weight of mix to go into second bowl etc.

Then add food colouring to each bowl.Following a traditional rainbow ROY G BIV then put red into the biggest bowl, orange into second biggest etc.

The easiest way to do it next is to use plastic bags. I use the small Pams ziplock ones.Put the mixture into 7 plastic bags.Snip off a corner of each one to make a piping bag.

Pipe in red first - cover the base.Then do the orange but don't cover the base, leave a small margin around the outer edge.Then the yellow but leaving it so you can see a rim of orange around it. And so on building up the layers.When it cooks the mix should rise up the sides so red on the outside, then orange etc.

It will be a challenge at the base of a cupcake paper is small.When I have done the ring tin cake it was a bit easier as the base was bigger.I then covered with green butter icing piped over top.It does look absolutely awesome when you cut slices of it.

donna23, May 7, 1:51am
My daughter made some of these recently for a 1st birthday party, she just divided the mixture into 6 seperate bowls, coloured each mix and put tsp's of the mix into each rainbow coloured cupcake paper (not an "anatomically correct" rainbow but looked great, decorated the top with plain buttercream icing and made a "handle" type loop over the top with pastelly (!) coloured strip type sweet (imagine a pastel rainbow licorice strap). She lives in Hamilton so not sure where she got the sweet/lolly strip decoration. They looked wonderful!

motgirl, May 7, 10:34am

mrsjes, May 7, 10:57am
I am dying to try these - a little different but soooo cool!
http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/rainbow-cake-in-a-jar-recipe/2/