HomeKill Meat Television One

Page 2 / 2
magenta, Apr 30, 9:51am
A whole cattle beast is a huge amount.We have a small farm and I once had a beast killed which had an injury so the works would not take it.We were still eating the meat 2 years later!I do think it encourages you to eat more meat than you would normally.I have not had any sheep killed for the freezer either as I got sick of eating sheep meat.I really hate all the packaging that you get with supermarket meat, so I use the local butcher mostly.

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 30, 10:16am
There is only two of us and I had been gettingn 1/2 but the stock has run out so would love a source to purchase more.

mybooks, Apr 30, 10:23am
Another way that's been around a long time - ask your local butcher what the price would be for a whole, half or quarter of a beast - usually works out to be a good price too, and it'll be local to you. As with the programme method of buying, you can request how you want the meat processed and packed to suit you - ie.,if you don't like corned beef, have that meat made into something that you do like, etc.

No need then to purchase the beast live, wait the time till you can legally have it done, then hung, butchered, etc.etc.

aktow, Apr 30, 1:55pm
for yearsmy family bought half abeef, a whole sheep and a pork from my uncles farm. we were lucky we had a friend who was a butcher that cut it up free for us. sadly we only have a small freezer now and we prefer eating chicken to beef so we now buy off pak n save.

fran142, May 2, 4:48am
Cow pooling was the term they used in this programme, not many cows are used for home killls ! Hopefully young prime heifers or steers.

cookessentials, May 2, 5:02am
Yes, it is, but go in with others and share the amount and the cost.

dezzie, May 2, 5:05am
Yep it does, we had two freezers, and I used to empty one to fit in a beast, the idea being that we would not touch the "new" stuff, til all the mince and corned beef I moved into the other one were gone, never quite worked out that way tho, these were not huge tho, we used to get back around 180kgs of actual meat.

muddyt, May 2, 6:31am
four of us put money in buy a calf ( we are lucky enough to have somewhere we can raise it for free) a year or close enough send it to a local butcher, hence we dont buy very much meat from the supermarket, mostly chicken