Mothers Day Cup Cakes

buckely, May 2, 8:35am
Does anyone have a recipe for cup cakes suitable for mothers day. I want something nice but too difficult to make

sue1955, May 2, 9:47am
Do what I do & cheat by using Edmonds Vanilla Cupcake mix from the supermarket. It comes with the icing too, but you could put your own decorations or sprinkles or dust on them to add some colour.

raewyn64, May 2, 9:23pm
sue how long do they stay nice for! Just thinking how many days ahead I could make them.

sue1955, May 3, 1:24am
These cupcakes are fine even 3 days later. They are very light in texture & a lovely flavour. My neighbour & daughter who are wonderful bakers, both wanted the recipe when I gave them some (so I gave them a packet each which produced a good laugh.) Sorry, should have said that you have to add 80grms of butter to the icing mix.

buckely, May 3, 2:48am
thanks for that, do you add anything on the top or just leave it as the icing only!

rarogal, May 3, 4:14am
The strawberry one is great also! Not sure if Edmonds or Betty Crocker, but a pre-made cake mix anyway.

motgirl, May 3, 9:44am

motgirl, May 3, 9:44am

sue1955, May 3, 8:31pm
motgirl - Wow. That's the kind of cupcakes my daughter makes & gives as gifts. I just make mine for the family at home.

olwen, May 3, 10:40pm
That's a big batch.How well does it scale!

sarahb5, May 3, 10:46pm
I made gingerbread cupcakes for Christmas as none of us like Christmas cake - they were delicious and kept very well - there are lots of recipes if you google.I iced them with lemon butter cream and sprinkled them with edible glitter - very festive and easy too!

alibeli, May 3, 11:15pm
Hi, I use the "chelsea's favourite chocolate cake" recipe I found on the back of the sugar packet - and spoon into cupcake cases - very very nice!Ice with butter cream icing.Very easy recipe - but very very runny!
Here's the link:
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/baking-and-recipes/948/chelseas-favourite-chocolate-cake.aspx

motgirl, May 4, 10:07am
Owlen, from the Exculsive Foods website, this table is invaluable to me for scaling my cakes:

http://files.exclusivelyfood.com.au/tables/white-mud-cake-variations.pdf

elliehen, May 13, 12:26am
BLACK FOREST CUPCAKES(from Celebration Cupcakes, by Tamara Jane)
Chocolate Mud Cupcakes
Ingredients
225g self-raising flour (or 220g plain flour and 5g baking powder)
150g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
250g butter
200g dark chocolate, chopped
400g caster sugar
2 eggs
375ml hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line two 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.

Stir together the dry ingredients.

Melt the butter, chocolate and sugar together in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. Stir until smooth.

Allow to cool to just warm then beat on low speed, gradually adding the dry ingredients. Beat in the eggs, hot water and vanilla.

Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake papers. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.

Remove the cupcakes from the trays and allow to cool completely.

Cherry Filling
490g morello (sour) cherries
125ml water
125g caster sugar
4 Tbsp cornflour

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Boil gently for two minutes until smooth and thickened.

Pour into a container and cover. Refrigerate overnight. This will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.

Thick Ganache Icing
400g dark chocolate, chopped
375ml cream

Heat the cream until just boiling. Add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Cover and leave overnight, unrefrigerated. This will keep for up to three days at room temperature, or a week in the fridge.

Assembly
Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop a small piece out of the top of each cupcake. Spoon in some cherry filling and place the scooped out cake back on top.

Fill a piping bag fitted with a round or open star tip with the ganache (soften it with 10-second bursts in the microwave if required, until soft enough to pipe) and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes.

Celebration Cupcakes is written by Tamara Jane and published by New Holland, RRP $34.99