Vanilla extract vs Vanilla essence

Page 2 / 2
willyow, Jun 21, 9:42pm
It'scommercial production so we keep it fairly tight to our chest, as it took me four years to figure it out, and many thousands of dollars. However we do post a simple 'make your own vanilla extract ' recipe using the maceration method on some of our ads in the spices section of trademe - that makesreally nice extract, they're labelled Make Your Own Vanilla Extract" if you want to take a look.

All you need is some vodka and some vanilla beans - I've converted hundreds of Kiwis into doingthis - it's very economical and the extract is just great. If you're a foodieon abudget, it is well worth while.

cloudberry, Jun 21, 10:26pm
Willyow, I am one of the converted. My vodka and the lovely pods I bought from you are macerating nicely in the pantry. BTW, I bought some really good vanilla paste recently - Heilala brand. It is excellent, luscious and fragrant. Expensive, but a little goes a long way. I have given up buying Hansell's vanilla paste as it seems to be mainly sugar.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 10:32pm
I agree.I use the Nielsen Massey vanilla paste in my mangomisu and it makes all the difference.

willyow, Jun 22, 4:51am
norse-westie - no, we don't do avanilla paste yet - but I've been getting some great feedback from some of Auckland's topchefs about our vanilla extract at the La Cigale French market in Parnell where we operate on Saturdays. Vanilla paste is on the agenda.

cookessentials, Jun 22, 5:11am
Neilsen Massey do a wonderful paste. I wouldn't be without it.

norse_westie, Jun 22, 5:15am
Where do I get that from?

norse_westie, Jun 22, 8:26am
Do you do vanilla paste willyow!

willyow, Jun 22, 8:37pm
Norse_westie - You can buyNielson Massey from cookessentials online store - however the Heliala one isprobably the best paste, having picked up some major awards. We're working on one but it takesa long time to develop - you have to make batches then wait a long time to make sure they are stable.

cookessentials, Jun 22, 9:58pm
Lots of places sell it Norse_westie. I dont actually have any at the moment. I prefer the Neilsen-Massey and have used itpersonally for some time. Neilsen massey do a Tahitian and a madagascan ( Madagascar being the worlds largest producer of vanilla) Neilsen Massey are the Silver finalists for the NASFT Sofi Awards for 2011. They also do organic vanilla and their products are guaranteed gluten free. They have been making vanilla products since 1907 so they know their stuff.
Here is a little info for you to digest on the types of vanilla and what it is good for.You can also check out more info on their site.

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/whichvanillatouse.htm

cookessentials, Jun 22, 10:00pm
This should give you a general idea of vanilla and it's production Norse_westie
Since everyone loves vanilla, we should all know where it comes from and how it is made, right? Well, in case you are like most people (you're not quite sure), here is a little history on the origin and evolution of what has become today's vanilla.

Vanilla, the (really) early years
It is the ancient Totonaco Indians of Mexico who were the first keepers of the secrets of vanilla. When they were defeated by the Aztecs, they were demanded to relinquish their exotic fruit of the Tlilxochitl vine, vanilla pods.

When, in turn, the Aztecs were defeated by the conquering Spaniard, Hernando Cortez, he returned to Spain with the precious plunder - vanilla beans - which were combined with cacao to make an unusual and pleasing drink. For eighty years, this special beverage was only enjoyed by the nobility and the very rich. Then, in 1602, Hugh Morgan, apothecary to Queen Elizabeth I, suggested that vanilla could be used as a flavoring all by itself, and the versatility of the exotic bean was finally uncovered.

Today's vanilla we all know and love
Today, vanilla beans are grown in four main areas of the world. Each region produces vanilla beans with distinctive characteristics and attributes. Madagascar, an island off the east coast of Africa, is the largest producer of vanilla beans in the world and the ensuing vanilla is known as Madagascar Bourbon vanilla. The term Bourbon applies to beans grown on the Bourbon Islands - Madagascar, Comoro, Seychelle and Reunion. There is no connection with the liquor produced in Kentucky in the United States. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is considered to be the highest quality pure vanilla available, described as having a creamy, sweet, smooth, mellow flavor.

Indonesia is the second largest producer of vanilla, with a vanilla that is woody, astringent and phenolic. Madagascar and Indonesia produce 90 percent of the world's vanilla bean crop. Mexico, where the vanilla orchid originated, now produces only a small percentage of the harvest. Mexican vanilla is described as creamy, sweet, smooth and spicy. The last of the four major vanilla-producing regions is Tahiti. Tahitian vanilla, grown from a different genus of vanilla orchid, is flowery and fruity, anisic and smooth.

