Whole wheat flour?

lala2, Apr 10, 9:20pm
I have the Nourishing Traditions cook book and would like to make the herb bread in it, however it says to use either spelt, kumut or whole wheat flour, would the whole wheat flour bewholemeal flour or stoneground white flour! just a little unsure of which to use.

very_hotpants, Apr 10, 11:10pm
Yes it is - google whole wheat flour vs wholemeal flour and there are loads of websites that confirm this. one is american and the other english

auzzi, Apr 10, 11:26pm
International products can have difficulty matching up ..
Very loosely speaking, US "whole wheat" = UK NZ AU "wholemeal" = Indian "atta"

- US stone-ground whole wheat = whole kernel finely ground as is..
- US Whole wheat flour = white flour with wheat bran added back without the wheat germ.
- US Graham flour = separated out white flour, finely ground, with wheat bran and wheat germ added back

Nourishing Traditions [US publication] differentiates between "stone ground" and "whole wheat" as they are two different products. US "stone ground" will always include endosperm, bran and germ while US "whole wheat" varies greatly as to what it contains.

Ordinary NZ 100% Wholemeal flour contains all parts of the wheat grain including the bran and germ. Most products appear to be rolled not stone ground. Roller-milling crushes the wheat while stone-milling grinds.

BUT .. Anything listed just as "wholemeal": check the packet as it is may not be 100% but rather a flour mixture or an "add-back" flour.

Nourishing Traditions is into holistic - go with either ordinary wholemeal or stone-ground, as long as it is 100% ..

lala2, Apr 11, 1:02am
Thanks very_hotpants and buzzy110, I do buy organic stoneground flour, I just wasn't sure which to use. I noticed that the spelt also has white and wholemeal, any way I think I will go with the stoneground wholemeal. I do live in Auckland and normally order online through naturally organics.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 2:29am