Vanilla Question

jcsolgier, Apr 22, 2:51am
After nearly falling over at the price of vanilla beans in the supermarket I am looking at buying some off here. But could anyone tell me the difference between tongan/tahitian/madacascan/ind-
onesian vanilla! Cheers

elliehen, Apr 22, 3:05am
While you wait, here's a little history :)

http://www.vanillaplantations.com/

willyow, Apr 22, 3:44am
There are two main varieties of vanilla - planifolia and tahitensis -most people can't tell the difference. The tahitenisis are much fatter. They are slightly morefloral in their flavour - only experts seem to be able to tell the difference. Planifolia, in my view, makesa better vanilla extract- Tahitian, in my view, are better in baking and matchingwith with fruit flavours.

Yes - the supermarket prices for them areshocking -youcan buy them at a fraction of those prices if you lookat online selling sites ( maybenot too far from this one)

marcs, Apr 22, 4:55pm
I buy them from Ebay only because I live in Auz and I get them fairly cheap. I can not believe the price of them in the supermarkets. Never throw away the pods once you have scraped out the seeds. Put them in a bit of vodka and make your own vanilla esscence.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 6:51pm
Madagascar is the largest producer of vanilla in the world. I love both the Madagascan and the Tahitian. Bear in mind that pure vanilla/vanbilla extract imparts fabulous flavour and although far more expensive that the flavoured concoctions sold in many supermarkets, you just cannot beat it.