Vanilla, with its wide range of flavor profiles, can be applied to a vast array of products. It is one of the most widely used flavors in the world, particularly in ice cream. It finds its way into sauces in Mexico and cookies in Sweden. Vanilla flavors fruits in Polynesia and perfumes colognes in Paris. Anywhere there is a need for a mellow accent that compliments sweet and savory, plain and fancy, vanilla is there.

norse_westie, Jun 22, 11:45pm
Hey thats really interesting cookessentials. I love knowing the history of food items. It makes me enjoy them even more! I checked your listings but couldnt see any vanilla paste. Any chance you have any in stock and could list some for me, or link me to your website?TIA.

cookessentials, Jun 22, 11:53pm
I dont have any in stock at the moment, but will be getting more in. I usually have it listed if i do have it. We are on fb. It is amazing the subtle differences between each type of vanilla.

norse_westie, Jun 23, 12:45am
Thanks for that. I have put you as a favourite so I will get a reminder when you list it. :)

willyow, Jun 23, 4:51am
norse-westie - no, we don't do avanilla paste yet - but I've been getting some great feedback from some of Auckland's topchefs about our vanilla extract at the La Cigale French market in Parnell where we operate on Saturdays. Vanilla paste is on the agenda.

cookessentials, Jun 23, 5:11am
Neilsen Massey do a wonderful paste. I wouldn't be without it.

norse_westie, Jun 23, 5:15am
Where do I get that from!

willyow, Jun 23, 8:37pm
Norse_westie - You can buyNielson Massey from cookessentials online store - however the Heliala one isprobably the best paste, having picked up some major awards. We're working on one but it takesa long time to develop - you have to make batches then wait a long time to make sure they are stable.

cookessentials, Jun 23, 10:00pm
This should give you a general idea of vanilla and it's production Norse_westie
Since everyone loves vanilla, we should all know where it comes from and how it is made, right! Well, in case you are like most people (you're not quite sure), here is a little history on the origin and evolution of what has become today's vanilla.

Vanilla, the (really) early years
It is the ancient Totonaco Indians of Mexico who were the first keepers of the secrets of vanilla. When they were defeated by the Aztecs, they were demanded to relinquish their exotic fruit of the Tlilxochitl vine, vanilla pods.

When, in turn, the Aztecs were defeated by the conquering Spaniard, Hernando Cortez, he returned to Spain with the precious plunder - vanilla beans - which were combined with cacao to make an unusual and pleasing drink. For eighty years, this special beverage was only enjoyed by the nobility and the very rich. Then, in 1602, Hugh Morgan, apothecary to Queen Elizabeth I, suggested that vanilla could be used as a flavoring all by itself, and the versatility of the exotic bean was finally uncovered.

Today's vanilla we all know and love
Today, vanilla beans are grown in four main areas of the world. Each region produces vanilla beans with distinctive characteristics and attributes. Madagascar, an island off the east coast of Africa, is the largest producer of vanilla beans in the world and the ensuing vanilla is known as Madagascar Bourbon vanilla. The term Bourbon applies to beans grown on the Bourbon Islands - Madagascar, Comoro, Seychelle and Reunion. There is no connection with the liquor produced in Kentucky in the United States. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is considered to be the highest quality pure vanilla available, described as having a creamy, sweet, smooth, mellow flavor.

Indonesia is the second largest producer of vanilla, with a vanilla that is woody, astringent and phenolic. Madagascar and Indonesia produce 90 percent of the world's vanilla bean crop. Mexico, where the vanilla orchid originated, now produces only a small percentage of the harvest. Mexican vanilla is described as creamy, sweet, smooth and spicy. The last of the four major vanilla-producing regions is Tahiti. Tahitian vanilla, grown from a different genus of vanilla orchid, is flowery and fruity, anisic and smooth.

Vanilla, with its wide range of flavor profiles, can be applied to a vast array of products. It is one of the most widely used flavors in the world, particularly in ice cream. It finds its way into sauces in Mexico and cookies in Sweden. Vanilla flavors fruits in Polynesia and perfumes colognes in Paris. Anywhere there is a need for a mellow accent that compliments sweet and savory, plain and fancy, vanilla is there.

norse_westie, Jun 23, 11:45pm
Hey thats really interesting cookessentials. I love knowing the history of food items. It makes me enjoy them even more! I checked your listings but couldnt see any vanilla paste. Any chance you have any in stock and could list some for me, or link me to your website!TIA.