Feijoa and Vanilla Jelly recipe

Page 2 / 2
picxie, Apr 29, 11:50pm
How did you ground your sugar dreamers! Just in a food processor! I don't see what ordinary sugar wouldn't work. I've made jelly before with ordinary sugar, it turned out fine.

dreamers, Apr 30, 12:48am
Just with my stick whizz.Never buy castor sugar,just grind it if I need to.

elliehen, Apr 30, 1:11am
Hope you didn't add colour, korbo.Have just made mine and the colour is a delicate amber-pink.The colour changes after the sugar is added.

picxie, Apr 30, 1:12am
When cooking the feijoas initially, did you leave the lid on the pot or off! My feijoas are nearly cooked and ready to strain, but I've left the lid on so hope it's not too watery!

dreamers, Apr 30, 1:18am
I left the lid off,though I did find it took longer than specified for the second boil.I used my thermometer to tell when it was done.I also cut the whole Feijoa and put them into pot.I have just had some on cheese and crackers,delicious.

picxie, Apr 30, 1:26am
Hmmm . well not much I can do now. Will strain it and may just need to boil it longer later. Bummer, as I've broken my thermometer and was hoping it would only need 15 min boiling like it said! I'll just have to test regularly.

dreamers, Apr 30, 1:32am
If you think it is too watery,rapid boil to reduce liquid,then add your sugar after reducing down.I only ended up with 3 cupsof liquid and thought that was quite watery which maybe waswhy I had to boil longer.

picxie, Apr 30, 1:37am
Thanks, that gives me a good guideline as to how much liquid I should have! I've done 1.5kg of fruit, so I should have no more than 4.5 cups of liquid then.

makespacenow, Apr 30, 1:42am
Or use pectin stock it helps to set.you an omit sugar or reduce it.i find that if you are using vanilla pods or paste the sugar enhances the flavour so though i make just about everything sugar free when using vanilla i tend to use 10-15% of the stated amount of sugar.

picxie, Apr 30, 2:48am
Hmmm . I've only got 2 cups of liquid out of 1.5kgs fruit. I'll leave it to drain all afternoon, but I don't think I'll get any more out of that unless I squeeze the bag! Which I won't do of course. How much liquid did others get!

mctavi, Apr 30, 6:58am
I got about 2.5 cups of liquid, and following the recipe and adding the sugar like it says, it made about 4 jars of jam!

korbo, Apr 30, 9:54am
out of 1.5kg I got 3 cups juice, and 4 baby food jars. I did add a wee wee drop of red colouring and it does look lovely. Also have the amber look as well.

elliehen, Apr 30, 9:58am
I leave the lid on, but when you add water to the feijoas, the water level should be just below the top layer of fruit rather than just above, or you'll get too much liquid.

picxie, May 1, 4:08am
Well I only got 2 1/2 cups of liquid out of 1.5 kgs of fruit, so I heated up the feijoas again with a little bit of extra water and got another 1/2 cup out of it. So 3 cups all up. But only ended up with 3 1/2 jars of jelly. I think I cooked it too long and it evaporated a bit too much. Jelly is edible and very nice but a bit too thick. Only cooked for 15min but I think I had it too hot as when the timer went off and I went back to the stove (I only watched if for the first half) it was on a very rolling bubbly boil. Never mind, still nice, but I think I'll try another batch.