Query using Kitchenaide to make bread

Page 1 / 3
gerry64, May 4, 10:55pm
I made the rustic fruit loaf from the kitchenaide site -recipe says knead for 8 mins using dough hook - beater started having a convulsion - hopping up and down - anyone else had this happen - is it Ok or is it likely to damage my beater - loaf was lovely wanting to have another go

tjman, May 4, 11:08pm
Check with the makers of Kitchenaide.They will help you.

pickles7, May 4, 11:27pm
sounds like it was struggling. They are gear driven you can strip the gears . I found something on you tube on the subject.

gerry64, May 4, 11:33pm
will do tjman - thought a kitchenaide user may have had same experience and would get a quicker response - sometimes the kitchenaide site over here takes a while to respond - will have a check of you tube pickles cheers

lilyfield, May 4, 11:48pm
its struggling. turn off , knead by hand. Dough to firm. Use less. Also use common sense

gerry64, May 4, 11:54pm
thank you for your wisdom lilyfield - some people have not had your wide experience and as I was following an official recipe from the kitchenaide site with the quantities as stated my beater would have been able to cope - doesnt say its up to you to have enough common sense to make this recipe work safely for your very expensive beater that states that its main design feature is bread making but there you go - could have bought a cheap beater and relied on my common sense

sands39, May 5, 1:28am
I make bread using a kitchenaid and I find there is a bit of movement in the head as it kneads dough, it jumps up and down a little. If it is overloaded you will hear a wirr sound and there will be slight pauses in the kneading action as the gears slip. So long as you stick to using speed 2 and don't use a recipe requiring more than 6 cups of wholemeal it should be fine. Flour can vary and sometimes you may need to add a little more water to make a slightly softer dough.

gerry64, May 5, 2:20am
cheers sands you are just who I was looking to hear from somebody that has made bread with a kitchenaide - love the kitchenaide I might add but this was my first try with bread - had a look at the clips on you tube and it was moving the same as mine so will have another go

gardie, May 5, 7:52am
My Kenwood does similar things - does a little dance all over the bench.I pop a tea towel underneath it - seems to stop it moving quite so much.I do like to keep my dough a little softer/stickier - I find it makes a better bread.I find the electric mixer perfect for this - I don't get all the sticky dough on my hands.

gerry64, May 5, 10:31am
I would love to be able to still knead with my hands -such a satisfying thing to do in the kitchen - hand made bread

us109, May 5, 11:31am
My guess is the bigger the wattage (motor) the better!

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

deus701, May 5, 2:34pm
Kitchenaid is rubbish in making breads.

I did asked a person on here who keep extolling the virtues of kitchenaid mixer if itwas alright to let the kitchenaid knead the dough longer than 5 minutes (as it was getting warm), but she told me to look at the manual.

You could have the mixer beating 20-30minutes and still cant get the 'gluten window'. But if you have time, you can try looking up 'old dough method', 'pre fermented dough', sponge dough method. Basically these methods help develop your gluten. There is also a concept called 'autolyse' developed by Raymond Calvel. It refers to the resting period for bread to help develop the gluten. Its a concept explored by Dean Brettschneider videos, where he knead a bread for 2mins, goes away for a 5min break, comes back and knead for 2 mins, break for 5 (does this for around 4 times).

pickles7, May 5, 10:16pm

gerry64, May 5, 11:35pm
I spent ages yesterday looking on you tube at all the clips and even the kitchenaide official demonstration clips show the beater moving around - I would say that the beater is not really up to the job of making bread-but it is a very good beater but as I bought it to make bread feel a bit let down -it was very expensive

buzzy110, May 6, 12:42am
We live and learn. Who recommended it as good for bread making in the first instance!

gerry64, May 6, 12:52am
when I was diagnosedI sought advice on what beater would be best for breadmaking as kneading by hand was an option no longer available to me -according to their own advertising and people in the appropriate stores kitchenaide claimed to be No 1 - it kneaded the bread the loaf was lovely but I dont think it would be good for the longevity of the beater motor leaping about the way it did -but I repeat the official demonstartions on you tube show the beater to be doing this - weird

maria121, May 6, 2:36am
I use mine to knead dough a lot. Had it for over two years now and it's normal the way you are describing it working.

carriebradshaw, May 6, 3:34am
I use mine to make bread and and while it does move around a small bit,have never had a problem.Dont go over 2 on the settings for bread,it does say that in the manual too.
I love my Kitchenaid,its the best thing since sliced bread!

gerry64, May 6, 4:41am
cheers you two kitchenaiders - yes I love my beater for sure - havent made a sponge like it for years - will just make sure I stick to small mixtures - am in the middle of making these at the moment
http://www.cookingbread.com/classes/class_triple_onion_bacon_bun.html
beater jumped a bit

deus701, May 6, 9:36am
I feel a tinge of regret buying my kitchenaid. I should have saved up and gone for a hobart.

gerry64, May 6, 12:53pm
well the buns were delicious

cookessentials, May 6, 7:00pm
Sounds like you are using far more flour ( dough) than is recommended for the machine. If you bought your machine new, it comes with a DVD which has a section on bread making. Also, you need to adhere to the recommendation of speed when mixing your dough. From memory, the Artisan is capable of mixing two standard loaves of bread. I would suggest telephoning Peter McInnes who are the distributors for KitchenAid in NZ and Australia ( they have an 0800 number) I would also suggest watching the DVD that came with your machine.

pickles7, May 6, 10:11pm
Buy a bread maker.gerry64.so cheap compared to a repair bill,mine makes great bread, dough, etc. I don't have to stand on guard as it makes the dough. great value.

gerry64, May 6, 10:51pm
cookes I used the recipe from the kitchenaide site for the fruit and nut loaf - it had 150g each of wholemeal and bread flour - it made a beautiful small loaf - but as I have said in one of my posts above I have watched the video that came with my beater again and her beater was moving as the dough hook was in action - if it was too much flour for the machine I would have thought that the recipe would not have been included in their recipes

bill241, May 7, 10:22am
My one's lever catch thing stopped holding, and I thought it was because I had overdone it with the dough kneading, so I checked all the info and I hadn't done anything wrong. It hadn't ever had more than 4 cups of hard flour in it and never more than 1.3 KG total weight, never put it over 2 when kneading either. I noticed it bumped around a little bit, but so does my mother's hulking big Kenwood Chef when its kneading dough. The replacement mixer hasn't been used for bread yet because I'm too scared!