Garlic

nick541, Mar 23, 8:04pm
I bought a bag og garlic the other day and want to make homemade soup , the garlic is yellow inside of each bulb , is this ok or is it off . !

harrislucinda, Mar 23, 8:13pm
wasitnzorfrom china!some timesminehomegrownhasoffwhitesbulbscouldbepastuseby date

davidt4, Mar 23, 9:08pm
Doesn't sound too good.The flesh should be a creamy ivory colour.I think yours is stale.

nick541, Mar 23, 10:02pm
I think it must be off ,definatly not ivory colour. it is Yellow. the skins are lovely and white tho so when I purchased it there was no indication of how fresh it was

bisloy, Mar 24, 1:46am
Should be able to tell by the smell. Are they soft or firm!

fisher, Mar 24, 2:31am
soft == no good. firm== no probs.

makespacenow, Mar 24, 2:49am
u bought the horrible chinese one.
you will not get good soup out of it even if it is ok.i know nz grown is expensive but the chinese stuff is useless and chemically treated.

katj90, Mar 24, 11:51pm
I bought some that was the same, it's gone off. Try growing your own, on the shortest day of the year or close to it, just stick some cloves into the ground (make sure they're right side up) and harvest it on or close to the longest day. They need no care at all! home grown is the nicest I've ever tasted.

mopar9, Mar 25, 12:44am
Garlic in the shops seems to be always importedso I got mine off here has lots more flavor and keeps well. Don't buy garlic from supermarkets any more.

sarahb5, Mar 25, 4:23am
The fresh garlic they sell loose in Countdown at the moment all seems to be purple and is far too soft to crush properly - would be good roasted but it is too wet to crush and the outside "skin" isn't papery either.

davidt4, Mar 25, 6:10am
That sounds like freshly pulled garlic (known as wet garlic).It is delicious, especially if you roast whole bulbs.It does seem a bit late in the season though.

iman007, Mar 25, 7:36am
a friend on mine gives me garlic the way the french do it, all plaited up about 400mm long, looks cool in the kitchen.He grows it himself

nick541, Mar 25, 7:51am
yep I will plantsome garlic ,and buy some more that is certified organic.