Vanilla extract vs Vanilla essence

Page 1 / 2
mickst4r, Jun 16, 7:25am
Is there a difference?Like if a recipe says vanilla extract but you dont have that, will it make a difference if I put vanilla essence in? Or should I really go and buy that vanilla extract?

ethans, Jun 16, 7:27am
you can use either or.One is natural [comes from vanilla pods]and costs more and I think from memory the other one is made from bark or something.

nzl99, Jun 16, 7:27am
Yes. BUT.

What is the recipe.Look if you're making a cake for the bake stand... or general baking... use the stuff which is more economical.

If you're making something where the flavours are delicate... or tha main feature is Vanilla... then go for the real thing.

In icecreams or sauces... I'd be breaking out the pods...

nzl99, Jun 16, 7:29am
The pod is from an orchid... google has a tonne of info if ya want. :-)Cinnamon is a bark. :-)

norse_westie, Jun 16, 7:38am
I've been spoiled for common vanilla essence now. I bought some lovely pods off TM and made my own with brandy. I also use the seeds as is for more delicate recipes. Baking has never been better with good quality vanilla.

auburn4, Jun 16, 9:00am
Make your own extract or create a DIY kit as a gift.Box up vanilla pods, attractive bottle and small bottle of vodka or other alcohol.
This works really well, the extract is beautiful. Get good quality vanilla pod..
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/

mickst4r, Jun 17, 7:25am
Is there a difference!Like if a recipe says vanilla extract but you dont have that, will it make a difference if I put vanilla essence in! Or should I really go and buy that vanilla extract!

nzl99, Jun 17, 7:27am
Yes. BUT.

What is the recipe.Look if you're making a cake for the bake stand. or general baking. use the stuff which is more economical.

If you're making something where the flavours are delicate. or tha main feature is Vanilla. then go for the real thing.

In icecreams or sauces. I'd be breaking out the pods.

nzl99, Jun 17, 7:29am
The pod is from an orchid. google has a tonne of info if ya want. :-)Cinnamon is a bark. :-)

norse_westie, Jun 17, 7:38am
I've been spoiled for common vanilla essence now. I bought some lovely pods off TM and made my own with brandy. I also use the seeds as is for more delicate recipes. Baking has never been better with good quality vanilla.

auburn4, Jun 17, 9:00am
Make your own extract or create a DIY kit as a gift.Box up vanilla pods, attractive bottle and small bottle of vodka or other alcohol.
This works really well, the extract is beautiful. Get good quality vanilla pod.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/

willyow, Jun 20, 9:03pm
Exercise caution withvanilla extract with the word 'natural' on the label - some brands are known to usevanillin extracted from woodpulp which tastes nothing like the real thing, but because it's from woodpulp they can legally label it ' natural '- they sometimes use the term' natural vanilla ' . It's sad that somebrands treat the consumer like a sucker.Some even put a few vanilla bean seeds in these days to try to convince you it is real.
I make vanilla extract using vanilla beans ( pods ) only the flavour profile is light years better.
Essence is usually artificial vanilla ( chemical)

kirinesha, Jun 20, 9:06pm
Willyow, I'd be interested in how you make your extract if you would be kind enough to feel like sharing it?

willyow, Jun 20, 9:42pm
It'scommercial production so we keep it fairly tight to our chest, as it took me four years to figure it out, and many thousands of dollars. However we do post a simple 'make your own vanilla extract ' recipe using the maceration method on some of our ads in the spices section of trademe - that makesreally nice extract, they're labelled Make Your Own Vanilla Extract" if you want to take a look.

All you need is some vodka and some vanilla beans - I've converted hundreds of Kiwis into doingthis - it's very economical and the extract is just great. If you're a foodieon abudget, it is well worth while.

angie461, Jun 20, 9:54pm
Vanilla paste is luscious.

cookessentials, Jun 20, 9:54pm
Vanilla essence is a chemically concocted "flavour" and cannot compare with a good quality vanilla extract. I only ever use the Madagascan vanilla extract and the vanilla paste. Madagascar is the worlds largest producer of vanilla.

cloudberry, Jun 20, 10:26pm
Willyow, I am one of the converted. My vodka and the lovely pods I bought from you are macerating nicely in the pantry. BTW, I bought some really good vanilla paste recently - Heilala brand. It is excellent, luscious and fragrant. Expensive, but a little goes a long way. I have given up buying Hansell's vanilla paste as it seems to be mainly sugar.

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:32pm
I agree...I use the Nielsen Massey vanilla paste in my mangomisu and it makes all the difference.

willyow, Jun 20, 10:52pm
Cloudberry - gladto hearyou are one of the converted

norse_westie, Jun 20, 11:21pm
I buy my vanilla pods off Willyow, (and some extract the first time) to make my own. I also buy Dutch cocoa, and like real vanilla, you will never ever go back to the crap you buy in the supermarket.

Willyows products are extremely good and the service is fantastic.

willyow, Jun 21, 8:10am
Thanks norse-westie - I try to please!

norse_westie, Jun 21, 8:26am
Do you do vanilla paste willyow?

valerie66, Jun 21, 8:57am
extract is pure from the bean and essence is flavoured
Heilala vanilla from tonga is beautiful

willyow, Jun 21, 9:03pm
Exercise caution withvanilla extract with the word 'natural' on the label - some brands are known to usevanillin extracted from woodpulp which tastes nothing like the real thing, but because it's from woodpulp they can legally label it ' natural '- they sometimes use the term' natural vanilla ' . It's sad that somebrands treat the consumer like a sucker.Some even put a few vanilla bean seeds in these days to try to convince you it is real.
I make vanilla extract using vanilla beans ( pods ) only the flavour profile is light years better.
Essence is usually artificial vanilla ( chemical)

kirinesha, Jun 21, 9:06pm
Willyow, I'd be interested in how you make your extract if you would be kind enough to feel like sharing it!