Vanilla paste and vanilla essence

Page 1 / 2
marley, Mar 22, 4:08am
I have run out of vanilla essence but I have vanilla paste - if my recipe says 1 tsp of vanilla essence how much vanilla paste do I use?

ribzuba, Mar 22, 4:23am
use the same, 1tsp is equvilent to 1 vanilla bean.and the paste is sooo much more yummy too!

dollertree, Mar 22, 5:06am
Where do you buy vanilla paste from...?

lizab, Mar 22, 5:09am
you can buy it at the supermarket - it's a horrendous price though. Over $10 for a little pot I think it was!!

suie1, Mar 22, 5:33am
Oh & I was just getting so excited, won't be able to fit it in our food budget!

dollertree, Mar 22, 5:43am
Really.....thought it would be cheap as essence. Never heard of vanilla paste before, will keep in mind next time i go shopping.

marley, Mar 22, 10:34am
Its called Heilala Vanilla Paste and I won it as part of a prize. Its really expensive but its absolutely divine....Im treating it like gold coz I couldnt normlly afford it otherwise. Actually I asked coz someone said to me that the paste is like concentrate so one teaspoon of paste to 1 of normal vanilla essence might be a vanilla overload - but if its the same then sweet.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 4:34pm
Vanilla essence is not actually vanilla in ANY form. Essence is a chemical concoction flavoured to "taste" like vanilla. For the small amount required, you cannot go past pure vanilla extract. I use the Neilsen-Massey Madagascan vanilla and vanilla paste. 1tbsp vanilla bean paste is = to 1 tsp vanilla extract. A 118ml jar will cost you around $24.50. The vanilla extract is about $14 for 59ml. You use far less than you would an essence and the flavour cannot be compared.

dollertree, Mar 22, 6:49pm
Thanks....have learned something here. Now i really want to buy that vanilla paste lol.

lizab, Mar 22, 8:52pm
you can make your own vanilla essence, by keeping a chopped up vanilla pod in a little brandy ;)

cookessentials, Mar 22, 9:17pm
You are welcome
Here is a link to Nielsen-massey and their frequently asked questions page which you may find helpful. lizab means extract, not essence.
http://www.nielsenmassey.com/faq.htm

wildflower, Mar 23, 3:22am
Real vanilla is so expensive because it's difficult to grow and from what I was reading in NZ Gardener each vanilla pod is hand pollinated!

cookessentials, Mar 23, 3:23am
yes they are and they break easily, so a very time consuming pocedure!

marley, Mar 23, 4:08am
I have run out of vanilla essence but I have vanilla paste - if my recipe says 1 tsp of vanilla essence how much vanilla paste do I use!

dollertree, Mar 23, 5:06am
Where do you buy vanilla paste from.!

lizab, Mar 23, 5:09am
you can buy it at the supermarket - it's a horrendous price though. Over $10 for a little pot I think it was!

suie1, Mar 23, 5:33am
Oh & I was just getting so excited, won't be able to fit it in our food budget!

dollertree, Mar 23, 5:43am
Really.thought it would be cheap as essence. Never heard of vanilla paste before, will keep in mind next time i go shopping.

marley, Mar 23, 7:46am
OK....I need 1 tbs then??? For the equivalent of the essence. And yes cookessentials thats what I heard now that you have jogge dmy memory....ANything that says essence is just some science lab project to taste like something....but extract is exactly that- its an extraction of something (in this case the vanilla) - you gave such clarity though cookessentials - thanks.I askeda question about sushi so if you have any thought son that it would be great on that thread...Thanks

marley, Mar 23, 10:34am
Its called Heilala Vanilla Paste and I won it as part of a prize. Its really expensive but its absolutely divine.Im treating it like gold coz I couldnt normlly afford it otherwise. Actually I asked coz someone said to me that the paste is like concentrate so one teaspoon of paste to 1 of normal vanilla essence might be a vanilla overload - but if its the same then sweet.

dollertree, Mar 23, 6:49pm
Thanks.have learned something here. Now i really want to buy that vanilla paste lol.

wildflower, Mar 24, 2:43am
I'm at least going to try the extract next time instead of essence, it lasts a long time after all.

fourkingz, Mar 24, 2:59am
This is the way to go. Auction 359669695. They smell so devine. And it came with a letter to make your own. Don't like vodka so will try the brandy one. Super fast delivery got them the next day and my mailbox smelled lovely.

wildflower, Mar 24, 3:22am
Real vanilla is so expensive because it's difficult to grow and from what I was reading in NZ Gardener each vanilla pod is hand pollinated!

marley, Mar 24, 7:46am
OK.I need 1 tbs then! For the equivalent of the essence. And yes cookessentials thats what I heard now that you have jogge dmy memory.ANything that says essence is just some science lab project to taste like something.but extract is exactly that- its an extraction of something (in this case the vanilla) - you gave such clarity though cookessentials - thanks.I askeda question about sushi so if you have any thought son that it would be great on that thread.Thanks