Query using Kitchenaide to make bread

Page 2 / 3
cookessentials, May 7, 10:16pm
Of course, the beater head is going to move a little when doing the dough.there is quite a bit of reisistance there.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp!page_id=36250991 http://mixer-review.toptenreviews.com/kitchenaid-artisan-review.html

gerry64, May 7, 10:36pm
cheers cookes for the two links -

bill241, May 7, 10:38pm
When mine did dough for the last time before I took it back to get it replaced, the whole head lifted up and down because the catch gave out, so it was a bit of a fail. Apparently this could be because the clearance needs adjusting or the pin is out of whack where the hinge is, and both can be done with a screwdriver. But I didn't expect it to have such difficulty doing one of the key tasks it is supposed to be designed for.

bill241, May 7, 10:41pm
And another thing that irks me: what is with those two black plastic screw things! What are they about! 'All -metal construction' and then they have these plastic screws. I hope they aren't important haha

cookessentials, May 7, 11:45pm
The all metal construction is the machine bill241. Do you expect it to have all metal knobs as well! I wonder if you have watched the DVD that came with your machine at all! If you had, you would have heard the bit about bowl clearance and adjustment. If you did not bother to watch and make the slight change, that is more than likelywhyyour machine had what you term as a "fail" I have no problems with my machine whatsoever, however, i did bother to watch the DVD and I adhere to the recommendations given. I find it a great machine and it certainly has the positive reviews to back it up.

cookessentials, May 8, 12:08am
Secondly, please watch the DVD, it takes you through the machine and how to use it and the attachments etc.

gerry64, May 8, 12:30am
I did watch the DVD cookes when I first got my beater but didnt specifically see that the beater was jumping a bit when making bread - my original query was not being critical of the beater - I absolutely love it - but the best thing about this MB is you can ask a question and get practical answers - and yes we also did the beater clearance adjustment -I could have gone back and watched the DVD again but surely asking for hands on advice isnt a problem - is it!

cookessentials, May 8, 1:07am
Hi gerry, I meant bill241 he obviously did not bother with the bowl clearance adjustment and stuffed his machine then said it was a failure!
and no, absolutely not, never a problem.always happy to share any advice I have. Have you made a sponge with your machine yet! They make fabulous sponges.

gerry64, May 8, 1:42am
Oh yes cookes - havent made sponges like this for years -tempted tp buy a sausage maker some of the recipes look so yummy

cookessentials, May 8, 1:57am
The sausage making tubes are only about $32.50, although you will also need the grinder/mincer which is about $159

bill241, May 8, 8:48am
I didn't get a DVD with my Kitchenaid, but I read the instructions before use and checked the clearance the way it said to. It still broke. And no, I wouldn't expect the knobs to be metal, but from what I have read, those plastic screws connect to a plastic part inside the head which worried me a little.

bill241, May 8, 8:51am
How come they don't adjust the clearance to a non-damaging level in the factory!

Sorry that was really just a rhetorical question. I'm pretty upset and dissillusioned with it right now. It was my grad present from cook school and I thought it would handle what I wanted it to. And hopefully this new one will too, just have to keep adjusting it until it is right I guess.

cookessentials, May 8, 9:09am
Where did you get your KitchenAid from bill241!

bill241, May 8, 9:15am
Total Food Equipment in Dunedin. The replacement has a DVD which I will be SURE to watch but I haven't used the new one yet, its sitting in its box. I had no idea they came with DVDs so I didn't ask them about it.

bill241, May 8, 9:17am
Do you know anything about the screw in the base of the mixer! I read that it can loosen up over time which makes sense since the hinge would be the weakest point of the mixer.

cookessentials, May 8, 6:42pm
I am surprised that they did not go through the workings of the mixer with you! All of that is usually explained.well, some do!

bill241, May 9, 2:49am
I just watched the DVD, and it said all the same stuff I had read in the instructions, and showed that I'd adjusted the clearance properly, so my mixer's latch must have become faulty. If the same thing happens to this new one hopefully I'll be able to able to get a refund rather than a replacement. So there you have it, it WAS a failure.

katalin2, May 9, 9:00am
bill241- Consumer magazine ranked Kenwood ahead of Kitchenaid when they tested mixers a year or so back. However both were recommended. I can't help but note that the Kenwood is about half the price of the Kitchenaid. I don't have either so I can't comment. I just use a hand held beater which is at least 40 years old and still going strong- but I do have a breadmaker for making dough with.

bill241, May 9, 10:07am
Yes I saw that someone else mentioned that too. I'm happy with it, just not so much with the dough kneading part. I made a pizza dough in it tonight and it did buck around a bit as you'd expect, but I believe that this puts stress on the lever and the lever might get dodgy over time, so this is probably what happened to my first one. One of the chefs at my cook school saw me when I was taking it in to get replaced and he said straight off 'you've been making bread with it haven't you!' which made me think that it happens more than it should with this model I have.

lyl_guy, May 9, 8:31pm
Interesting about the kenwood!Would love to hear from someone with a newer kenwood, used to make bread.Do they have a special dough hook!

pickles7, May 9, 8:59pm
This mixer has stuffed out, just making a cake out of a pkt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=nx4cW408Xms

cookessentials, May 9, 9:22pm
From the same youtube video.dont forget to look at the comment below.

For the record, kitchenaid contacted me about this and reminded me of their generous warranty policy and made arrangements for a new mixer to be sent to me, and I put the old one in the new box, slapped a label on it and mailed it back.

Thanks for stepping up, Kitchenaid!

arayan83079 1 year ago

cookessentials, May 9, 9:27pm
I would suggest talking with the distributors bil as I have no problems with mine as others have also stated above. Perhaps there is something your are not doing right! If you Google Peter mcInnes, there should be a telephone number (0800) for NZ calls. it certainly does not seem right

http://mixer-review.toptenreviews.com/

davidt4, May 9, 9:33pm
I used to make bread regularly using the dough hook of my Kenwood Chef.It handled up to 1 kg of bread dough easily.

bill241, May 9, 10:04pm
Perhaps I did something wrong, but it is unlikely, despite your pretty rude insinuation in the earlier posts. As I said, I checked the clearance and even though I didn't get a DVD I read the instructions a few times and followed them carefully both to check the clearance and use the mixer. I have read many posts on forums with people saying the exact same thing, that the resistance from the kneadingand the subsequent bucking weakened the catch on their mixer after a while. I think I'll just hand-knead from now on.