Need fail proof way to cook rice in microwave ...

jwatson, Apr 8, 5:55am
My rice cooker has died and I can not seem to be able to cook nice white rice any other way. Is there a fail proof way to cook it in the microwave where it won't go stodgy, dry or burnt? Thanks for your help

mull05, Apr 8, 7:05am
3 cups rice into bowl
fill with water making sure the rice is under about 2cms of it
in mic for 20 mins, a little longer if need be

mull05, Apr 8, 7:08am
my mother makes it this way but longer time in the mic for more rice, its beautiful. got her to teach my mrs too lol

jwatson, Apr 8, 7:11am
Thanks for that - so I don't need to cover it at all?

nanasee1, Apr 8, 7:14am
I work with 1. 5 cups boiling water to 1 cup of long grain rice. Wash the rice in cold until the water is clear, drain. Put rice in a 3 litre jug, add boilng water & cook on HIGH (1000 watt) uncovered for 16 minutes. Remove from microwave, cover with a tea towel or similar for 4 - 5 minutes then fluff with a fork. Works every time. Up to 2 cups of rice / 3 cups water will work in a 3 litre container, add 2 minutes for each extra 1/2 cup of rice.

mull05, Apr 8, 7:16am
after 20mins if it isnt quite ready then cover it and cook a further 3-5mins. im not sure of your mic wattage etc so time may vary slightly

natalie9, Apr 8, 9:26am
1 cup rice, 2 cups boiling water, 12 minutes on high. DONE.

1buzemum, Apr 8, 9:59am
I do this one too

beachluva2, Apr 17, 7:11am
1 cup rice, 2 cups hot water, salt, 14 minutes on high in the micro, in a covered dish... ... done!

margyr, Apr 17, 7:17am
agree with the last 2, except i put some salt in mine as well.

glendeb, Apr 17, 9:43pm
I do it that way too. I add 1 tsp of salt and a knob or butter. I do cover my bowl with gladwrap though.

Also make sure the bowl is big and deep

natalie9, Apr 17, 10:41pm
Never thought to add salt. I normally add white vinegar but that's just my preference and depending on what it's for maybe some tumeric for colour or other herbs. And never cover. Just so easy and stays warm sitting in the microwave for ages.

fmgirl, Feb 10, 9:41pm
my microwave has an automatic rice program - 1/2 cup of rice to 2 cups warm water and salt or stock. Combine in suitable bowl - push rice once and start - gets stirred half way through.