Cracked Wheat

buttercup13, Nov 20, 4:07am
Can anyone tell me if cracked wheat is readily availble.Just went to my neighbouring healthfood shop and they didnt know where to get it. Tried to sell me bulgar .... is that the same??I have a recipe for cracked wheat and cashew salad - sounds yum.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 4:15am
Kibbled wheat is the same thing. Health food shop should have known that. Bulgar is also the same but it is steamed and toasted before being cracked/kibbled and requires less cooking because it is partially cooked during steaming.

lenart, Nov 20, 4:20am
From the Internet: "Cracked or kibbled wheat is the dried whole grains cut by steel blades. Bulgur wheat, made from the whole grains steamed before cracking, only needs rehydrating by soaking in boiling water or stock". I liked cracked wheat more and make it now myself in a grain mill. Before I was buying it from BinInn.

buttercup13, Nov 20, 4:22am
Thank you Buzzy...I was most surprised at Piko (health, whole food place)Im off to suoermarket for kibbled wheat :-)

buttercup13, Nov 20, 5:28am
thanks lenart.....i did google but just got confused lol

gr8stuf4me, Nov 20, 9:37am
Sounds delicious buttercup, would you be so kind as to share your recipe - Id like to give it a go too.TIA

buttercup13, Nov 20, 8:49pm
yes....i will go find it ...i wrote it down in a cafe last week so will be in my bag"somewhere" !!!!

buttercup13, Nov 20, 11:32pm
Heat 2 tbl olive oil in large pot.Add 225g cracked wheat and stir like you would a risotto.
Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1 cup roasted salted cashew nuts.
Boil and then turn down to a simmer.Cover and cook 5-8 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
Transfer into a bowl and dress with....2 tbl lemon juice, 1 crushed garlic clove, 2 tbl finely sliced mint, 2 tbl finely chopped parsely and season.

calista, Nov 21, 1:23am
buttercup. that sounds yummy, think I'll make it too.

buttercup13, Aug 22, 5:54pm
lol.....countdown didnt have cracked OR kibbled wheat so im still stuck!!oh well.....might get to try "my" recipe one day :-)